2120 South Michigan Avenue: Addressing musical nods

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

2120 South Michigan Avenue: Addressing musical nods

In an announcement for George Thorogood & the Destroyers' upcoming concert, there were some nifty nods and connections to addresses, record labels and song  / album titles that I noticed:

2120 South Michigan Avenue was the home of Chicago's Chess Records ("an incubator for blues and rock")  (Thanks, DD ...), and as the connections go:

"2120 South Michigan Avenue" is the name of an instrumental song by the Rolling Stones, written as an homage to the label; the song made it to a rare EP by the RS.  The Rolling Stones recorded at Chess and their subsidiary, Checker, back in 1964.   The LP, "12x5" features the track.   (not sure the EP was ever released ... or if it was, it's a rarity). 

"2120 South Michigan Avenue" is the name of George Thorogood's recent album that features covers of songs by blues legends all of which were recorded at Chess.   Buddy Guy and Charlie Musselwhite appear on the album, BTW.   

Well?   How about:

Songs or albums with real addresses in the title  -- may or may not have meaning to the band, but would have meaning to the song (as in the South Michigan Avenue example);  are there others that are this concise?

Songs, albums with addresses in title  -- fictitious is okay if you have a batch.  

Or anything related.   Anything goes.   Addresses are it.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 2120 South Michigan Avenue: Addressing musical nods

The only one I can think of now is "461 Ocean Boulevard" LP by Eric Clapton...the address of the house he lived in Florida while making the album.

Lots of fictitious references, though....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OMG an old one popped into my head right away.  '442 Glenwood Avenue', a 1964 song by a girl group called The Pixies Three.  The only thing I remembered was that it was 44-something Glenwood Avenue...Google did the rest.  Scary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This one isn't in the title but it's in the second line.  From my favorite Crowded House song, 'Weather With You':

Walkin' round the room singing Stormy Weather

At 57 Mount Pleasant Street

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Songs:

Central Park 'n West- Ian Hunter

8th Avenue Shuffle- Doobie Brothers

Dirty Boulevard - Lou Reed

Street Of Dreams- Rainbow

No Easy Street- Psychedlic Furs

And The Address- Deep Purple

...best I can do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's not easy (and there may not be many) to think of sings with street addresses.   As I said, fictitious is fine.   

Nice ones so far, though. 

Since I mentioned Gerry Rafferty recently:   Baker Street  (real street in London)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

It's not easy (and there may not be many) to think of sings with street addresses.   As I said, fictitious is fine.   

Nice ones so far, though. 

Since I mentioned Gerry Rafferty recently:   Baker Street  (real street in London)

If it's just the name of a street, and doesn't have to be a full address, that opens it up quite a bit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

59th Street Bridge song (Feeling Groovy) -Simon and Garfunkel

77 Sunset Strip - ????

Main Street - Bob Seger

Penny Lane - Beatles

Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant

Love Street - Doors

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The headline certainly got my attention. I love everything about Chess Records.

I submit Billy Joel's song and album both titled "52nd Street". This is the street that was a hotbed of jazz at one time and also served as the street on which Mr. Joel recorded his said named jazz-inflected album, as well as the location of the headquarters of his record company at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDzflqodMOE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I submit Billy Joel's song and album both titled "52nd Street". This is the street that was a hotbed of jazz at one time and also served as the street on which Mr. Joel recorded his said named jazz-inflected album, as well as the location of the headquarters of his record company at the time.

I would never have picked up on the significance of Chess Records had it not been for your posts in the recent past.     Not sure if the book you read mentioned that the Stones had recorded at Chess, but since they were one of the first rock bands to infuse their music with blues, it wasn't a mere coincidence that they recorded there.   

Nice Billy Joel connection and "triple play" on the theme of the thread.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Route 66

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I would never have picked up on the significance of Chess Records had it not been for your posts in the recent past.     Not sure if the book you read mentioned that the Stones had recorded at Chess, but since they were one of the first rock bands to infuse their music with blues, it wasn't a mere coincidence that they recorded there.   

Yes, the Stones recording at Chess was mentioned. Also, Marshall Chess, Leonard's son, ended up working with the Stones. He was the first president of Rolling Stones Records and helped create the famous tongue and lips logo. He was an executive producer on seven Stones albums in the 70's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Even though the address in this case is not in the title, I can't fail to mention The Kinks - Celluloid Heroes, based on its walk down Hollywood Boulevard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yes, the Stones recording at Chess was mentioned. Also, Marshall Chess, Leonard's son, ended up working with the Stones. He was the first president of Rolling Stones Records and helped create the famous tongue and lips logo. He was an executive producer on seven Stones albums in the 70's.

Quite nice.  That's amazing re: the Stones, the logo and all associated work done on the 70's albums.   Chess really did have their day in the sun.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

Even though the address in this case is not in the title, I can't fail to mention The Kinks - Celluloid Heroes, based on its walk down Hollywood Boulevard.

Good catch, gerbs.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Taxi - Harry Chapin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqjKDRQvWI

Oh, where you going to, my lady blue, 
    It's a shame you ruined your gown in the rain. 
    She just looked out the window, and said 
    "Sixteen Parkside Lane". 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Taxi - Harry Chapin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfqjKDRQvWI

Oh, where you going to, my lady blue, 
    It's a shame you ruined your gown in the rain. 
    She just looked out the window, and said 
    "Sixteen Parkside Lane". 

Nice catch.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"King's Cross" - Pet Shop Boys  

Only last night I found myself lost
    By the station called King's Cross  

(bending the definition a little bit for this "address" of sorts; King's Cross is a real train station in London)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"King's Cross" - Pet Shop Boys  

Only last night I found myself lost
    By the station called King's Cross  

(bending the definition a little bit for this "address" of sorts; King's Cross is a real train station in London)

Nick Lowe mentions King's Cross in "Who Was That Man?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXQu6xerK4

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Blue Jay Way - Beatles

Shakedown Street- Grateful Dead

Mean Street - Van Halen

Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart

Little old lady from Pasadeana- Jan and Dean

And everybody's saying that there's nobody meaner
    Than the little old lady from Pasadena
    She drives real fast and she drives real hard
    She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits

6th Avenue Heartache - Wallflowers

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

53rd and 3rd.  Not just a great song, IMO....but one of the many that made up the brilliance of the tapestry the Ramones weaved about growing up in Queens....and, as an added bonus, the original, ultimate, Don't Ask / Don't Tell hypocrisy.

Thayer Street.  So sweet, and sad, and wistful. And the homemade video has moments of brilliance:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_QakUvlcgM

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

3744 James Road - The Groundhogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9psUOP9QIU8

I just stumbled onto this one. Someone here posted about The Groundhogs some time back. What a great but underrated band! I like every song I've heard from them. How did these guys slip under the radar?