2011 Music (so far...)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

2011 Music (so far...)

Mid-year has passed, so what of the year in music, so far...?  What have you purchased or heard in new or old music or shows you've seen, etc...?

These are my personal highlights thus far:

The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
    Adele - 21
    Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
    Bright Eyes - The People's Key
    Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
    The Strokes - Angles
    TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
    Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
    Flogging Molly - Speed Of Darkness
    Ben Harper - "Rock And Roll Is Free"
    Death Cab For Cutie - Codes And Keys
    My Morning Jacket - Circuital
    Gomez - Whatever's On Your Mind
    Warren Haynes - "Man In Motion"

- Decemberists @ House Of Blues
    - Gomez (members of,) @ Blue Ocean Music Hall
    - Guster @ House Of Blues
    - Fleet Foxes @ The Orpheum
    - Phish @ Mansfield
    - Mountain Jam (MMJ, Warren Haynes/Govt Mule, Avett Bros., Grace Potter, et al.)

- MMJ @ Louisville Palace (livestream)
    - DCFC, MMJ on Storytellers
    - Grace Potter, Squeeze on Live At Artist's Den
    - Spoon, Monsters Of Folk, Sonic Youth/Black Keys on Austin City Limits

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: 2011 Music (so far...)

Unfortunately I recognize very little of it, Matty...all I know is the stuff I've heard on the radio.  I will say one thing, I absolutely love the Black Keys' 'Tighten Up'...that song really takes me back to some good stuff.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

great list, i have most but a few i would still like to get my hands on.  still have to check out gomez, and i will.

i would suggest the new bon iver album if you haven't heard it yet.  great stuff.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Music (so far...):
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately I recognize very little of it, Matty...all I know is the stuff I've heard on the radio.  I will say one thing, I absolutely love the Black Keys' 'Tighten Up'...that song really takes me back to some good stuff.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

The whole "Brothers" disc is totally worth it...by far one of my fave (if not tops) albums from last year.

Right now, The Black Keys can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned.... 

@ ph: thanks for the tip...I've only heard a little from Bon Iver's latest, but what I've heard is pretty damm good...def. in my wheelhouse of styles....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not sure if I've mentioned any of these albums in other threads, but some of my new purchases (note: blends both new industry output and older albums that are new for me):

Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
    The National - High Violet
    The National - Boxer
    Mirrorball - Sarah M.  (some of her best in one album)
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon (had "Five Leaves Left" and only singles off of PM, so finally got the album)
    Adele - 21
    Ben Folds Presents University A Cappella
    Music of Stephin Merritt via The 6ths and The Magnetic Fields  - Pieces of April

On tap / new for me (many, thanks to the forum):
    Muse (not new at all, but have become more of a fan)
    The Nuggets  (must have, must get, must get ...)  :D 
    Sigur Ros
    Massive Attack
    Band of Horses
    Tom Tom Club
    Maroon 5 (this could be a phase due to Adam Levine's presence on The Voice)
    Alicia Keys
    Gnarls Barkley

A song style I am drawn to, in these two examples, is rap with vocals, as in "Empire State of Mind"  (Jay-Z and Alicia Keys) and "Coming Home" (Diddy and Skylar Grey).  I also get immersed in more hip hop / r&b / rap by listening to WBRU's show, "360" on Sundays when it's within listenable bandwidth.   Getting immersed in it has surprised me, I don't like all of it by any means, but when it's played back to back, you get a cross-section of the genre; the exposure is amazing.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]glowing reviews, of the latest Paul Simon album. I suspect I'll be picking up that one soon.  And maybe something from My Morning Jacket that Matty mentioned.  I keep bumping into that name.  Yim Yames played with John Prine, one of my idols,  and he seems to be all over the map musically. I do love new discoveries.  My most recent, courtesy of this forum, was Dave Grohl. 
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]
    Slim, a bookmark you might want to create is one I got from jkj on AOL:
    You have the ability to listen to the new albums for a week; they update every Tuesday.  For example, when Paul Simon's new album came out, it was there.   It's a nice way to actually hear a whole new album, if you're interested.  I check it every week.  Again, thanks to jkj.  

Another one you might like is to check the new music on WUMB:

You might like some of the music there, lots of great roots and folk.   

Bon Iver is there right now, BTW.  :) 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"A song style I am drawn to, in these two examples, is rap with a vocals"

Hey Yoga, check out this video by Neneh Cherry. It might be right up your alley. This is from her 1989 album Raw Like Sushi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWsRz3TJDEY

I also highly recommend Rhino's The Sugar Hill Records Story box set. A lot of old school Hip-Hop in this collection. See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G6J2VE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009YA4EO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J10AJC292EFW1E26VZ0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i have nothing but love for the 360 degree black experience in sound on sundays :)

those shoutouts can get lengthy at times, though

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm running out of room for CD's and I have so little time to listen to music anyway.

I recently purchased some newer releases ( 2005-2010) that I hadn't got around to getting.

The newest CD I believe I have bought was the newest Alice in Chains, with the new singer. But, honestly , I do not know if it was released in 2011 or 2010.....ditto the newest Tom Petty,Iron Maiden and Neil Young releases.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@ yoga, thanks for the bon iver/aol tip...i'm so there...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from A&Wrootbeer. Show A&Wrootbeer's posts

I’m a long time lurker of the music forum and a first time poster.  Matty, it appears we have the same taste in newer music.PurchasedThe Decemberists - The King Is Dead
    Bright Eyes - The People's Key
    Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
    Mumford & Sons- Sigh No More
    Morning Teleportation- Expanding Anyway (this is a band from Portland, OR that has been touring lately with Modest Mouse and Cage the Elephant as well as other bands.  They were recently on David Letterman, I highly recommend checking them out)
    Cold War Kids- Mine is Yours
    Dr. Dog- Shame, Shame and Fate (These are older but I have recently discovered them and can’t get enough)

ShowsSpiritual Rez @ House of Blues
    Dr. Dog w/ Head and the Heart @ Paradise
    Sasquatch Music Festival- Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse (probably my favorite), Wilco, The Flaming Lips, The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Iron & Wine, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Bassnectar, Flogging Molly, Cold War Kids, Wolf Parade, Chromeo, Beach House, Local Natives, Matt & Kim, Jenny & JohnnyUpcoming shows
    Flaming Lips @ Bank of America
    MMJ@ Bank of AmericaViewingsMMJ and Mumford & Sons on Sotrytellers
    MMJ on Austin City Limits

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I’m a long time lurker of the music forum and a first time poster.   Matty, it appears we have the same taste in newer music. Purchased The Decemberists - The King Is Dead Bright Eyes - The People's Key Radiohead - The King Of Limbs Mumford & Sons- Sigh No More Morning Teleportation- Expanding Anyway (this is a band from Portland, OR that has been touring lately with Modest Mouse and Cage the Elephant as well as other bands.   They were recently on David Letterman, I highly recommend checking them out) Cold War Kids- Mine is Yours Dr. Dog- Shame, Shame and Fate (These are older but I have recently discovered them and can’t get enough) Shows Spiritual Rez @ House of Blues Dr. Dog w/ Head and the Heart @ Paradise Sasquatch Music Festival- Foo Fighters, Modest Mouse (probably my favorite), Wilco, The Flaming Lips, The Decemberists, Bright Eyes, Iron & Wine, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Bassnectar, Flogging Molly, Cold War Kids, Wolf Parade, Chromeo, Beach House, Local Natives, Matt & Kim, Jenny & Johnny Upcoming shows Flaming Lips @ Bank of America MMJ@ Bank of America Viewings MMJ and Mumford & Sons on Sotrytellers MMJ on Austin City Limits
    Posted by A&Wrootbeer[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard...!!  Great group here, and we could always use another music junkie/enabler...

Good tip on the latest Cold War Kids...'robbers & cowards' was one of the more overlooked and original releases of the past decade, IMO...decent live band, too...shades of another fave: Spoon.

Killer lineup for sasquatch...really digging Jenny & Johnny (one of my '10 picks); and Wolf Parade has been on my radar since i heard 'shine a light' on rescue me way back when.

Last, more kudos for The Head & The Heart...!!  I can't get enough and unfortunately missed them earlier this year.  My wife discovered them and had the disc the very day it was released.  Luckily, we have tix for newport and the caravan in nyc.  :))

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]"A song style I am drawn to, in these two examples, is rap with a vocals" Hey Yoga, check out this video by Neneh Cherry. It might be right up your alley. This is from her 1989 album Raw Like Sushi . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWsRz3TJDEY I also highly recommend Rhino's The Sugar Hill Records Story  box set. A lot of old school Hip-Hop in this collection. See link below: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G6J2VE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009YA4EO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1J10AJC292EFW1E26VZ0
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    Hey, DD, thanks re: Neheh Cherry.  I've heard her in the past, and you're right, she's fun and and has something to offer.  She sang with Massive Attack, a group I really like, and I wasn't aware of that until now.  I love those connections, you never know when they'll pop up.  

The old school hip hop also looks entertaining.   Love it.  But The Nuggets are my top priority, as you know.   After that baby is in my collection, I'll take a more serious look.  I do keep track of the many recommendations offered around here.   :D   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from A&Wrootbeer. Show A&Wrootbeer's posts

@ Matty, This was the first time I heard Jenny & Johnny although I’ve liked Jenny on previous Bright Eyes and Cursive songs.  I accidently stumbled across The Head & The Heart at the Dr. Dog concert.  I was so pleasantly surprised by them, I’d love to see them again.   @ Yoga, thanks for the websites, I’m definitely going to check them out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

A pretty interesting site which is streaming (and some downloads) is a concert which took place over Memorial Day Weekend in Washington State (The Sasquatch Fest).  They contain a boat load of concerts from many of the newer bands (which I like anyway).  I have a special place in my heart for live music and this show sounds like it did not disappoint.

http://www.npr.org/series/136238533/live-from-sasquatch-music-festival

Check it out and let me know what you think       ....it does'nt cost any thing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from A&Wrootbeer. Show A&Wrootbeer's posts

@jk, that is the festival I went to.  I've gone the past 2 years and it's an amazing experience.  I've also found so many great bands going to this concert.  This is where I found my love for Dr. Dog, Edward Sharpe, BeachHouse and many more.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Very cool that you were there.  I just checked in on the NPR concerts and found that show (they covered it extensively) from the bands which I have been able to listen to so far, it sound like it was a concert for the ages.

Yah and so far I would say that Modest Mouse stole the show.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]@ Matty, This was the first time I heard Jenny & Johnny although I’ve liked Jenny on previous Bright Eyes and Cursive songs.   I accidently stumbled across The Head & The Heart at the Dr. Dog concert.   I was so pleasantly surprised by them, I’d love to see them again.     @ Yoga, thanks for the websites, I’m definitely going to check them out.
    Posted by A&Wrootbeer[/QUOTE] Hey, no problem AWR.  Hope you join the discussions.  The AOL site puts up albums that are about to be released, so the sampling could not be more current.   If you like live streaming, WUMB is like the gold standard for roots, blues, folk, and they've expanded what they play far into other genres as well.  
    ACL is amazing, glad others mentioned it.  I've also been watching and saw Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and they were great.  Many of the concerts seem to be archived back a ways on the PBS website, too, and I just saw a few that I'm going to catch up on and watch.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from A&Wrootbeer. Show A&Wrootbeer's posts

I also highly recommend watching Wilco's set of Sasquatch. 

www.npr.org/2011/06/02/136580866/sasquatch-2011-wilco-live-in-concert" target="_blank">http://www.npr.org/2011/06/02/136580866/sasquatch-2011-wilco-live-in-concert

There is an amazing drum break during the song Via Chicago.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Thanks for the links.

Got some seriously happy downloadin' to do when I get home tonight...!!

:))

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A site to behold:

Vintage?  It's there.  Current?  Also there.  Concerts from as little as a month ago.  Also there.   Almost too good to be true.  Enjoy (and for those of you who've been on Wolfgang's Vault before, you know how great it is).   

Am listening to a concert right now.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Music (so far...) : Slim, a bookmark you might want to create is one I got from jkj on AOL: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1 You have the ability to listen to the new albums for a week; they update every Tuesday.  For example, when Paul Simon's new album came out, it was there.   It's a nice way to actually hear a whole new album, if you're interested. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, yoga and jake.  I keep going back and forth between downloading single songs vs. entire albums.  There are some artists whose albums I often don't like on first second and third listening, and then they grow on me and become favorites -- Mark Knopfler's albums, for example, usually take me a few listenings, even though I LURVE MK veddy veddy much.

I had downloaded some singles where I later wished I'd sprung for the whole album (Mocean Worker and Finley Quaye).  So, after that I purchased the full albums for some other groups (Fitz and the Tantrums is the one coming to mind) and regretted it (since Moneygrabber really is the best of the songs by far).  It is so hard to judge even with extended samples on itunes.

I just (like 10 minutes ago) downloaded Amos Lee's Mission Bell album and also deSol (deSol isn't new, though) -- fingers crossed!  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Funny you should say that, I find as a general rule LPs that sound like the best thing since sliced bread on the first listen, don't have much staying power.  and the ones that take a few listens before I get in to, turn out to be long time favorites.