2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: 1 saong to represent humanity

World Destruction by Johnny Lydon/Afrika Bambaattaa

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity:
    War Requiem, Benjamin Britten It'll scare the sht out of the aliens
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Britten's War Requiem is probably the most emotionally shattering musical work I know.  For pure scariness though I'd have to go with the Sacrifical Dance from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring which as EES noted is in fact on the Voyager playlist.  There's probably a youtube somewhere with the Nijinsky choreography - the character dances herself to death.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : Britten's War Requiem is probably the most emotionally shattering musical work I know.  For pure scariness though I'd have to go with the Sacrifical Dance from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring which as EES noted is in fact on the Voyager playlist.  There's probably a youtube somewhere with the Nijinsky choreography - the character dances herself to death.
    Posted by gerbs

gerbs, 
    Is your outlook really that somber, my friend?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After.

The message seems more appropriate now than ever.

But we won't have to send a recording on a spaceship, UFO's have been here and will soon return. They will access our databanks and retrieve all information about us ( most likely we will have destroyed all life by then) , they will scratch their heads ( assuming they have heads) and wonder why fools were dancing to groups dressed in Halloween costumes singing about the YMCA. They will wonder what "boogie, oogie, oogie" means. They will take one look at artists like Alice Cooper, David Bowie and Lady Gaga and figured we'd all gone insane around 1970. They will view videos of the Talking Heads and Devo and groan.

They will likely say something like this, "Beam us up Scotty, there has never been nor is there now any intelligent life on this world."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

we should beam the song into the depths of the oceans, because thats where the "aliens" are :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It's a Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

"I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After.

The message seems more appropriate now than ever.

Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Good call.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUyGYG7MuQk&feature=related

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : gerbs,  Is your outlook really that somber, my friend?  
    Posted by yogafriend

Heck no, it wasn't me that was first to try scaring the s**t out of the aliens!

But I do think humanity is too complex to represent in 1 song.  The Voyager playlist isn't bad in terms of diversity, and our humble group as always picks some great stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

"I'd Love To Change The World" by Ten Years After. The message seems more appropriate now than ever. But we won't have to send a recording on a spaceship, UFO's have been here and will soon return. They will access our databanks and retrieve all information about us ( most likely we will have destroyed all life by then) , they will scratch their heads ( assuming they have heads) and wonder why fools were dancing to groups dressed in Halloween costumes singing about the YMCA. They will wonder what "boogie, oogie, oogie" means. They will take one look at artists like Alice Cooper, David Bowie and Lady Gaga and figured we'd all gone insane around 1970. They will view videos of the Talking Heads and Devo and groan. They will likely say something like this, "Beam us up Scotty, there has never been nor is there now any intelligent life on this world."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

THIS is why I don't have to worry about my own personal survival.  Because I do know what "boogie oogie oogie" means.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I knew that Beethoven's 5th and Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode was on the Voyager probe, but I didn't realize how much more music was on there.  This is from NASA's website: » Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40 » Java, court gamelan, "Kinds of Flowers," recorded by Robert Brown. 4:43 » Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08 » Zaire, Pygmy girls' initiation song, recorded by Colin Turnbull. 0:56 » Australia, Aborigine songs, "Morning Star" and "Devil Bird," recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26 » Mexico, "El Cascabel," performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14 » "Johnny B. Goode," written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38 » New Guinea, men's house song, recorded by Robert MacLennan. 1:20 » Japan, shakuhachi, "Tsuru No Sugomori" ("Crane's Nest,") performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51 » Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55 » Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55 » Georgian S.S.R., chorus, "Tchakrulo," collected by Radio Moscow. 2:18 » Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52 » "Melancholy Blues," performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05 » Azerbaijan S.S.R., bagpipes, recorded by Radio Moscow. 2:30 » Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35 » Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48 » Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20 » Bulgaria, "Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin," sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59 » Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57 » Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, "The Fairie Round," performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17 » Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Service. 1:12 » Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38 » China, ch'in, "Flowing Streams," performed by Kuan P'ing-hu. 7:37 » India, raga, "Jaat Kahan Ho," sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30 » "Dark Was the Night," written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15 » Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37 Happy listening -- and take me to your leader.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich

No wonder ET won't contact us, no Beatles songs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : Heck no, it wasn't me that was first to try scaring the s**t out of the aliens! But I do think humanity is too complex to represent in 1 song.  The Voyager playlist isn't bad in terms of diversity, and our humble group as always picks some great stuff.
    Posted by gerbs
    Okay, glad to hear you say that (and I didn't think so -- but just had to check).  Relieved. :)   

Why do we need to scare aliens, anyhow?  Maybe try winning them over, you know?  That's the ticket to my way of thinking, as a girl human, of course.  :D

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : No wonder ET won't contact us, no Beatles songs.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I'm the only one here who posted a Beatles song.  I was surprised you didn't, too.  Whaddup?  :D 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

I would go with Southern Cross.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : I'm the only one here who posted a Beatles song.  I was surprised you didn't, too.  Whaddup?  :D  
    Posted by yogafriend

Yes, you are correct.

I AM THE WALRUS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : I'm the only one here who posted a Beatles song.  I was surprised you didn't, too.  Whaddup?  :D  
    Posted by yogafriend

Across the Universe?

duh!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: 1 saong to represent humanity : Across the Universe? duh!
    Posted by phsmith8

good call.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Late to the party, and many good suggestions. I will add the following ... "Walk On" by U2.

They played it right after 9/11 on benefit show the networks ran. Though they had written the song prior to 9/11 (about the activist Aung San Suu Kyi), I though the lyrics capsulated what needed to be said. Especially ...

And I know it aches
    How your heart it breaks
    And you can only take so much
    Walk on, walk on

Ever since that night, I've always considered it such a powerful and uplifting song.

Oh, and neat topic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

After seeing the show last night ...

Make Our Garden Grow, from "Candide"

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts