80's music, what did you like and not like?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?

Well, I generally hate the synth-heavy sound that seemed to end up in so many genres in the 80s.

It's to the point where while I absolutely love Stevie Ray Vaughn, I strongly prefer concert recordings to CDs.  The albums end up with a portion of that almost-synth sound - not actual synthesizers, but something about the guitar sounds different.

So, basically, I dislike everything about 80s other than when bands started 85/86, or a little later, climbed away from the synth-ish sound:

Stevie Ray Vaughn, live
    Guns n' Roses
    Soundgarden
    Alice in Chains
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Tool
    Pearl Jam (?? not sure when they were formed).

When I was younger, I liked the Stones from then, too:  Tattoo You (? either '79 or '80, I think; the one with "Start Me Up"); Dirty Work, Steel Wheels. 

Now I generally dislike those albums, except perhaps a few songs from Steel Wheels.  Turned back to the first decade or so with them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : So the Beatles invented heavy metal? That's an original thought.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Heh. 

Perhaps, but I swear I always thought to myself hearing Helter Skelter "this is the first inklings of heavy metal".

Think Black Sabbath definitely out-metaled them, but they came a few years after.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 80's music, what did you like and not like? : I don't know about G&R being underrated.  They made a gazillion dollars in a relatively short time, and VH1 gave Welcome to the Jungle the greatest hard rock song of all time honors (yea, I had a problem wit dat).  Plus, Slash is an icon. Thats not what I'd call underrated.  I might (might) even lean towards over.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I'd say early Gn'R was celebrated appropriately.  That was hard rock, and the original lineup played TIGHT, ie, see the recording of the Ritz concert '88...  when they were on, they were 500%.

I would say later Gn'R was, perhaps, a bit overrated.  If only because Axl more or less completely lost his live voice as of Use Your Illusion (CDs are fine, but on tour....YUCK). They lost their original lineup and everyone was getting too F'd up.

And, of course, Slash slowed down a bit and got more sloppy when he upped his booze intake to two or three litres of vodka every day.  (That is, if you take him at his word in his autobiography).

As an icon now, I certainly think Slash is overrated.  Switched his amps, changed the style.  I didn't like either Velvet Revolver album very much.

Plus, and I don't mean to be nasty, but I think the 8 minutes Slash spent dead in 1995 or 1996 (Crack Cocaine & Heroin overdose in a hotel, then no pulse for several minutes until ambulance shows up..as per his autobiography again) killed off some of the wrong brain cells.  Miracle he lived , but the playing never seemed quite the same.

He always used to be able to pick out these sequences of notes that almost don't make much sense on paper, but sound just right.  Not so much anymore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

According to John Lennon, "Ticket To Ride" was the Beatles first journey into heavy metal (it was a heavy sound that they were trying to achieve)... listening to it with that in mind, I think you can hear it