80's music, what did you like and not like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

80's music, what did you like and not like?

Just for fun, name 5 musical artists that started in or are identified most with the 80's that you like ( not necessarily your favorites, but could be).

..and 5 you didn't like ( or even hated)...not necessarily the ones you dislike most...but could be.

Just the first ones that come to mind.

I'll start.

Like: Depeche Mode
              Psychedelic Furs
              Talk Talk
              Duran Duran
              Public Image Limited

Did not like: Madonna
                          Kajagoogoo
                          Culture Club
                          A-Ha
                          Huey Lewis and the News

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?

Liked: 
    Depeche Mode
    Air Supply
    Billy Joel
    U2
    Bon Jovi

The list of bands I didn't like is far too long to choose only 5. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Zill,
       Technically some of these artist were not founded in the '80s, but to me they reached their maturity during and are closely associated with the '80s

LIKED
    The Cure
    The Smiths
    New Order
    U2
    and I don't mean to offend or cause controversy Prince

DISLIKED
    Bon Jovi (sorry Kar)
    Huey Lewis
    Starship (they do fit the criteria because they dropped Jefferson around 1980 :BTW I liked Jefferson Airplane/early Jefferson Starship a lot)
    Rick Astley
    New Kids on the Block

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

80's top 5, inpo:

New Order
    Sonic Youth
    Pixies
    The Replacements
    Jesus And Mary Chain

Honorable Mention: Prince, The The, The Cure, Black Flag, Mission Of Burma, Tears For Fears, Big Audio Dynamite, PiL, Ministry, Faith No More

[Edit: Talking Heads removed as "70s band"]

bottom 5, inpo:

Bon Jovi
    Poison
    Culture Club
    Wham!
    Bad English

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Liked (random, npo):
      Pet Shop Boys
      New Order
      Prince
      Madonna
      10,000 Maniacs   and **The Eurythmics**

Not so liked, npo:
      Culture Club
      UB40
      WHAM
      Bon Jovi 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Smiths
    XTC
    New Order
    Thomas Dolby
    Jam
    Clash

Bottom
    Spandau Ballet
    Flock Of Seagulls
    Culture Club
    Banarama
    Madonna

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No offense taken jkj!  I might have an insane crush on The Edge for his music ability and what I perceive as a "deep" countenance that betrays the soul from where the music comes, but I acknowledge not everyone does...strangely enough. ;)

ETA: Oops, just realized you didn't care for Bon Jovi, not U2.  Yeah, I have to say Bon Jovi is an odd pleasure of mine - I know it's not technically great music.  I just like it for some reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Liked (in npo)

REM
    U2
    Prince
    Duran Duran
    The Bangels (Largely due to Susanna Hoffs)

Not So Much (in npo)

New Kids On The Block
    UB40

Wham

Twisted Sister

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

5's just not enough, but I'll stay on topic. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So far everybody has really good taste.

The only one I am surprised to see in the "don't like" column is Flock of Seagulls.

They aren't a real favorite of mine, but that song "I Ran" is just a really cool song. 

But everyone has their opinions and I appreciate the honest answers.

I am also a big fan of The Smiths,The Jesus and Mary Chain and R.E.M., (The Jam, The Clash and Billy Joel did start in the 70's , but they were in fact going strong in the early 80's , so it's cool with me).

Love and Rockets was a really good one , but the group they split from Bauhaus is more of an 80's band, while L&R kind of straddles the 80's and 90's.

Also , the Thomson Twins and Howard Jones were solid 80's artists. Old standby David Bowie enjoyed a revival in the 80's but most still identify him with the 70's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Everybody has pretty much hit my favorites. I felt the spirit of the rules meant bands that were formed in the '80s and not simply were around, which eliminates Springsteen, Boston, Clash, etc.

I'll add 10,000 Maniacs.

Oh, to Newman (Newman!) ... if you like Susanna Hoffs, you'll like this:

http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/5934271

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?:
    [QUOTE]Everybody has pretty much hit my favorites. I felt the spirit of the rules meant bands that were formed in the '80s and not simply were around, which eliminates Springsteen, Boston, Clash, etc. I'll add 10,000 Maniacs. Oh, to Newman (Newman!) ... if you like Susanna Hoffs, you'll like this: http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/5934271
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Don't worry too much about the rules, Lloyd.

Your opinion is more valuable than stinking rules, even if I made them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just named bands that created new music in the 80s, but not ones that were necessarily formed in the 80s. 

