2011 concerts-your schedule and your reviews

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

2011 concerts-your schedule and your reviews

This thread is all about 2011 concerts-ones you're planning to go to, and reviews of the ones you've seen.

I haven't seen anything yet this year but I've just bought tickets to a couple and I'm pretty happy with what I've got lined up.

Sept. 6 Steve Earle and the Dukes with Allison Moorer-Moncton.  He's also playing here in Halifax but I snoozed on the tickets.  The Moncton venue is about a 2.5 hour drive but I think the show is going to be worth it.

Sept. 13 Bachman & Turner/Blue Oyster Cult-Halifax.  The re-formed Bachman Turner Overdrive is hitting the road!  Having my old pals BOC on the undercard sealed the deal on this one for me.  This will be an evening of serious guitar licks by 60-something axemen.  Yeah baby.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: 2011 concerts-your schedule and your reviews

I am too old to attend concerts.

I may be calling Tom Kruse soon to reserve my scooter-chair thing.Laughing

Seriously ( well , I'll try to be serious anyway) , I haven't attended a live show in many years. I am more or less of a homebody, I work with the public and, quite frankly, look forward to being away from crowds of people when I have the chance.

I have never been officially diagnosed, but I believe I have enchlophobia (fear of crowds) or anthropophobia ( fear of people or society)...it is likely the former, as I am alright dealing with people in small groups.

It's either that or I am smart enough to realize that I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood and I have a really large music collection, and events like these usually require that I travel to a big city and sit among loud,obnoxious people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 concerts-your schedule and your reviews:
    [QUOTE]I have a really large music collection, and events like these usually require that I travel to a big city and sit among loud,obnoxious people.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I understand that sentiment completely.  I also generally detest crowds and I'm very picky about which shows I attend.  With the two I have planned, I think I'm going to be pretty comfortable because I'll be 'among my kind'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I attended a concert years ago at what used to be called the Providence Civic Center , and some kid fell out of the upper deck onto the people below. It was kind of close to where I was and I figure it could easily break someone's neck if they fell on you the wrong way.

I was once at a small cub in Providence about 18-19 years ago, my  friend  and I nearly got decapitated by a kid who was lifted above the crowd and the others were spinning him around....no lie, his foot missed my head by inches!!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Looks like I will be seeing Allison Krauss in Boston in July.  :D

Over the past few months, the concerts I attended were all classical, either at Symphony Hall or the NE Conservatory (a venue I really love).   All were very good, but the best one was the concert at Symphony Hall with Beethoven's Fifth as the featured piece, believe it or not.  I was very skeptical about it, thinking it would be a bore, but the interpretation, the direction, and artistry all conspired to create a mesmerizing and atmospheric masterpiece before our very ears, and I would have been shocked to have felt so awe-inspired had it not been for the thunderous applause and standing ovations with people screaming at the end, I kid you not.  It was joyous.  (Handel and Haydn Society, BTW, not the BSO)

Other than that, I've seen some bar/house bands, and been to a couple of piano bars, which I've enjoyed.  Please don't make me kick myself again for getting the date wrong for Adele's appearance at the HOB.  I am still smarting over that one. 

Am keeping the "Life is Good" festival in mind, TBD.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the only larger venue shows i have seen in the past few years have been a couple radiohead and muse shows.

since getting a song in twilight, muse shows have been at larger places and filled with teenagers. went from seeing them in a half filled PC gymnasium to the back section at TD garden over 4 shows in about 6-7 years. while impressive for them, i must say is not the same. 

radiohead i will go to no matter what it takes every time.  for a true fan, their setlists are a dream.  they mix up their setlist every show, and there are always some rarities and fan favorites.  thom has been increasingly more personable at his shows as well, even though no one really can tell what the heck he's saying.

i have been favoring the smaller, more intimate shows.  Lupos is always an option, but some really talented acts have been coming to the Met right outside providence. really great shows for cheap at an old school venue. i really suggest people check it out. it's less than a mile from me, and i am there all the time.

http://www.themetri.com/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

My one word review of the 6/7 Phish show at Great Woods:  Sick!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

(This year is a little crazy...)

So Far (since May 1):

Guster at HoB - Simply Awesome...i'm totally in-the-tank for guster.
    Fleet Foxes at Orpheum - Transcendant experience.  Like no show I've seen.
    Mountain Jam [MMJ, Govt Mule, Grace Potter, Avett Bros., etc.] - An Elfin' Adventure and a Half...long story short, I'm going again next year if it kills me.
    Phish at Mansfield - Great show.  Mediocre crowd.

