2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands?

I asked a 21 year old co-worker this question at the convention center I work at in Cleveland.  He said: "There's really not that many bands out there right now, its mostly solo artists and Techno" (music).  That kind of surprised me.  After prodding him on a little, he said 'the only good band he could think of was the Black Eyed Peas'.  I told him that I might ask this question on the internet music section of the Boston Globe. Since then, he has been prodding me on to start this thread.  So here it is. What could you tell us about national bands of the last 11 years?  Who are the better ones?

Update: by "National" I meant any rock band from anywhere on Earth that is more than locally or regionally prominant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands?

What is a "national" band?  Top 40...??

I'm not being facetious...just looking for a definition of terms.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Do the Foo Fighters count? If not, I have no idea. I would imagine Kings of Leon would be on the list. I think Arcade Fire comes from Canada, so they wouldn't count. I am sure there are so many more, but I am old and have no clue.

Matty, PHS and a few others would be your cource of information on this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: 2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands?:
    [QUOTE]What is a "national" band?  Top 40...?? I'm not being facetious...just looking for a definition of terms.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Any rock band from anywhere on earth that is more than locally or regionally prominent.  Thank you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cavs,
    We had this discussion not that long ago, so I bumped up the thread.  The discussion centered on music from the past 10 years, so you might just want to take a look at it.

We did not think very well of the music, as you'll see.

BTW, I was talking to a 19-year old guy friend and his favorite artists are Dylan and Nick Drake.  Also lots of blues and roots music.  Nothing very current.  And his guilty pleasure is the Bee Gees, since he grew up with his mother playing them (and lots of disco) when he was a kid. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Kings Of Leon
    Green Day (I know they're from the 90's)
    The White Stripes
    Muse
    Wilco
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    Velvet Revolver
    The Killers
    The Strokes
    Jet

A good list, but weak compared to previous decades....dam internet!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

The Shins
    Modest Mouse
    Death Cab for Cutie
    MGMT
    Snow Patrol
    The Engineers
    Sigur Ros
    Vampire Weekend
    The Fray
    Neon Trees
    Mumford and Sons

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If you're 21, your time horizon is about 6 months.  Besides, if a person said Solo Artist or Techno, they listen to dance music, not rock.

Pearl Jam rules.
    Modest Mouse is cool

RadioHead seems to have jumped the Shark.  They need to get over themselves and put something out that's listenable.  OK Computer was great but stop trying to out do it.  Put out something a little more accessible.

I think the Foo Fighters are a little overrated.  I'm trying to like them but it aint taking.

I would agree that this has been a relatively weak decade. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

NPO and really, does it matter what decade they started playing? 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    The White Stripes
    Green Day
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Foo Fighters
    Audioslave
    Incubus
    Pearl Jam
    Weezer
    A Perfect Circle
    Linkin Park
    Dave Matthews
    Muse
    Blink-182
    The Flaming Lips
    Phish
    Slipknot
    Korn
    Five For Fighting
    Guster
    Matchbox Twenty
    Jane's Addiction
    Sonic Youth
    Simple Plan
    Kings Of Leon
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Creed
    Three Days Grace
    Godsmack

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i have to leave work but i'll be all over this tomorrow...some really good choices listed so far. to be continued...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Coldplay sux.  I don't understand why FNX plays them so often.

I think Jane's Addicition is funny.  I can't think of another band that has the same song on so many different CDs.

I think most of the bands on Yoga's list put their best music out in the 90s.  In any event, if you're 21, most of those bands are going to seem really old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

They were 90's bands, correct.  But many are still going strong, so what's the difference?  I don't hear Coldplay played on FNX very much these days (at least when I'm listening) -- and they were never on my radar, to be honest.  But overall,  it's hard to say.  I take lots of fitness classes with loads of twenty somethings and you'd be surprised what is popular on their radar.   Lots of them feel ripped off by the current music because it's not very good, and are digging back further. 

Lots listen to top 40 music, plain and simple.  Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady GaGa  --- that's what's out there that many are complaining about, frankly. 
    Also loads and loads of rap, but that's not a band.

And the OP asked for national bands, not obscure bands that lots of kids like, many of which are local and regional, the way that many bands started out around here.  A large percentage of what I used to listen to in college was local, not national. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]Coldplay sux.  I don't understand why FNX plays them so often. Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

This 50-something respectfully disagrees, and I presume some percentage of FNX listeners (possibly even some that are younger!) does as well.

