30+ Year-Old Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: 30+ Year-Old Bands

Saga, formed in 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQLWMvJ3sp4

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One of my favorite bands, Boston's own Buffalo Tom,  is closing in at 27.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Good one...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like Saga, but I like "Wind Him Up," "Don't Be Late" and "Ice Nice" better than "On the Loose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bon Jovi. I think they were formed in 1983.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I like Saga, but I like "Wind Him Up," "Don't Be Late" and "Ice Nice" better than "On the Loose.

Saga opened up for Rush at a concert I went to in 1981 I believe so I bought their album Worlds Apart and I still have it. Other than that concert and album I know little about them. I was surprised to find out a few years ago that they were still at it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Saga opened up for Rush at a concert I went to in 1981 I believe so I bought their album Worlds Apartand I still have it. Other than that concert and album I know little about them. I was surprised to find out a few years ago that they were still at it.

I had that album (actually, a tape) that was stolen eventually when my car was broken into. Years later when I was building by CD collection, I picked up a greatest hits CD of their's that has about 16 songs. It's pretty good. It definitely brings you back to the '80s. The three songs I mentioned above are catchy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I can't imagine working with same people for 30 years.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The band NRBQ has been together for 40+ years as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8UmdH_CM4

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Big Add:

Dinosaur Jr. - Formed in Amherst, MA in 1983

They released their 10th studio album last year - "I Bet On Sky" (a grower...gets better with more listens).

As it happens, they now feature their original lineup - J. Mascis, Lou Barlow and Murph.

And a star shines bright in the musical universe for them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Eddie Money.  A good talent.  For some reason he appears a lot in the Akron/Cleveland/Western PA region. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to cavaliersfan's comment:

Eddie Money.  A good talent.  For some reason he appears a lot in the Akron/Cleveland/Western PA region. 

And a realy bad Geico commercial

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The band NRBQ has been together for 40+ years as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u8UmdH_CM4

They should change to ORBQ

That would be more appropriate now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Massive Attack - 25 years and counting  

(BTW, this is what they brought as directors of the London Meltdown Festival in 2008:

Highlights included a very rare live appearance by mythic, proto-trance collective Gong; the first UK performance since 1980 by revered Japanese ‘technopop’ pioneers Yellow Magic Orchestra; the Reggae Acoustic Songbook, featuring unplugged performances by Johnny Clarke, Earl 16, Prince Malachai and Massive Attack collaborator Horace Andy; live music from Mercury Music Award-winning band Elbow; peerless international diva Grace Jones; funk godfather George Clinton and Parliament; and a unique performance by Heritage Orchestra of Vangelis’ majestic, glacial soundtrack to dystopian classic Blade Runner.)

and

Yo La Tengo (1984) -- one year shy of 30

Yikes -- I am a newbie fan in a way.   Had no idea until recently of their long-standing out-of-mainstream existence and success.   

Anyone?  Opinions on Yo La Tengo?   I'd make a thread, but I'm not sure it would be quite right coming from me, although I am quite taken with what I know of them.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Anyone?  Opinions on Yo La Tengo?   I'd make a thread, but I'm not sure it would be quite right coming from me, although I am quite taken with what I know of them.  

Great band.  Dreamy, diverse, noisy, ambitious stuff.  Not rock in a typical sense, but more of a jazzy chamber pop.  "Painful" was my first intro to the band, heavy as I was into Sonic Youth and the Velvets.  Saw them play with Sebadoh around the same time.  

Since then, they kind of faded in and out of my vision - usually on soundtracks, i.e. "I Shot Andy Warhol".  "I'm Not Afraid Of You..." is the last album I bought.

I love their cover of '4th Time Around" on the 'I'm Not There' soundtrack, among others.  They have a penchant for covers, which they seem to be able to roll off effortlessly.  A good friend used "You Can Have It All" as his wedding song.

I've only heard one song - "Is That Enough" - off of their latest LP, but it's solid as usual.  It's definitely 'mood music' for me...very situational.  Not surprised you would discover them.

Just as with Harper, there is much to explore....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Great band.  Dreamy, diverse, noisy, ambitious stuff.  Not rock in a typical sense, but more of a jazzy chamber pop.  "Painful" was my first intro to the band, heavy as I was into Sonic Youth and the Velvets.  Saw them play with Sebadoh around the same time.  

Since then, they kind of faded in and out of my vision - usually on soundtracks, i.e. "I Shot Andy Warhol".  "I'm Not Afraid Of You..." is the last album I bought.

I love their cover of '4th Time Around" on the 'I'm Not There' soundtrack, among others.  They have a penchant for covers, which they seem to be able to roll off effortlessly.  A good friend used "You Can Have It All" as his wedding song.

I've only heard one song - "Is That Enough" - off of their latest LP, but it's solid as usual.  It's definitely 'mood music' for me...very situational.  Not surprised you would discover them.

Just as with Harper, there is much to explore....