I also like REM, but didn't start getting into them 'til I went to college in '90 so I didn't feel right naming that band.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]So far everybody has really good taste. The only one I am surprised to see in the "don't like" column is Flock of Seagulls. They aren't a real favorite of mine, but that song "I Ran" is just a really cool song.  But everyone has their opinions and I appreciate the honest answers. I am also a big fan of The Smiths,The Jesus and Mary Chain and R.E.M., (The Jam, The Clash and Billy Joel did start in the 70's , but they were in fact going strong in the early 80's , so it's cool with me). Love and Rockets was a really good one , but the group they split from Bauhaus is more of an 80's band, while L&R kind of straddles the 80's and 90's. Also , the Thomson Twins and Howard Jones were solid 80's artists. Old standby David Bowie enjoyed a revival in the 80's but most still identify him with the 70's.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but I just never really warmed to Flock Of Seagulls. But I liked Alphaville very much, and kind of liked AH-HA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]So far everybody has really good taste. The only one I am surprised to see in the "don't like" column is Flock of Seagulls. They aren't a real favorite of mine, but that song "I Ran" is just a really cool song.  But everyone has their opinions and I appreciate the honest answers. I am also a big fan of The Smiths,The Jesus and Mary Chain and R.E.M., (The Jam, The Clash and Billy Joel did start in the 70's , but they were in fact going strong in the early 80's , so it's cool with me). Love and Rockets was a really good one , but the group they split from Bauhaus is more of an 80's band, while L&R kind of straddles the 80's and 90's. Also , the Thomson Twins and Howard Jones were solid 80's artists. Old standby David Bowie enjoyed a revival in the 80's but most still identify him with the 70's.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I am going to be the one who is polar opposite of everyone here:

Favorites

Def Leppard
    Tesla
    Enuff z' Nuff
    Guns and Roses
    LA Guns

Least Favorites

Bon Jovi
    Europe
    Huey Lewis and the News
    Cocteau Twins
    Men At Work

I do not mean to cause a ruckus here, but for me, the best thing to happen in the 80's was "Bringing on the Heartbreak" by Def Leppard. It was the beginning of the end for the third tier New Wave bands and some of that horrible post punk that was beginning to take over.

Now excuse me, I have to go jump in a foxhole now as I suspect some of you will be throwing bombs at me shortly.

The worst thing was Jon Bon Jovi.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll just go with likes for now:

Guns N Roses
    Soundgarden
    Living Colour
    Talking Heads
    Tears for Fears

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I'll just go with likes for now: Guns N Roses Soundgarden Living Colour Talking Heads Tears for Fears
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

HFX - I don't think Talking Heads is allowed on this this. I saw them in 75/76 at CBGB's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They had new stuff in the 80s, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : HFX - I don't think Talking Heads is allowed on this this. I saw them in 75/76 at CBGB's.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

The giant lizard said it could be someone who either started in the 80's or is most identified with the 80's...I would say the Heads are probably most identified with the 80's because of their videos, but I suppose it's debatable.  I also noticed that Matty ScornD had them on his honorable mentions...

I will abide by the ruling of the mammoth reptile.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]They had new stuff in the 80s, though.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

That is true - I misread the thread. My apologies HFX. That being the case, I would like to add the Talking Heads to my list of most hated of the 80's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I'll just go with likes for now: Guns N Roses Soundgarden Living Colour Talking Heads Tears for Fears
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

OH my yes, "Living Colour." Definitely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Ok I have seen much I agree with Guns n Roses, no doubt they saved us all from the horror of hair metal.

But I can not believe the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan has not been mentioned, this guy was a talent playing a guitar that we had not seen since Jimi Hendirx.

Another one I toss out that did not start in the 80's but became a changed band in the 1980 was AC/DC, After the death of Bon Scott it all could have ended.  Instead AC/DC made the album everyone dreamed of, balls to wall hard driving no ballads.  Just flat out great hard rock....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The '80s gave us Del Fuegos, which automatically makes the '80s awesome and should count as five all by itself.

Sadly, the '80s also gave us GreatTwistedWhitePoisonLionRattSnake, which seems like a lot more than five, but is really only one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]The '80s gave us Del Fuegos , which automatically makes the '80s awesome and should count as five all by itself. Sadly, the '80s also gave us GreatTwistedWhitePoisonLionRattSnake , which seems like a lot more than five, but is really only one.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Twisted Sister = very bad. Poison, except for a couple of standout songs, fairly forgettable musically. Whitesnake when John Sykes was in the band was absolutely monster. After that, they became a video band to the music John wrote and recorded with Coverdale. However, David was and is one of the better vocalists in Rock. Great White  (See Poison), but when they hit with a good song, this band was excellent. White Lion should have been better - but they released some excellent music.

Ratt - excellent band

As for the DF - I think I will keep my mouth shut.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Have to put in an RIP here for Irish blues-rocker Gary Moore, who died Sunday at 58, apparently of a heart attack.  Moore played on a couple of Thin Lizzy albums and had a very diverse solo career.  He put out some great albums in the 80's like Corridors of Power and Wild Frontier, and the insanely heavy live album We Want Moore.  Played some gigs with blues legends like Albert King and Albert Collins.  An underrated musician.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Absolutely Hfx.