[QUOTE]In any event, if you're 21, most of those bands are going to seem really old.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but old does not necessarily equate to bad (or new to good).  When I was 21, even The Who seemed old.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands? : This 50-something respectfully disagrees, and I presume some percentage of FNX listeners (possibly even some that are younger!) does as well. Maybe so, but old does not necessarily equate to bad (or new to good).  When I was 21, even The Who seemed old.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on Coldplay, Gerbs.  One of my favorite bands. 

And even though my sons (19 and 16 years old) have some Taylor Swift and Usher on their Ipods' , almost all of yogi's list is also on them. They don't consider the bands too old.

And they both listen to Arcade Fire.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i was really into coldplay at first, but they turned real sappy real quick. also they stole a song from satriani, possibly their biggest hit...

some good quotes here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tWjja5HIWU&feature=related

a theoretical approach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4&feature=related

radiohead, through and through. those who think they jumped the shark, may want to consider jumping that shark themselves...talk about exploration.

muse - killer three-piece. the older the material the better with them IMO

sufjan stevens - if you haven't, download Illinois. phenomenal instrumentation, and such a variety of sounds.

the flaming lips - they've been around forever, but yoshimi battles the pink robots was their best album since transmissions from the satellite heart

iron and wine - beautiful music

more later...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Cavs, We had this discussion not that long ago, so I bumped up the thread.  The discussion centered on music from the past 10 years, so you might just want to take a look at it. We did not think very well of the music, as you'll see. BTW, I was talking to a 19-year old guy friend and his favorite artists are Dylan and Nick Drake.  Also lots of blues and roots music.  Nothing very current.  And his guilty pleasure is the Bee Gees, since he grew up with his mother playing them (and lots of disco) when he was a kid. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
         I apologize for being redundant.  In the back of my mind, I thought this thread could have been done before but I wasn't sure.  I will look up the other similar thread.  I reposted for the benefit of my work friend who prodded me on, a little. Hopefully, he will look up this forum on the internet, when I tell him.
         Also, I can see by reading all the very informative posts that there really is still a lot of bands around.  Thank you. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I would be no help with this. I tend to enjoy Indy rock music way more than the biog national acts. Someone mentioned Arcade Fire (only part of the band is from Montreal, lead singer is I believe originally form texas). AF is really an indy band that has made it big.. I was one that was pig headed for years thinking there was no one good since the early 90's. But I was wrong. My daughter has helepd me find a whole new variety of bands who I have grown to enjoy.. For  me the best are:

Interpol
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    The Oblivians
    Titus Andronicus
    Waaves
    Beach Fossils (playing tonight in boston Smile)
    Foo Fighters

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cavs,
    Not redundant at all, just thought the other thread had lots of good thoughts in it, and remembered it, especially since Matty had created a huge list.  

The thing for your co-worker is that he's either going to have heard of lots of these bands, (and may already know he likes or dislikes them!), or he's going to be interested enough to check them out. The lists just give him ideas. 

On a more general and less personalized note that adheres strictly to the parameters of the past decade, he can check this out or do other similar internet searches:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-best-albums-of-the-decade.html?p=4

And reading the comments is worth it, too.  Lots of disagreement.  But at least it's somewhere to start, you know? 

Here's one of the comments, for example:

"Wow, what a cheesy list. I'll give you Radiohead, Outkast, and even the White Stripes, but just about everything else is just generic crap that no one on earth will remember in 10 or 20 years.

Hell, we can't even remember most of it now.

'The Love Below' was the most innovative r&b album in decades, but you somehow forgot that one and put Outkast's less interesting choice on the list? How quaint.

And nothing from folk-rock icon Ani DiFranco? What about Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP'?

I sure am glad, though, that you managed to include one of the trendiest (and most hilariously unoriginal) artists of the decade, the Avett Brothers, because this band's music may become necessary someday if you ever need to induce a comatose state.

You guys are idiots."

One person's opinion. 
    :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i personally respect a few rappers who i consider linguistically to be off the charts, but mostly producers are who i really give the props to.

eminem's marshall mather's LP and the chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre have some of the best production i have ever heard.  em's lyrics are often sick and twisted, but on this cd and to some extent its predecessor (slim shady LP) his lyricism is unbelievable. so many crazy internal rhymes, even iambic pentameter, it blows my mind.

as for outkast, speakerboxx/the love below was one of my top albums of the 2000's for sure.  the two discs balanced each other out amazingly, some seriously awesome material.

