33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough"

This little series of books is sure to amuse you and might spark some interest for your own reading pleasure.    The publisher is Continuum.

It's a  series of short (very short) books about a variety of albums.  Each little gem is about one specific album.   You have to see the assortment that's been published thus far to believe it.  

Regardless of whether you're interested to read any of these little gems, scanning the list of titles to see the unusual, eclectic and unpredictable list of albums that have been chosen for subject matter is fun in itself.  

I gave one for a gift a while back and it was a big hit.  

You can look the series up on Wikipedia, too (as well as Amazon), but I will link you to the publisher's website for the 33 1/3 series:

ALSO:

Not to single anyone out (AHEM) ... but "I ain't too proud to beg" or suggest someone who posts here regularly who has the music / artist and artistic knowledge in addition to damned mean writing skills should (please) check out the "how to submit a book proposal for the series" link -- because IMNSHO, it would be a crime if you didn't at least think about it.   

It's easy enough to find, but here is it anyhow:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: 33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough"

Very cool, yf, I will definitely check this out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough"

Wow.  That's quite the daunting list...credit to the editor's critical eye.

Thanks for the link, yoga...!!  You so very rock!   :P

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough":
    [QUOTE]Very cool, yf, I will definitely check this out. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hfx, 
    It's very similar to the motif of your blog -- as you focus on only one song per blog entry -- the books focus on one album.   

BTW, when I was looking them over, I saw that one of the authors is someone that I (used to) know.   That was a nice surprise, too.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  By my count, I can only see one duplicate artist in the list:

The Rolling Stones

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough":
    [QUOTE]Wow.  That's quite the daunting list...credit to the editor's critical eye. Thanks for the link, yoga...!!  You so very rock!   :P
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks.  

I know, the assortment is out of sight, isn't it?   

You so very better look at that link.   Seriously -- think about it.  Yours for the taking.    :)
    ETA:   I realize that many of the authors have serious resumes in writing / and or in music, but I would not let that be a deterrant.   It's impossible to know how stringent the requirements are in that regard, and while the guy I know who wrote one of the books is pretty well-connected, I'm sure his manuscript needed heavy editing.  Just my opinion.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 33 1/3 Series - "Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren't enough" : Heh, thanks.   I know, the assortment is out of sight, isn't it?    You so very better look at that link.   Seriously -- think about it.  Yours for the taking.     :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Sweet.  Thank you for your kind encouragement. 

This looks like "professional rock geek" work, not my usual room-clearing hackery...

...but many thanks just the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Cool . Looks like my kind of reading material.  I'll probably be checking out quite a few of them. Thanks for posting this, yoga. And you are right on about the importance of a good editor to any writer, no matter the skill level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I can remember a time when being called a "geek" was not flattering.

I still don't like the term.

I prefer to be known as a "Rock Aficionado."

Kind of makes a person sound more important than they really are.

Sort of like this guy:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I can remember a time when being called a "geek" was not flattering. I still don't like the term. I prefer to be known as a "Rock Aficionado." Kind of makes a person sound more important than they really are. Sort of like this guy:
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Actually, the quote in the header is from Rolling Stone (re:geeks); the quote was on the website some where or other. I should have given it an attribution, just lazy on my part.  :P   

I will reserve Rock Aficionado for you, Zilla.  No problem.  :)

I'm fine being called a geek in my profession and in some of my offbeat recreational interests.  We all have our quirks. 

This is the heirarchy:

Geeks have knowledge / are smart, and are socially adept. 

Nerds have knowledge / are smart, but they do not have social skills.  I've known many lovable nerds.   

Dorks are neither bright, nor do they have social skills.  They can also be lovable -- just don't count on them to know the answers.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Thanks for clearing all that up, yoga. I can always count on you!

I am happy to know that I do not fit into any of those categories.

There must be a name for people who are knowledgeable on a few select topics ( Science Fiction,classic comedy, action movies, 70's crime drama shows, NASCAR, Rock music,American histroy, baseball, paint, lawns, cartooning , for example) but know little about everything else, have good social skills....yet generally dislike John Q. Public and prefer to be left alone when not working. Definately "likeable", sometimes "lovable."

I think there is a name for such people. Perhaps it's not a good one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Wow, I took a look at what's required just to get to the point of having them consider your proposed book.  You really have to be serious and motivated and ready to roll by April 30.  For now I think I'll have to just read one or two of the books, to see what kind of work is being done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, I took a look at what's required just to get to the point of having them consider your proposed book.  You really have to be serious and motivated and ready to roll by April 30.  For now I think I'll have to just read one or two of the books, to see what kind of work is being done.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Yes, the process itself separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.  Only the serious go to the trouble, and need bother apply.  I changed the link above to the more direct one that you saw for the 33 1/3 series, which is specific to the series, that has the deadline on it.   I didn't realize they don't take proposals on a "rolling" basis.   

You would certainly need (and would want) to read a few of the books in the series to get a flavor for how they're written -- they're very much the reflection of the author and his/her POV on the album.   I bought one for a gift (The Smiths) and read it myself before I gave it away (ha ha) and while I'm not a huge Smiths fan, reading about the album was true fun.    

It would take months to go through the process of putting together a proposal, and it's certainly too late now, IMO.  Maybe the bug is in Matty's ear, maybe it's in yours, and if that's the case, get hold of some of the books, comb through the requirements and let that resonate for a while, and who knows?  Being realistic about the chances of being chosen is key, but going through the process might be very rewarding (if not time consuming).   Even thinking about the album you'd like to write about would be a blast, wouldn't it?  (and would take quite a bit of thought)

I'm going to comb through the titles (so fun to look at that list) and make a few picks, too.  We'll see.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

yf, I am passing on this info to two people who are published rock music writers to see if they are interested.

Sections
Shortcuts