80's music, what did you like and not like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?:
    In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : You hit it out of the park with the Smithereens. The band could play, especially live. Which leads me to your next thread.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I actually saw them live in '07 at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills, CA with about 250 people.  Pat was big as a house, but his voice still sounded good, and the band rocked hard through at least 20 straight songs.  Again, when they played that "B&R" bass line at the end, the crowd went berserk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : It was 3 actually, Greg...Burn, Stormbringer, and Come Taste the Band, on which Tommy Bolin replaced Blackmore.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

This is correct except that Tommy Bolin TOOK OVER guitar duties in Deep Purple for Ritchie Blackmore.

No one could ever replace Ritchie Blackmore. If Heavy Metal guitar music was a religion ( and some think it is, including me), Blackmore is it's high priest, Bolin would only be an alter boy.

I mean , who doesn't instantly know the riffs from Smoke on the Water, Burn and Woman From Tokyo? How many Tommy Bolin riffs are legendary? He is best known for dying of an overdose.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : This is correct except that Tommy Bolin TOOK OVER guitar duties in Deep Purple for Ritchie Blackmore. No one could ever replace Ritchie Blackmore. If Heavy Metal guitar music was a religion ( and some think it is, including me), Blackmore is it's high priest, Bolin would only be an alter boy. I mean , who doesn't instantly know the riffs from Smoke on the Water, Burn and Woman From Tokyo? How many Tommy Bolin riffs are legendary? He is best known for dying of an overdose.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Bolin didn't create any riffs like Blackmore did, that's for sure, but methinks you were a wee bit harsh on him there.  I own a bunch of his stuff and I think he was a fantastic guitarist in his own right.  Like many great musicians he got stupid with drugs and died young. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beesue. Show beesue's posts

Bon Jovi ( still love them )
    Boston
    Air Supply
    Eddie Money
    Gun's n Roses
    Tears for Fears
    Golden Earring
    Journey
    Styxx
    Kenny Loggins
    KC & The Sunshine Band
    Kool & the Gang

Disliked in the 80's
    Madonna
    Duran Duran
    Bob Segar
    Phil Collins
    Milli Vanilli

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Bolin didn't create any riffs like Blackmore did, that's for sure, but methinks you were a wee bit harsh on him there.  I own a bunch of his stuff and I think he was a fantastic guitarist in his own right.  Like many great musicians he got stupid with drugs and died young. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Oh, God yes!, Bolin was talented, no doubt.

His solo stuff is very good. But I also think Lindsey Buckingham is a great talent and so is Bob Welch. But neither could hold a candle to the original Fleetwood Mac guitarist, Peter Green.

I own "Come Taste the Band" and I used to have it on vinyl, too. Frankly it is the least played of all the Deep Purple CD's in my collection....and I own a ton of them, live shows, bootlegs, rarities , etc.

All I am trying to say is Black Sabbath went forward without Ozzie...but Deep Purple pretty much was finished without Blackmore. As miserable and cranky of a person as he may have been , Rainbow went on to bigger and better things...while Deep Purple packed it in until the return of the MKII lineup of Paice, Glover, Lord , Gillan and Blackmore. Nothing against Coverdale and Hughes , they added a new direction , but Blackmore's Rainbow along with the Scorpions were my favorite hard rock acts of the '80's....until Deep Purple reformed with it's best lineup.Possibly the highlight of the entire 80's decade. At least for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Everybody has pretty much hit my favorites. I felt the spirit of the rules meant bands that were formed in the '80s and not simply were around, which eliminates Springsteen, Boston, Clash, etc. I'll add 10,000 Maniacs. Oh, to Newman (Newman!) ... if you like Susanna Hoffs, you'll like this: http://www.fark.com/vidplayer/5934271
    Posted by LloydDobler

Thanks Lloyd!!! I almost missed your reply, she looks just as stunning as ever...thanks again!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I must admit that the track "Lady Luck" from the Tommy Bolin DP album is amazing and one of my favorites.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Liked
    Jack Mack and the Heart Attack
    Stray Cats
    Billy Joel
    Elvis Costello
    Joe Jackson

Didn't like
    Flock of Seagulls
    Culture Club
    Cyndi Lauper
    George Michael
    Haircut 100

I'm actually kind of neutral on Huey Lewis and the News. Their original stuff wasn't great, but some of their covers were superb. Didn't they cover a Franky Lymon song?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Liked Jack Mack and the Heart Attack Stray Cats Billy Joel Elvis Costello Joe Jackson Didn't like Flock of Seagulls Culture Club Cyndi Lauper George Michael Haircut 100 I'm actually kind of neutral on Huey Lewis and the News. Their original stuff wasn't great, but some of their covers were superb. Didn't they cover a Franky Lymon song?
    Posted by carnie

Carnie - are you telling me that you were not a Boy George fan?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Kind of surprised not to have seen either Pretenders or B-52s on either of anyone's lists yet.

