121212 Concert - Hurricane Sandy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

121212 Concert - Hurricane Sandy

What were they thinking have Kanye West follow Roger and Pete who happened to be in vintage form. 

Very impressed with Waters and Vedder.

Stones- boring.

Last comment - Bruce and Bon Jovi - you both still are two of the most over-rated rockers ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: 121212 Concert - Hurricane Sandy

Water's, the Wall, was the highlight, as was Vedder. I wish it was Gilmour on guitar though, that would have been better. Waters comments on 60 year+ old rockers was funny( in context to our discussions here), and leaving it to McCartney to close it out was just right. Springsteen was excellent, especially on "My City of Ruins." The Who, Clapton, A Key's and the Stones all sounded good imo.  Kudos to all the performers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

glad too see something done to help victims. It's awesome. I didn't watch myself. Not one of the acts would excite me..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Agree, completely and utterly re: Vedder.  So good.  I channel surfed and found the concert on a free TV station, arriving in time for Waters' set.   Was not completely riveted for all of the acts, though, and had to check out before it was over.  Bon Jovi, no comment (in case JE is reading this ... ).  :)     Alicia Keys was a highlight for me, as I have become a fan of Keys.   I saw her in an interview recently; she has an amazing photograph of Stevie Wonder in her home and clearly considers him one of the greatest influences of her life and adores him.   In listening to her in the concert,  that influence was crystal; she's so organic.  

Read that the concert was based almost solely on "classic rock" music and rock stars (rather obvious, duh), as the fans of classic rock tend to be older and have deeper pockets in terms of a fundraiser.   From the reaction at MSG, the audience was having the time of their lives,  and if the rockers helped raise money, they deserve a world of credit.  I don't think Springsteen is over-rated, but he might be suffering from over-exposure at this type of event.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

There were some really good performances.Roger Waters was solid as usual.The Who doing a tribute to Keith Moon during the song "Bell Boy' and Clapton singing "Nobody loves you (when you're down and out)were highlights for me.Paul McCartney showed he can still bring it.I especially enjoyed "Cut me some slack" when he teamed up with the former members of Nirvana.

The Stones were disappointing to me.They only played 2 songs (Thanks for stopping by guys) and seemed like they were sleepwalking through the set.IMO,they could have also picked a better song than "You got me rockin'" to play. 

Here's the song list:

Bruce Springsteen
    “Land Of Hope And Dreams”
    “Wrecking Ball”
    “My City Of Ruins/Jersey Girl”
    “Born To Run” (with Jon Bon Jovi)

Roger Waters
    “In the Flesh?”
    “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)”
    “Money”
    “Us And Them”
    “Comfortably Numb” (with Eddie Vedder)

Jon Bon Jovi
    “It’s My Life”
    “Wanted Dead or Alive”
    “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” (with Bruce Springsteen)
    “Livin’ on a Prayer”

Eric Clapton
    “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out”
    “Got To Get Better In A Little While”
    “Crossroads”

The Rolling Stones
    “You Got Me Rocking”
    “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”
    Alicia Keys
    “Brand New Me”
    “No One”

The Who
    “Who Are You”
    “Bell Boy”
    “Pinball Wizard”
    “See Me, Feel Me”/”Listening to You”
    “Baba O’Riley”
    “Love, Reign o’er Me”
    “Tea and Theatre”

Kanye West
    “Clique”
    “Power”
    “Jesus Walks”
    “All Of The Lights”/”Run This Town”
    “Diamonds” remix (featuring recorded Rihanna vocals)
    “Touch the Sky”
    “Gold Digger”
    “Good Life”
    “Runaway”
    “Stronger”

Billy Joel
    “Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)”
    “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)”
    “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
    “New York State of Mind”
    “The River of Dreams”
    “You May Be Right”
    “Only the Good Die Young”

Chris Martin
    “Viva La Vida”
    “Losing My Religion” (R.E.M. song; with Michael Stipe)
    “Us Against The World”

Paul McCartney
    “Helter Skelter”
    “Let Me Roll It”
    “Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five”
    “My Valentine” (with Diana Krall)
    “Blackbird”
    “Cut Me Some Slack” (with Nirvana’s Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear)
    “I’ve Got a Feeling”
    “Live and Let Die”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

My highlights:

My City of Ruins, Comfortably Numb, entire sets by Clapton and The Who, Miami 2017

@mrmojo - thanks for posting the list though I don't see the Adam Sandler/Paul Shaffer parody of Hallelujah (lol)

Chris Martin put me to sleep so I missed McCartney :(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Ronnie and Mick ought to do some PSA's on the dangers of too much sun.

Here I thought it was the swimming pools of booze and mountains of cocaine & etc they crammed through their bodies...

On a completely different note, I haven't listened to the clip yet, but apparently McCartney sang with the remnants of Nirvana:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/12/13/nirvana_members_and_paul_mccartney_perform_cut_me_some_slack_video.html

[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to see the clip for McCartney and the surviving members of Nirvana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TR3vtXP_WM

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I tuned in for Waters and McCartney and saw samples of the rest.