They are definitely my somewhat usual cup of tea, it's true.  :)   

Been on my radar for about 2-3 years, but I just didn't pursue, as they would go off and on, and you know, so much music, so little focus.   I saw someone with the band's name as her handle 2-3 years ago, in a discussion forum about other topics, which is how I found out about them in the first place.

Could have knocked me over w/a feather that they were founded in the 80's (rather than the 90's) and are now going on their 30th.    

The timing is that they had a new release in January 2013; that put them on my radar for a purchase once and for all.   

The new album, "Fade" (funny you said they "faded in and out ...")  looks perfect for me.    Lots of long-standing fans think it's a great album, but may not feel the need to buy "more of the same" (fits nicely in with their catalog) -- what I found is that "I'm Not Afraid of You" is one of the most mentioned albums, along with "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One" and " ...?? " And then Turned Inside Out" (might have this a bit off) ... in any event, I put the new album into my cart on Amazon, and there it will stay.    

See, it's easy as pie for me to come in on a band like this, with a dozen albums to their credit -- it's the bees and honey.     Lots of long-standing fans already have what they view as their "masterpieces" so as much as they love the band, they may pass on "Fade" because it's more of the same, whereas for (people like) me, it's just the beginning.   

BTW, did you see that "Low" just popped out a new album like a week ago or so?   Just when I said I had to stop buying music that all sounded the same ...  (but it doesn't sound the same to me--  that's the problem).  

There is, however, no place like home.    :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Church have been around for 30 years..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In the Garage Punk scene I'm into, there is the same sort of interest in original bands / reformations that there is in more mainstream scenes.  I'm off-message on this....there are very few 60s Garage Punk bands (Sonics & Monks, obviously) I rate as highly as the top Garage revival bands (Lyres, Cynics, Mummies, etc.).

But someone is always putting these bands on somewhere at a festival.  I've seen loads.  Trashmen?  Rubbish.  Standells?  Meh....although Dick Dodd is now back with them so I'll reserve judgement.  Sonics?  Great, though Gerry Roslie's voice couldn't possibly be the same. Poets?  Excellent, though only two original members.  

The best two, by far?:  Number 2 was the Remains.  I've posted before that I think they are among the most underrated bands ever....certainly Boston's most underrated band.  Number 1?  The Monks.  Totally amazing, among the best, most kick @ss gigs I've ever seen and I've seen thousands.  They were in their 60s....hadn't played in 35-40 years...playing (I saw them in NY, London and Valencia) mainly to people half their age or less and totally killed them.

Don't know them?  5 American ex-GIs in Germany started a Punk band....counter-cultural, anti-war.....their songs are mesmerising, hypnotic.  Get their first (and only) album.

This is from German tv around '65/'66:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3fAzQzgeSc

This is from 2006:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ea1FeU-Q0k

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Another killer gig by an "old" band was Radio Birdman around 2005 or so.  I didn't know them growing up in Boston.....got to know them after I moved to London in the 90s.  Immediately became one of my favourite bands.

Early '70s Aussie stoners, they misheard the lyrics from the Stooges' "1970" ("Radio burnin' up above") to name themselves....totally brilliant rock'n'roll/proto punk/whatever band.  Could not believe my luck to see them, nor how @ss kicking they were.

Their signature song is "Aloha Steve and Danno":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkKiZ9VSD6U  (another of my all time favourites)

2006:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YwD-FK1Mys

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Just saw this post again and, of course, it's the Fleshtones.  ;)  Forget their music (though I like it a lot...in my top 20 or so)....hands down, slam dunk, Marilyn Monroe in the Link In room they are the best live band ever for me.  

I love them and their story:  if you want to see a wonderful 64-minute documentary about passion, love, friendship and belief watch this:  http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/pardon_us_for_living_but_the_graveyard_is_full

* keep an eye out for the "new bass player, Kenny Fox"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....I was at a festival a few years ago having a ciggy upstairs outside with a mate, an Irish singer some might know (not famous AT ALL).  Cool guy, fit the stereotype of the feisty Irish.

At one point I said "Yeah, fred, can't wait for x festival next month......this band, that band, you and the Fleshtones".  "Fred" said (trying to type in an Irish accent) "Emmm, I dunno Sonics...I've heard bad tings about the Fleshtones."

I was speechless "babbababbabab what possible bad things could you have heard about the Fleshtones?"

"I've heard they do goofy tings on stage, like pressups (push ups) and playing each others' guitars"

I said "Well yeah, and lots more...their music stands on its own, but they have a proper show...mocking bands, music, themselves.  They have official band stances, names...it's a show."

Fred argued with me for about 5 minutes until I stopped it "This is absurd, I've seen them 20 times over 30 years, you've never seen them. Stop it."

After their show the next month....wonderful, sweaty, fun, crazy.....Fred walked up to me and said "Sonics, I'm a fooking idjit, that was incredible.".  I said "I know, I told you!".

Sections
Shortcuts