2013 - albums of the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

2013 - albums of the year

What are you best albums of the year so far?

My list

1. Modern Vampires of the City - Vampire Weekend

2. I See Seaweed - The Drones

3. Yeezus - Kanye West

4. Virgins - Tim Hecker

5. Tomorrow's Harvest - Boards of Canada

6. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels

7. Sunbather - Deafheaven

8. Beautiful Raw - Qwel & Maker

9.  Floating Coffin - Thee Oh Sees

10. Government Plates - Death Grips

11. No Poison No Paradise - Black Milk

12. The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake

13. Kveikur - Sigur Ros

14. Old - Danny Brown

15. Wakin on a Pretty Daze - Kurt Vile

16. Twelve Reasons to Die - Ghostface Killah & Adiran Younge

17. Dream River - Bill Callahan

18. Matangi - M.I.A.

19. Flowers for My Father - Sadistik

20. The Bones of What You Believe - Chvrches

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: 2013 - albums of the year

My favourite of the year is definitely Barrence Whitfield and the Savages "Dig Thy Savage Soul".  Their best yet.

I won't list any others as most won't have heard of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

My favourite of the year is definitely Barrence Whitfield and the Savages "Dig Thy Savage Soul".  Their best yet.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the rec. I liked it. Loved the opening track, The Corner Man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rich, I'm really pleased you dig it.  I love "The Corner Man" as it's a simple Garage-y riff and I'm a sucker for an allegory.  "Hangman's Token" also kills me.

They're a long-time Boston band, of course, but as Peter Greenberg (also Customs, DMZ and Lyres) lives in Texas they don't play in Boston much.  If/when they do......go go go go...IMO, one of the best Blues bands, and r&b bands and Garage bands around.

It's a disgrace that they aren't better known....and I put myself first in line for a whipping. Could've/should've seen them 50-100 times in the 80s, but chose to avoid them because i was an idiot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'll have to get back to this thread.   I got a bunch of albums in 2013, but by no means were they all 2013 releases.   I still have one pending purchase, actually.   

Like most of the people on this forum, I don't necessarily chase after new releases.  I discover music for myself, even if it's from 30 years ago. 

The newer releases I got did not necessarily result in the "best" albums for me, either.  No offense, but  20 "best" albums in a year would never happen for me, unless I felt every single album I purchased appealed to me that highly, which is definitely not the case.

"I'll be back."   Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rich, I'm really pleased you dig it.  I love "The Corner Man" as it's a simple Garage-y riff and I'm a sucker for an allegory.  "Hangman's Token" also kills me.

They're a long-time Boston band, of course, but as Peter Greenberg (also Customs, DMZ and Lyres) lives in Texas they don't play in Boston much.  If/when they do......go go go go...IMO, one of the best Blues bands, and r&b bands and Garage bands around.

It's a disgrace that they aren't better known....and I put myself first in line for a whipping. Could've/should've seen them 50-100 times in the 80s, but chose to avoid them because i was an idiot.

[/QUOTE]

You might like I See Seaweed by The Drones. It has a Punk Blues/Garage Rock sound.

I started the thread to get recommendations for things I may have missed. Lately I've been listening to some punk (The Saints, Radio Birdman) some electronic (Burial, Boards of Canada) and New Jack Swing (New Edition, Guy). I've always listening to something, new or not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'll have to come back to this one...tempered somewhat by releases I'm waiting on (Broken Bells) and that I didn't release a 'so far' list at mid-year as normal.

Lots of good music this year from some sources I wouldn't have guessed just last year.  As usual, my acquisitions through the year averaged roughly half new / half old.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

My favourite by far was "Trouble Will find Me" by The National

Also enjoyed "Clash The Truth" By Beach Fossils and "Afraid of Heights" by Wavves

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Here are my top 20 albums of 2013 so far, INPO:

Dr. Dog - B-Room

Jim James - Regions of Light & Sound of God

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Made Up Mind

Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium

Flaming Lips - The Terror

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Deer Tick - Negativity

Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law

Elvis Costello & The Roots - Wise Up Ghost

Iron & Wine - Ghost On Ghost

Charles Bradley - Victim Of Love

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious

Johnny Marr - The Messenger

Queens Of The Stone Age - Like Clockwork...

Deerhunter - Monomania

Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...

My Bloody Valentine - MBV

Kings Of Leon - Mechanical Bull

City & Colour - The Hurry & The Harm

The Head And The Heart - Let's Be Still

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

How is the Tedeschi Trucks album? Like her singing and style, but I have to be honest:  She and Trucks aren't the best songwriters around.

