80's music, what did you like and not like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?:
    [QUOTE]Sadly, the '80s also gave us GreatTwistedWhitePoisonLionRattSnake , which seems like a lot more than five, but is really only one.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Can't tell you how hard I laughed at that.  So true...so sad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i am not qualified to answer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Billy Joel released 5 awesome albums in the 80s - that should qualify for more than a gimme!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Really - I will take the majority of the good hard rock that came out of the 80's than any of that pretentious indie/alt drivel.

Sadly, people want to attach the 80's to so many of the MTV fluff bands and it was so much more than that.

Poison, Bon Jovi, Europe represent the marketing bands of the era, but this is not what the scene was really like.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : The giant lizard said it could be someone who either started in the 80's or is most identified with the 80's...I would say the Heads are probably most identified with the 80's because of their videos, but I suppose it's debatable.  I also noticed that Matty ScornD had them on his honorable mentions... I will abide by the ruling of the mammoth reptile.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I, too, associate them more with the 70s, same as with The Clash, The Ramones, Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello, so it was my error putting them in my HM pile.  Edit forthcoming....

This is versus, say, Prince, The Cure or Black Flag, who all started in the 70s but really defined themselves in the 80s.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]After that, they (Whitesnake) became a video band to the music John wrote and recorded with Coverdale. -------------------- How many recall Coverdale did 2 albums with one of the most definitive bands of the 70's of all time - the legendary Deep Purple?
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

It was 3 actually, Greg...Burn, Stormbringer, and Come Taste the Band, on which Tommy Bolin replaced Blackmore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Billy Joel released 5 awesome albums in the 80s - that should qualify for more than a gimme!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

BOOOOOO

"play something from the stranger!"

"we only play 80's doo-wop joel..."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Really - I will take the majority of the good hard rock that came out of the 80's than any of that pretentious indie/alt drivel. Sadly, people want to attach the 80's to so many of the MTV fluff bands and it was so much more than that. Poison, Bon Jovi, Europe represent the marketing bands of the era, but this is not what the scene was really like.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    So indie/alt is pretentious drivel to you?  Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but to dismiss it in that tone with no examples is pretty harsh.   It's a legitimate genre of music, and just because it doesn't "speak" to you, doesn't mean it's all pretentious drivel.

Now we do see eye to eye on the Talking Heads, so it's not as though I don't understand you, but I expect more from you. 
    Frown
    ps you seem to be picking on everyone!  (well, not me) -- I saw you picked on Hfx and the Talking Heads ... ok, I get that.  Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

second...if it wasn't for that pretentious drivel there wouldn't be any radiohead!

and that, my friend, is something you should look into.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : BOOOOOO "play something from the stranger!" "we only play 80's doo-wop joel..."
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

The F#(%ing Catalina Wine Mixer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't mind it when people pick on the Talking Heads...they're not one of my most beloved artists by any means and I can certainly understand why they would irritate some people.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not a big Billy Joel fan but I did buy some of his albums and I like The Stranger and Glass Houses quite a bit...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Nice catch.  I have Come Taste the Band. Quite forgettable.  Tommy could play, but that just wasn't Purple.  I love Steve Morse too, but that ain't Purple either. I feel the same way about Yes with Trevor Rabin, and those were great albums.  Just not Yes, ya know?

Rabin and Yes did some great work together. "Changes," was just a brilliant, underrated song, and one of the 80's best, along with that first album. Without Howe and Wakeman, Yes was just not the same band, but that album was still stellar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

For me, it was
    (On the like list)
    U2
    Depache Mode
    The Cure
    REM
    The Smiths

And for the don't likes:
    Madonna
    Beastie Boys
    Whitney Houston
    Michael Jackson
    Spandau Ballet

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yogi - I am not picking on anyone and the music they listen to. It is just my opinion that so much of what was coming out of the alt scene was fairly forgettable. Some of the earlier comments were blasting the MTV scene as wasteful and it was, but that scene did not really reflect what was really happening in the Hard Rock scene - Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, and some of the other bands I named. Musicianship out of many of these bands was far superior to everything else in the 80's. Take Winger - considered a fluff band back in the day and made fun of in the Beavis and Butthead cartoons. It took years before people actually started admitting that they did enjoy the melody of the music and the amazing playing of Reb Beach. Dokken is another band who everyone wanted to slam as the 80's came to a close, but George Lynch could do things with that guitar that some thought not possible. FYI - in some circles of musicians, it is Lynch who is credited with the famous tapping that Eddie Van Halen receives all the glory for.