On Tap:

July - Gomez  :)), Gathering Of The Vibes (4 days), Newport Folk Festival (2 days)

August - J. Geils Band, Guster (again), My Morning Jacket (again), DMB Caravan in NYC (2 days)

September - Life Is Good Festival (2 days), Ben Harper

[Yes, I need professional help.]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm almost in for the newport folk festival

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It should be a great weekend...however, that's the weekend after the Vibes, and there are some repeats with the Caravan, so I may just go for Saturday...

...but M. Ward, The Head & The Heart, Middle Brother and David Wax Museum...??  ...all might just be too good to pass up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We've got a Geezerpalooza coming to my part of the world this summer.  Must be the aging population here or something.  Just found out today that the Moody Blues are coming in September and Jeff Beck in October.  No way can I pass on Jeff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michelle2561. Show Michelle2561's posts

weezer @ bank boston pavilion great show. Please come back!

few weeks later Go Gos and B 52s good time Fun wit front row seats

next shows will be beach boys the goo goo dolls we are all over the

board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Forgot to add:

Mike Doughty on the waterfront in lovely Newburyport (along with Marc Broussard and Scars on 45) in July.

Best of all: it's a FREE SHOW!!!

@Hfx - saw Jeff open(!) for Santana a few years back...positively volcanic....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpdevin. Show jpdevin's posts

Re: 2011 Concerts

Went to Bamboozle at Meadowlands with the teen kids. Alot of pleasant enough but forgettable Indy rock. Bruno Mars was the highlight.
    J ackie Greene at a small venue in Ct. Fairfield Theater Company. Very good acoustic, I see why he's well regarded.
     Peter Wolf at Ridgefield Playhouse, excellent as always.
    J.Geils August 13, going to be awesome..... baybee.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Slim, I think you read too much into my comment.  I didn't think I said anything inflammatory, and I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.  My reputation for being respectful precedes me, and I thought you knew me better than that by now.  Since you seemed offended by my comment, I deleted it, as that certainly was not my intent.  Thanks. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The only concert on my agenda this year is Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (for free in Golden Gate Park), and all of y'all should really come out to San Francisco for the occasion. Lunch is on me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will be there Carnie and lunch better be good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 concerts-your schedule and your reviews:
    [QUOTE]I will be there Carnie and lunch better be good.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]We have some pretty good Italian joints in North Beach. You still have my email right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Best show I have seen to date was Interpol at Lupos in Providence. Band was incredibly tight and sprinkled in some obscure stuff.. Also loved the Feelies at Middle East.. 3 hours of pure goodness

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Still a little [Gathering Of The] Vibes-weary from this weekend...where it was not only the hottest weekend of the year, but single-day temp records were smashed all over the place. Now that I'm fully re-hydrated and (somewhat) lucid, I can say the music was bloody amazing.  A quick recap of the lineup...and not a slouch among them:

Furthur
    Elvis Costello
    Jane's Addiction
    moe
    John Butler Trio
    Rhythm Devils (w/Keller Williams)
    Dr. John
    Dark Star Orchestra (w/Donna Jean)
    Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Taj Mahal
    Toots & The Maytals
    Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk

Plus some very worthy supporting acts:
    Max Creek
    Ryan Montbleau Band
    Assembly Of Dust
    Perpetual Groove
    Deep Banana Blackout
    The New Mastersounds
    Big Gigantic
    Rubblebucket
    Roots Of Creation
    Tea Leaf Green
    Big Sam's Funky Nation
    McLovins

All in all, about 40 bands in 4 days - mission accomplished with a minimum of permanent scars....  :))

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

matty, a few of my friends were there and came back with some wonderful supplies, as well as reviews of the music...one band that stuck out to them as an awesome surprise was the new mastersounds.  i have been checking them out as of late, great blend of styles coming over from across the atlantic.  did you catch their set in full?

some girls were spinning fire-wicks on chains and glowing balls on chains in my backyard the night before, for entertainment for those of us who didn't get to go to the vibes but had quite the...experience (cough) the night before. whoooooo doggy, they were amazing regardless of mindframe.

glad you had fun!

camp creek is coming up, get ready! my friend's band (sauce) is playing

Sections
Shortcuts