I also do not get the Trucks infatuation some people have. Boring and statuesque. Love his tone, but damn can you not use the slide on one song? Please? lol

I think it's excellent...probably in my top 10 of the year.  Fully formed, good jams, and the band is tight.  For me, it still doesn't beat their live stuff, which is where they really shine, IMO, but as studio albums of this kind go, it's pretty good.

Seeing them live twice this summer in a short span left me with the impression that Susan is really the bandleader, and Derek is the trusty sideman.  That may be oversimplifying a bit, but it fits.  They really are a solid band across the board.

I also think Trucks' forte always has been with the slide, so maybe he prefers to stick with his strengths and not play flashy (more steak than sizzle?).  It also serves to anchor their sound...that and Susan's voice, which is as strong and poignant as ever.  

All in all, I'd recommend it to any fan of latter-day blues/soul.  Trucks does indeed mix it up throughout the disc, so I think you'll like it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How is the Tedeschi Trucks album? Like her singing and style, but I have to be honest:  She and Trucks aren't the best songwriters around.

I also do not get the Trucks infatuation some people have. Boring and statuesque. Love his tone, but damn can you not use the slide on one song? Please? lol

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the infatuation either, but attribute that a byproduct of my taste, moreso than a criticism of what they have to offer.    Saw them live once, and they put on a fun, solid bluesy / rock show.    However, they played lots of covers, as I recall.   They seem to play plenty of festivals in the summer months as well.   

She's a local, from metro-Boston, so it's nice to see the growth of her career.    A single now and again is okay, but an album would not be on my radar.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sorry to say that of all the albums I purchased, very few fresh 2013 albums were among, or necessarily the best.   This is a small snapshot, only based on what I purchased, not a wide scale criticism of the year.   I made the choices; the albums did not deliver.   I would be hard pressed to recommend many; therefore, I will not mention the albums that were disappointments, whether they are from 2013 or not.  No point.  (I bought some pretty good pre-owned, older / or compilation CDs, too, but I'm not including them in the list).    Sparse list.  

INPO (only 2013 albums are noted; others are earlier releases):

Muchacho - Phosphorescent  (2013)

Wounded Rhymes - Lykke Li

Bloom  - Beach House

Electric -  Pet Shop Boys  (2013)

Infinite Arms - Band of Horses

The Blessed Unrest - Sara Bareilles (honorable mention)  (2013)
    It Happens All the Time - Megan Hilty (honorable mention) (2013)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might like I See Seaweed by The Drones. It has a Punk Blues/Garage Rock sound.

I started the thread to get recommendations for things I may have missed. Lately I've been listening to some punk (The Saints, Radio Birdman) some electronic (Burial, Boards of Canada) and New Jack Swing (New Edition, Guy). I've always listening to something, new or not.

[/QUOTE]

Listening to Drones now, will feedback, thanks.

"Missed" & "New" & "Old" ad nauseum are a huge issue to me (agreeing with you, btw!).

• "Missed"?  So what?  I never heard of Radio Birdman until about 8 years ago....they immediately became a top 25 band ever for me.
    • "New"?  I admit a bias toward trying all new things....but trying <> buying.  I feel sorry for contemporary music refusniks.
    • "Old"?  As bad if not worse....nope, worse, IMO....than contemporary refusniks.  I know for a fact that some teens/pre-teens loved the 60s/70s Detroit proto-punk scene i.e. MC5, Stooges, Death...  As did kids in the 70s, 80s, 90s...and today.  As will a certain type of kid in 1,000 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Missed" & "New" & "Old" ad nauseum are a huge issue to me (agreeing with you, btw!).

• "Missed"?  So what?  I never heard of Radio Birdman until about 8 years ago....they immediately became a top 25 band ever for me.
    • "New"?  I admit a bias toward trying all new things....but trying <> buying.  I feel sorry for contemporary music refusniks.
    • "Old"?  As bad if not worse....nope, worse, IMO....than contemporary refusniks.  I know for a fact that some teens/pre-teens loved the 60s/70s Detroit proto-punk scene i.e. MC5, Stooges, Death...  As did kids in the 70s, 80s, 90s...and today.  As will a certain type of kid in 1,000 years. 

My experience is that there is more of a resurgence than ever in going back in time to find some of the best music, and that absolutely includes teenagers.    Now a bit older (early twenties) I have a few young guy friends, who when they were around 19, told me their favorite artists were Joy Division, Bob Dylan, the Smiths, and others.    They weren't interested in much past the 1980's era.   Of course, they know many of the commonly known newer bands, too, but newer music is not their focus to this day.  

