3 DOG NIGHT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

3 DOG NIGHT

Good or bad? Both? Neither?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: 3 DOG NIGHT

you will probably think I was making it up if I told you I was considering this group as a featured artist for "group of the day"

So I won't tell you.

I have a certain affection for the music of 3 Dog Night. They are essentially a "pop" rock type group and are very seldom mentioned along with the "heavys" of the early 70's time period. As a "singles" group they did very well , compiling an impressive collection of hits. As an "album" group they failed. I think part of the reason why they aren't taken too seriously is because they were a 'singles' group in the 'album' era of classic rock.

Their music always takes me back to my early teens and the summers spent swimming and playing baseball and generally having good fun. I always get a wave of nostalgia from songs like "One" , "Black and White", "Eli's Coming", "Mama Told Me Not To Come" and all the others , these are great songs.

I take out and play the "best of" CD in my collection and travel back to 1971 and it's really cool to relive those days and listen to music that made you smile and music you really had kind of forgot how much you missed it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not Bad.  Better than Good.  But not Great.

To me, this encompasses a lot of 70's AM radio hits.  While a lot of them didn't really rock, they were often soulful and sincere even when not taking themselves too seriously - crucial for a band that didn't write their own songs.  If anything, they had good taste in songwriters - Nyro, Nilsson, Newman, Axton, etc.

Three Dog Night was one of those bands you could bring home to meet the folks.  Unthreatening, unassuming, not really bland but not really compelling, either.  There's a good reason why a lot of their music makes good fodder for commercial endeavors, TV and movies.  It has a pleasing populism to it that, in retrospect, makes some difficult years a little more bearable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

My favorite song by them is "Easy to be hard" from the Broadway musical "Hair" Three Dog Night and Creedance sold the most albums and/or 45's between 1969 and 1972 I believe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I always liked 3 Dog Night,they were huge in the late 60's and early 70's.Everywhere you went or when you'd turn on the radio,a 3 dog Night song would be playing.Mama told me not to come was probably my favorite but Old fashioned Love Song,Never been to Spain,Liar among others still make me stop and take notice when they're played.Their songs brings back many a good memory.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Safe and very successful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Like Zilla, I have very fond memories of this band. My older brother owned Seven Separate Fools on 8-track (remember them?) and we loved it. Since we shared the same room, we listened to it all the time, especially at night as we were drifting off to sleep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I enjoyed this band right up to "Jerimiah Was a Bullfrog".

I still think "One" is as pretty a song as you ever knew.

Do you like how I incorporated some of the lyrics to the comment?

I am having my place painted this weekend and had to sit outside all day yesterday. It was brutal. So brutal that I decided to come into my office for a couple of hours this morning just to escape the boredom. How sad is that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 3 DOG NIGHT:
    I enjoyed this band right up to "Jerimiah Was a Bullfrog". I still think "One" is as pretty a song as you ever knew . Do you like how I incorporated some of the lyrics to the comment? I am having my place painted this weekend and had to sit outside all day yesterday. It was brutal. So brutal that I decided to come into my office for a couple of hours this morning just to escape the boredom. How sad is that?
    Posted by jesseyeric

Good god, man. Don't they have a Starbucks where you live?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: 3 DOG NIGHT:
    In Response to Re: 3 DOG NIGHT : Good god, man. Don't they have a Starbucks where you live?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Hate Starbucks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

When I think of Three Dog Night it takes me back to the days when FM radio was just a rumor. Every summer when I was a kid we would drive to Delaware to visit my mom's family -- that's eight hours in the car with nothing but your obnoxious siblings and the six-button AM radio. It was impossible to get away from Three Dog Night on those trips -- although The Carpenters would show up every once in a while to mix it up a little. Although I must agree with Jessey about two things. Three Dog Night jumped the shark with Joy to the World and Starbucks totally blows.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

My favorite 3 Dog Night Song was The Family of Man. I saw what was the remainder of the Band in a small night club about 10 years ago and it was a great show. It's one of those bands that you know every song they play. Similar concert to The little river band and Seals and Crofts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

I think of 3 Dog Night as blue-eyed soul-less.  They couldn't seem to put together a whole album in an era when that was essential for credibility.  But I do enjoy "Mama Told Me Not to Come," (although I hear Randy Newman is not fond of their version, but then he tends to prefer his own versions of things over covers) and especially their take on Nilsson's "One."  They did seem to have excellent taste in songwriters.  Even Hoyt Axton is a good songwriter despite what you may think of "Joy to the World."

But these guys could never seem to pass the "cool" test.  Their in-fighting may have had something to do with this.