KANYE WEST's first cd college dropout is the best example of soul-sampling i have ever heard.  he was pre-super pretentious ego, and had been making it as a producer for the likes of jay-z...seriously, every track is FUN! i got pulled over for the first time while listening to the song "kanye's workout plan pt 2" (pick up the blunt don't disrespect the weed, pick up your son don't disrespect your seed, ooh girl your breath is harsh, cover your mouth up like you got SARS).
    anything by kanye after this cd is garbage IMHO.

jay-z is good too, he creates a lot of polyrhythms with his verses over the beat itself.  his lyrics are more about himself than anything else, whereas people like eminem and big boi rap about anything and everything, most times not about how cool they look or how great they are.

if you are looking for intelligent rappers who actually care about the language and what they say, you gotta check these guys out.

talib kwali
    mos def
    lupe fiasco
    blackthought
    (from the roots, perpetually underrated)
    hieroglyphics (offshoot, del tha funkee homosapien...most famous for his cameo on clint eastwood by gorillaz [who are also really amazing, btw].)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]Newman, you said Velvet Revolver. Are they still together? I thought STP was supposed to have reformed with Scott Wylan...either this or last year, or perhaps even the year before. In fact, I thought I saw a few youtube clips of them playing together. But maybe my memory is screwed and that was actually him w/ Velvet covering an STP song. Though I suppose that doesn't rule out  Velvet continuing as a side-project or vice-versa.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

It's hard to find a strait answer on them, it depends who you ask.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Having the tunnel vision I know I have, I consider Gov't Mule to be one of the best touring bands during 2000 to 2011.  Sadly, I'm pretty sure they are calling it quits.  They never were the same after Woody died.

Pretty old, but I think the Allmans are still putting on some of the best shows out there.

I know, I know, they are not the originals.  But as far as I'm concerned, they currently have one of the best two guitar line-ups of all time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My Morning Jacket/Jim James/Monsters Of Folk - these guys have been making great, really interesting music for quite some time and very high on my list of best of the past decade.  They just never stop exploring and bending the curve, and that's exciting from a listener's point-of-view, much less a fan's.

Guster - some of the best unabashed pop music of the last 15 years.

Gomez - never cease to amaze me with their instrumental skills, and again, they love to experiment.

King of Leon - their newest stuff sounds a little too much like U2 for my tastes, but they are pretty consistent going back over their last 4 albums (and I'm glad they told glee to go pound sand).

Foo Fighters - rockers of high regard and again, very consistent from disc to disc, even if they chase radio hits too often.  I think Dave Grohl will be remembered as one of the most accomplished rock frontmen of the past 20 years.

Jack White/White Stripes - a given...already legendary in his/their own time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i never really bought into the white stripes, other than elephant i think it was?

it seemed to me like he just brought on more of a musical revival than anything else...he was very limited with meg, given his talents i was usually disappointed. they came out with a raw energy, but so many of their songs are the same, or so very similar that it just turns me off. i'd much rather listen to the raconteurs anyday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]i never really bought into the white stripes, other than elephant i think it was? it seemed to me like he just brought on more of a musical revival than anything else...he was very limited with meg, given his talents i was usually disappointed. they came out with a raw energy, but so many of their songs are the same, or so very similar that it just turns me off. i'd much rather listen to the raconteurs anyday.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

To each his own, but there's a real musical progression in their albums starting with De Stijl.  Given the limitation of a guitar/drums duo (see: Black Keys - another best of the 00s pick), they got a lot of mileage out of a lo-fi aesthetic.  But it's true they did for garage rock what Pavement did for indie rock a decade prior.  Also, given their origins and that of the MC5 and The Stooges, I think they carried on a great tradition of "raw energy".  "Seven Nation Army" alone is a modern classic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2000-2011: Who Are The Best National Bands? : To each his own, but there's a real musical progression in their albums starting with De Stijl.  Given the limitation of a guitar/drums duo (see: Black Keys - another best of the 00s pick), they got a lot of mileage out of a lo-fi aesthetic.  But it's true they did for garage rock what Pavement did for indie rock a decade prior.  Also, given their origins and that of the MC5 and The Stooges, I think they carried on a great tradition of "raw energy".  "Seven Nation Army" alone is a modern classic.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

yes, but i've always been a little peeved that they just didn't add a bassist instead of just layering it under in their recordings with oftentimes multiple guitars...they make up for it in their live show with "raw energy" like you said, but i think a band that progresses to a certain point should reflect that, such as the aforementioned black keys and how they play with a backing band now.