Don't get me wrong, I love many of the bands that have been named. Give me the Pixies and I am in heaven. Kings X is another band that most are not familiar with. I can name many others from all genres.

I am not taking any of this personal, but sometimes some (not all) in the Indie/Alt crowd think themselves a bit superior to other genres. And I am just standing up for good old fashioned party RnR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Talking about straight up rock and roll, one of my favorite sleeper bands (and a great live act) were The Smithereens.  Unpretentious, great riffs, good melodies and lyrics and a heavy debt to The Beatles - albeit with a darker, moodier edge.

"Blood & Roses" has one of THE outstanding bass lines of all-time, and yet they didn't have the flash of 80s pop metal or fit the zeitgeist of the 90s alt-rock scene.  Totally underrated, IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Talking about straight up rock and roll, one of my favorite sleeper bands (and a great live act) were The Smithereens.  Unpretentious, great riffs, good melodies and lyrics and a heavy debt to The Beatles - albeit with a darker, moodier edge. "Blood & Roses" has one of THE outstanding bass lines of all-time, and yet they didn't have the flash of 80s pop metal or fit the zeitgeist of the 90s alt-rock scene.  Totally underrated, IMO.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

You hit it out of the park with the Smithereens. The band could play, especially live. Which leads me to your next thread.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

GNR
    Motley Crue
    Judas Priest
    Beastie Boys
    Metallica
    Anthrex
    Iron Maiden

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Yogi - I am not picking on anyone and the music they listen to. It is just my opinion that so much of what was coming out of the alt scene was fairly forgettable. Some of the earlier comments were blasting the MTV scene as wasteful and it was, but that scene did not really reflect what was really happening in the Hard Rock scene - Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, and some of the other bands I named. Musicianship out of many of these bands was far superior to everything else in the 80's. Take Winger - considered a fluff band back in the day and made fun of in the Beavis and Butthead cartoons. It took years before people actually started admitting that they did enjoy the melody of the music and the amazing playing of Reb Beach. Dokken is another band who everyone wanted to slam as the 80's came to a close, but George Lynch could do things with that guitar that some thought not possible. FYI - in some circles of musicians, it is Lynch who is credited with the famous tapping that Eddie Van Halen receives all the glory for. Don't get me wrong, I love many of the bands that have been named. Give me the Pixies and I am in heaven. Kings X is another band that most are not familiar with. I can name many others from all genres. I am not taking any of this personal, but sometimes some (not all) in the Indie/Alt crowd think themselves a bit superior to other genres. And I am just standing up for good old fashioned party RnR.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Hey, jessey, thanks!   And great response.
    I just thought you were making a sweeping generalization, and this shows you're more open than you seemed to be in your other post.  I think you have a rep for standing up for "good old fashioned party RnR" and that's what we love about you, but at the same time, just wanted you to explain what you meant ... and you did that here, and quite nicely.  yogi
    Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I loved the eerie mysterious sound of New Wave.  Also I liked Reggae music.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

One last thing about the 80's and this is truly a typical male, piggish moment. NYC had clubs for all genres of music. You could go to CBGB's for the Punk/Alt scene, L'Amours for the Hard Rock Scene, etc.

Being in my 20's at the time, those clubs that featured Hard Rock/Pop Metal bands just drew a far better looking crowd.

Sorry, Big Hair, Spandex Mini-skirts and high heeled women were far more attractive. And guess what clubs they were going to? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Why is that piggish?  Girls dressed up in heels, micro-minis, and big hair to be noticed!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And bless every one of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

haha. oh boy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : I don't know about G&R being underrated.  They made a gazillion dollars in a relatively short time, and VH1 gave Welcome to the Jungle the greatest hard rock song of all time honors (yea, I had a problem wit dat).  Plus, Slash is an icon. Thats not what I'd call underrated.  I might (might) even lean towards over.

I agree.

But I said "Blood & Roses", i.e., the Smithereens single, not GnR.

But since you brought it up, GnR might have been one the worst shows I EVER saw.  They opened for Aerosmith and seemed too drunk to even play, much less sing.  The Bad Boys sounded better, but only slightly...a big disappointment.