Both get thumbs-up from me (although for different reasons).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Carnie - are you telling me that you were not a Boy George fan?
    Posted by jesseyeric
    I know, big surprise huh?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Black Sabbath with Ian Gillian

Now this was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwoT9_StEfY

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Black Sabbath with Ian Gillian Now this was cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwoT9_StEfY
    Posted by jesseyeric
    Another good one jessey. I always liked Black Sabbath and have long thought that Paranoid was the greatest metal album ever. I didn't know Ian Gillian had ever sung with them.. Was Ozzie in rehab at the time? Seriously though, do you think Black Sabbath invented heavy metal? I mean I don't remember ever hearing the term before them, just hard rock.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Thanks Lloyd!!! I almost missed your reply, she looks just as stunning as ever...thanks again!  
    Posted by newman09

I met her after a show in 1984. She touched my forearm and said, "Hi, my name is Susanna." I said something like "HAQZZZPQN!QNPT!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Another good one jessey. I always liked Black Sabbath and have long thought that Paranoid was the greatest metal album ever. I didn't know Ian Gillian had ever sung with them.. Was Ozzie in rehab at the time? Seriously though, do you think Black Sabbath invented heavy metal? I mean I don't remember ever hearing the term before them, just hard rock.
    Posted by carnie

Nope - I attach Heavy Metal to the loud RnR that was not derived from blues.

I give you:

Heltet Skelter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Nope - I attach Heavy Metal to the loud RnR that was not derived from blues. I give you: Heltet Skelter
    Posted by jesseyeric
    So the Beatles invented heavy metal? That's an original thought.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : So the Beatles invented heavy metal? That's an original thought.
    Posted by carnie

That's just my personal take on things. IMO, the Beatles influenced every genre since the day they hit the scene. They are still one of the major influences today; 40 years after they broke up.

As for Helter Skelter, we had a thread on this but the song is pure beautiful noise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Nope - I attach Heavy Metal to the loud RnR that was not derived from blues. I give you: Heltet Skelter
    Posted by jesseyeric

Your position on this agrees with a lot of the commentary I've read on metal.  It's a totally debatable point, but after giving this some thought I believe that some of Zeppelin should qualify as metal.  There aren't many heavier songs than When the Levee Breaks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Cars (may go back to the 1970s but they peaked in the 1980s and I always think of them as an '80s band).

Dire Straits (Ditto. First two albums came out in the 1970s, but hit strike/popularity and peaked in the 1980s).

Def Leppard
    Bon Jovi
    Whitesnake/Guns 'N' Roses -- tie.

Dislike
    Prince (I know some think he's a god, but I could never stand him.)
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna
    Culture Club
    Wham

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : I met her after a show in 1984. She touched my forearm and said, "Hi, my name is Susanna." I said something like "HAQZZZPQN!QNPT!"
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd,
    Totally HOWLING!!!
    I really enjoyed the Bangles, too.  To demonstrate how differently I saw them from the female POV, I viewed them primarily as a "band" and while I saw Hoffs as the hottest member of the band, I didn't single her out.   However, I do always like it when the hottest group member is a brunette. 
    Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Lloyd, Totally HOWLING!!! I really enjoyed the Bangles, too.  To demonstrate how differently I saw them from the female POV, I viewed them primarily as a "band" and while I saw Hoffs as the hottest member of the band, I didn't single her out.   However, I do always like it when the hottest group member is a brunette. 
    Posted by yogafriend

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved their music, too. Their version of "Hazy Shade of Winter" is one of the great covers. And they rocked that night at that little dump called 119 Main in Blacksburg, Va. But I have to admit, I didn't take my eyes off Susanna all night.

Agree with you on brunettes. Mrs. Dobler is one!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved their music, too. Their version of "Hazy Shade of Winter" is one of the great covers. And they rocked that night at that little dump called 119 Main in Blacksburg, Va. But I have to admit, I didn't take my eyes off Susanna all night. Agree with you on brunettes. Mrs. Dobler is one!
    Posted by LloydDobler

I'm a brunette guy myself and I also married one.  And I agree about Susanna Hoffs...she is not only hot but gorgeous, exquisite.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

But her eyes in the Eygptian video are completely bugged out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

But her eyes in the Eygptian video are completely bugged out.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I can get past that...I would guess you can too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have no problems with hot bug-eyed chicks.

Sections
Shortcuts