Except for those two, most of what I saw seemed a bit thrown together and phoned in.

Going forward, I'll be happy to listen, but I will have misgivings about watching the Stones or Who or Billy Joel perform live.  Clapton was OK albeit with a spare rhythm section.

Have to hand it to Sir Paul.  A full docket of big-timers and he still closes out the night triumphantly.  He might be worth a last look up close.

Just curious, but why no Paul Simon??  Seems he would have been a shoo-in for a NY/NJ benefit....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I conked off just about the time the concert started. This old geezer couldn't stay awake for those old geezers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What were they thinking have Kanye West follow Roger and Pete who happened to be in vintage form. 

Very impressed with Waters and Vedder.

Stones- boring.

Last comment - Bruce and Bon Jovi - you both still are two of the most over-rated rockers ever.

[/QUOTE]

Agree on most of this.

Would have rather seen Gilmore with Waters (or by himself), but Vedder certainly did an excellent job.

It was probably a good idea to more Kanye West after The Who. It gave the fans a chance to relax before another good act came out.

The Who didn't steal the show like they did in 2001, but they certainly were one of the best acts -- if not the best act -- of the night. It started slow. They should have started with "My Generation" -- something that really jumps out -- instead of "Who Are You," which is OK but not among my favorite Who songs.

I liked the idea of paying tribute to Keith Moon with Bell Boy, but I would have gone with something else. If they wanted something offbeat that Roger doesn't sing, they could have gone with "Athena." Or they could have gone with something else offbeat like "Summertime Blues," "Twist and Shout," or to stick it the Stones, they could have done "The Last Time," which is a Stones song that they recorded back in the 1960s.

After "Bell Boy" they really got into a groove and kick butt, even if they didn't do "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Agree about Springsteen, but disagree about Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi isn't anything special in the innovative or cultural aspect. But they (talking about group, not individual) play kick-azz rock-and-roll and simply put on an entertaining show that can get the crowd going.

To me, The Who and Bon Jovi were two best acts as far as getting the crowd into it, with Vedder saving the Roger Waters set.

Clapton also stood out as one of the best acts as the night. He came across as sort of that elderstatesman, showing pure talent in a low-key way.

Obviously, it was smart to have so many groups that the Baby Boomers like, since they're older and more likely to have money. Still, it's funny how some of the top acts last night were the top acts from Live Aid back in 1985.

Should have brought in Elton John, kicked out the Stones and talked Led Zep to stay in town after being on Letterman last week. Then all they would have needed to do was channel Freddie Mercury from the grave. Now that would have been a great show.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Enjoyed the show very much (and, yes, made a contribution). Bummed I missed Springsteen, who is as overrated as Wayne Gretzky, but I'll catch him on the repeat.

I thought McCartney was spectacular. He played two my favorites ("Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" and "Let Me Roll It"). I would say I hope I look that good when I'm 70, but I'd settle for looking that good now. Not to mention his energy.

Daltrey also was in vintage form. Eddie Vedder helping Pink Floyd with "Comfortably Numb" was outstanding. To me, the surprise was Alecia Keys, who I had never really listened to before. What an outstanding talent (awfully easy on the eyes, too, but that's neither here nor there). Loved her closing with "Empire State of Mind."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Happened to enjoy Paul with Nirvana. Grohl has got to be one of the biggest fans of Rock that I have ever seen. Billy Joel was also excellent. 

Would of liked to have seen Dylan there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Happened to enjoy Paul with Nirvana. Grohl has got to be one of the biggest fans of Rock that I have ever seen. Billy Joel was also excellent. Would of liked to have seen Dylan there. 

I would have liked to have seen more female performers, and am surprised you didn't mention the absence of female rockers (such as Joan Jett) from the get-go.  :)

I mentioned in my earlier post that Alicia Keys was a highlight for me, but failed to mention the absence of other female singers.   A 6-hour concert with only one female performer?  Males rule in classic rock.  

If there had to be only one, I'm down with Keys being the one; she made a statement.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I failed to mention Paul with Nirvana, which I also enjoyed. Grohl is so fun to watch -- you can tell he truly enjoys rock and roll. After the song, he had a look on his face that said, "Holy s---, this is so f------ cool!"

Agree there should have been more women. I'd have loved to have seen Chrissie Hynde, for example.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Enjoyed the show very much (and, yes, made a contribution). Bummed I missed Springsteen, who is as overrated as Wayne Gretzky, but I'll catch him on the repeat.

[/QUOTE]

Tell 'em, Lloyd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'll second the plaudits for Alicia Keys, whom I sorely failed to mention earlier.

She is an incredible talent; by most accounts, a musical prodigy who more than held her own with some heavyweights.

I have her debut and unplugged discs, but I need to hear more of her.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga - Would have loved to seen Joan and Lita get together for the show.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I DVR'd Roger. 

Kanye in a pleated leather skirt confirmed what a dick he is.

[/QUOTE]

Like Kanye did at the Grammy's one year to her, it is too bad that Taylor Swift couldn't have come out on stage and taken the mike away from him.

Sections
Shortcuts