7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012

"Mark David Chapman, 57, was denied parole by a three-member board after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said Thursday. The transcript of his latest hearing wasn't immediately released.

Chapman shot Lennon in December 1980 outside the Manhattan apartment building where the former Beatle lived. He was sentenced in 1981 to 20 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder. The musician, singer and songwriter was 40.

"Despite your positive efforts while incarcerated, your release at this time would greatly undermine respect for the law and tend to trivialize the tragic loss of life which you caused as a result of this heinous, unprovoked, violent, cold and calculated crime," board member Sally Thompson wrote. Board members Joseph Crangle and Marc Coppola agreed.

"The panel notes your good conduct, program achievements, educational accomplishments, positive presentation, remorse, risk and needs assessment, letters of support, significant opposition to your release and all other statutory factors were considered," Thompson wrote. "However, parole shall not be granted for good conduct and program completions alone."

Full article:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012

In Response to Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012 : Well ok. And I'll say: you'll be consistent as long as you apply that to all murderers.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Did you read the article?  

The transcript of the hearing will be released, it just wasn't released yet.   If you have any reason to feel the decision to deny parole was unjust, take it up with them.  I doubt there's any sane human on the planet who would disagree with the denial.

Seriously, dude, give it a rest.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012 : Ok. I won't voice opinions. I mean, John Lennon wasn't a great musician. He was a God. It is sacriledge for me to dare suggest that when someone makes a decision about parole, I would personally expect it to have to do with (1) the nature of the crime, (2) the nature of the individual, and not the victim's status.

You read an awful lot into four words, and words that didn't say a thing about not stating your opinion.  

Lennon was no God to me, and inferring that expressing an opinion is "sacriledge" just shows your own sarcastic viewpoint, and has nothing to do with my comment -- related more to your combativeness in style, not the content of what you said.  Should I have made that more clear?  My bad.

As for the decision, I don't think there was anything in the article that indicated that the status of the victim played into the decision, but if you see a need to question it, then go right ahead.  If you had read the article, then you would have seen Lennon's name was never mentioned in the statement regarding the decision but had only to do with the nature of the crime.  

I have no intention of arguing with you, BTW, and hope you know me well enough from this forum that I've never tried to halt anyone from expressing an opinion; I start more than 50% of the threads here for the sole purpose of creating discussions and giving voice to opinions, and hardly feel the need to defend myself, or make something out of nothing.    Have a nice afternoon.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Let him out. There is a price on his head in the street. He won't last a month. Better a bullet in his head than my tax dollars being spent to keep him alive.

And yes, I do view him differently than other murders. Should have been a murder 1 charge, not a murder 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Let him out. There is a price on his head in the street. He won't last a month. Better a bullet in his head than my tax dollars being spent to keep him alive. And yes, I do view him differently than other murders. Should have been a murder 1 charge, not a murder 2.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was thinking of your uncle at the thought of him being out on the streets of New York ...  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th denial of parole for John Lennon's killer - August 23, 2012 : Well ok. And I'll say: you'll be consistent as long as you apply that to all murderers.

No, no, no.....there was no "reasonable doubt" here! He was caught red handed!

I would apply the same standard to all those caught with a smoking gun in hand! Why not?

Flush this turd!  IMHO

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts