2013 "Class" will be inducted in LA (yes, I already know you don't care ...)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

2013 "Class" will be inducted in LA (yes, I already know you don't care ...)

For the record, just wanted to let you know (for comic relief, maybe) that the RnR Hall's 28th annual induction ceremony will be held at the Nokia Theatre in LA this year.   This is the first time the induction ceremonyy will be held outside of Cleveland in 20 years.  

Christina Aguilera and Jennifer Hudson will perform in honor of the late disco queen, Donna Summer.  (not bad)

Summer is among this year's eight inductees, which also include rockers Heart and Rush, singer-songwriter Randy Newman, rap group Public Enemy and bluesman Albert King, as well as Lou Adler and Quincy Jones, this year's Ahmet Ertegun lifetime achievement honorees.

Other artists scheduled to attend include the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins, who will present Rush; Jackson Browne and John Fogerty, who will perform with Randy Newman; Pearl Jam's Mike McCready and Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell, who will join Heart; Spike Lee and Harry Belafonte, who will present Public Enemy; and Don Henley, who will induct Newman.

Broadcast May 18th -- on HBO.  You won't be watching.  I get it.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: 2013

I don't care much about the inductions, but some of the HOF live performances have been very good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Heart deserves to be honored.

And I agree -- some of the HOF performances have been fantastic.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Greg - that is the RnR question of the last 30 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

so where the F is Deep Purple?

At least they got nominated this time.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I honestly do not understand how a person that loves rock'n'roll - founded as an outsider, rebellious music form cocking its snoot at conventional society - could feel anything but antipathy at awards and congratulations and ceremonies for artists that, in theory, were fighting against such conventional societal acceptance.

I'm a huge seller of votes and awards generally....who cares what many/most people think about anything?  If someone thinks "How Green Was My Valley" was a 'better' film than "Suspicion", "Citizen Kane" and "The Maltese Falcon"....fine, think what you want, I don't care.  And I imagine Hitchcock, Welles and Wallis didn't give a sh1t either.

But awards and honours for rock'n'roll?  I think it degrades the entire genre....but then again, that will fuel the next generation of angry kids kicking the living sh1te of the jewelry rattlers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I honestly do not understand how a person that loves rock'n'roll - founded as an outsider, rebellious music form cocking its snoot at conventional society - could feel anything but antipathy at awards and congratulations and ceremonies for artists that, in theory, were fighting against such conventional societal acceptance.

I'm a huge seller of votes and awards generally....who cares what many/most people think about anything?  If someone thinks "How Green Was My Valley" was a 'better' film than "Suspicion", "Citizen Kane" and "The Maltese Falcon"....fine, think what you want, I don't care.  And I imagine Hitchcock, Welles and Wallis didn't give a sh1t either.

But awards and honours for rock'n'roll?  I think it degrades the entire genre....but then again, that will fuel the next generation of angry kids kicking the living sh1te of the jewelry rattlers. 

No argument from me on your POV.   There was a time, however, when there wasn't an award presented once / week, and at that time, they meant more than they do today.  It's "award overload" -- totally meaningless and for marketing purposes only.   

The odd thing re: the RnR Hall is that the acts don't get nominated until / unless they reach a certain level / status / longevity in the music industry.   By then, if the entire, original band is still alive and together (rare?), they are no longer rebellious or against societal acceptance. They may have made the talk show circuit, been interviewed in mainstream web-zines, generic publications, and TV, and spoken out in public on political issues.   Their RnR persona isn't as hardcore.     Again, I don't disagree with your contention, but with the longevity of the bands who are inducted, they represent the past *and* the present, and some of the rough edges may have been smoothed out (on some, not all) for these bands.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I would feel differently if I thought that awards and honors could properly take the place of recognition via sales and/or door takes.

Sadly, that's not the case.

Some of my favorite bands haven't won sh*te nor even been nominated.