Lots of younger listeners feel very ripped off that they weren't born earlier, so they could have been part of the Seventies generation -- they hate the banal, synthie, edm, DJ driven crap of their own generation.  (they also like the clothes and hair that they missed out on) hahaha.   

I'm very confident that the rock music of the 20th century will be played in 1,000 years, too (as long as the earth is still spinning on its axis).    =)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add:

Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite - Get Up!

Gov't Mule - Shout!

Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Lickety Split

Trombone Shorty - Say That To Say This

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I'd also add

Excavation - The Haxan Cloak

R Plus Seven - Oneohtrix Point Never

Glaciers - Blue Sky Black Death

Shaking the Habitual - The Knife

They would all be in my top 20 now. I've been listening to a lot of electronic music lately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

bump

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

My favorite release of 2013 is the EP "Rival Dealer" by Burial.

Just amazing music.

Burial: Come Down To Us (Hyperdub 2013): http://youtu.be/M1bb2JakOmo via @youtube

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Not a good year for music.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just amazing music.

Burial: Come Down To Us (Hyperdub 2013): http://youtu.be/M1bb2JakOmo via @youtube

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Loved that. A notch below Kindred EP. I've heard six different releases from Burial, 4 EPs and 2 albums and they're all good.

Dreamstone by Sorrow is also a 2013 release and it's also Future Garage like Burial.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just amazing music.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Loved that. A notch below Kindred EP. I've heard six different releases from Burial, 4 EPs and 2 albums and they're all good.

Dreamstone by Sorrow is also a 2013 release and it's also Future Garage like Burial.

[/QUOTE]

What is future garage?  You seem to use many of the labels that Wikipedia uses, some more recent than others, but either way, do they really mean anything?   When there are fewer than a dozen artists that fit a (newly created) sub-genre, what differentiates it?   It's all DJ/house music, isn't it?  Experimental.  All computerized. 

Also, you'd get more feedback if you provided links once in a while; it's much easier to check out a track when a link is provided, esp. since you seem to mention quite a bit music that falls into a similar category.   Otherwise, I'll just stick with Massive Attack.   :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just amazing music.

[/QUOTE]

What is future garage?  You seem to use many of the labels that Wikipedia uses, some more recent than others, but either way, do they really mean anything?   When there are fewer than a dozen artists that fit a (newly created) sub-genre, what differentiates it?   It's all DJ/house music, isn't it?  Experimental.  All computerized. 

Also, you'd get more feedback if you provided links once in a while; it's much easier to check out a track when a link is provided, esp. since you seem to mention quite a bit music that falls into a similar category.   Otherwise, I'll just stick with Massive Attack.   :)

[/QUOTE]

I'm not good at explaining it, so I copy/pasted this from the music site I frequent

Also known as:   Nu-Garage, Post-Garage, Space Garage, Minimal Garage, Atmospheric Garage

Future Garage is a newer style of UK Garage which originally developed as a result of some Dubstep producers reacting against the prevalent trends in that genre. These producers made music which was far closer to the 2-Step and UK Garage of the late 90s and early 00s than that of their contemporaries, deliberately eschewing the heavy wobble bass commonplace in dubstep. The other distinguishing feature of Future Garage is that it is much more accessible for "home listening" than UK Garage was - IDM is often a clear influence. The resulting sound is often quite minimalistic, with skittery, broken rhythms and bright, clean melodies.

Of the dubstep producers who pioneered this strand of UK garage, the best known is Burial, along with many others on Hyperdub. Futher back in time, there are also clear similarities with the music of MJ Cole and the Broken Beat movement of the early 00s. The term Future Garage was originally coined by Sub.fm's Whistla, who also set up L2S Recordings, the genre's first dedicated label. Other notable artists include FaltyDL, Brackles, Shortstuff, and Joy Orbison.  

Burial has two full length albums, of those Untrue is the best. I think his most acclaimed release is Kindred EP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mes3lJEryYI

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Heh. I just listened to Kindred in the car this morning. It's also a wonderful piece of music although my preference right now is Rival Dealer. Really, you can't go wrong with anything that Mr. Bevan does no matter what it's called.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires

Primal Scream - More Light

Daft Punk - RAM

Tame Impala - Lonerism

There are more I like but those are the best. It was a pretty bad year in music to be honest.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts