A day in April we seem to have missed...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A day in April we seem to have missed...

Two well-known rockers died on the same *date* (not the same year) in April. 

Uncanny, if you ask me.   It would have been cool to have posted this on the correct date, which was April 5th.

Can you identify the two rockers?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: A day in April we seemed to have missed...

I know it's not John Lennon.

I'll never forget that date.

I'm going to guess....I have no real idea , it's just a flat out shot in the dark...

Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: A day in April we seemed to have missed...

In Response to Re: A day in April we seemed to have missed...:
    [QUOTE]I know it's not John Lennon. I'll never forget that date. I'm going to guess....I have no real idea , it's just a flat out shot in the dark... Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Wow, excellent guess.   I think you could get this one, but this isn't right.  

The two are much closer in age / era -- another uncanny date fact (and hint): they were born the same year.   

Another hint: One is high profile in general -- the other is high profile (primarily) to music fans only.  

I'll keep this open a while, especially since it's quiet here today.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: A day in April we seem to have missed...

In Response to A day in April we seem to have missed...:
    [QUOTE]Two well-known rockers died on the same *date* (not the same year) in April.  Uncanny, if you ask me.   It would have been cool to have posted this on the correct date, which was April 5th. Can you identify the two rockers?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Layne Staley and Kurt Cobain?  I'm pretty sure both died in April. I was living in Vancouver in 2002, and remember when Staley died, because it was big news, and there were a lot of AIC tributes all over the city. I had no idea of the date though each died, so it's is a shot in the dark.  I know there is some strange connection.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: A day in April we seem to have missed...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to A day in April we seem to have missed... : Layne Staley and Kurt Cobain?  I'm pretty sure both died in April. I was living in Vancouver in 2002, and remember when Staley died, because it was big news, and there were a lot of AIC tributes all over the city. I had no idea of the date though each died, so it's is a shot in the dark.  I know there is some strange connection.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

You're good at this.  Nice going.  :)

Yes, there is a very uncanny connection.   Cobain and Staley were both born in 1967, and each of their lives ended on April 5th, exactly 8 years apart.   Staley died in 2002, just as you recall.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A day in April we seem to have missed... : You're good at this.  Nicegoing.  :) Yes, there is a very uncanny connection.   Kobain and Staley were both born in 1967, and each of their lives ended on April 5th, exactly 8 years apart.   Staley died in 2002, just as you recall.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Not always. You have stumped me many times :)  I was pretty sure about this one though. I had just read an article on Courtney Love and her daughter, and it mentioned when Kurt died.  ( Zillagod's answer helped as well)
    As influential and famous as Cobain was,  to me Staley was the bigger loss, and AIC the better Band.. The timing of their death's is very eerie though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: A day in April we seem to have missed... : Not always. You have stumped me many times :)   I was pretty sure about this one though. I had just read an article on Courtney Love and her daughter, and it mentioned when Kurt died.  ( Zillagod's answer helped as well) . As influential and famous as Cobain was,  to me was Staley was theb igger loss, and AIC the better Band.. The timing of their death's is very eerie though.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Actually, Zilla is a HUGE AIC fan, so I think he'll find this connection interesting.  Zilla's first guess was pretty darn good for a wild guess.   

Insofar as AIC being the better band, I'm sure there are many on the forum who'd agree with you (based on comments I've read for quite some time).   Anyhow, it's definitely a connection I now won't forget.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I just seemed to recall Cobain dying in the spring.

I don't make it a point to remember the exact date of anyone's death ( Lennon's is tough to forget)....I don't even retain the exact day my mother or father died.

I prefer to file away birthdates as opposed to deathdates...if I am going to remember dates at all.

I don't like to dwell on morbid stuff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I just seemed to recall Cobain dying in the spring. I don't make it a point to remember the exact date of anyone's death ( Lennon's is tough to forget)....I don't even retain the exact day my mother or father died. I prefer to file away birthdates as opposed to deathdates...if I am going to remember dates at all. I don't like to dwell on morbid stuff.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I found the connection, including their dates of death, "cosmic" rather than morbid.  When high profile people die, the anniversary of the date of death is often commemorated, even celebrated, by diehard fans.  Fans flock to gravesites of celebrities, when they are available to the general public.  I don't see anything morbid about that, but then again, I dig looking at gravestones, the more historic the better; hence, I may not be the best judge of what constitutes morbid or 'normal' regarding this practice / interest.  :)  Whatever.

And of course, there is one anniversary that seems to top them all (this news clip is from last year); there is no doubt that fans will flock to the gravesite right on cue this coming August as well:

Elvis Presley fans gather at Graceland for 34th anniversary of The King's death

Elvis may have left the building, but he hasn't left his fans' hearts.

The King passed away 34 years ago and thousands flocked to his Graceland grave in Memphis Tuesday to silently mourn the anniversary of his death.

"Elvis music keeps the family together," Paula Penna told The Associated Press after travelling from Brazil for her sixth vigil.

The 26-year-old wasn't even born when Elvis died on Aug. 16, 1977 but the impact of his music on her life is sweeping: she met her husband at an Elvis fan club and has four Elvis tattoos.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

As much as I consider myself a music fan and I absolutely love music I am not that sharp or well read. I have never heard of Staley..Im not an AC/DC fan in the least so I guess that is why I never heard of him.. I guess I don't have too wide a range or something.. I did really like Nirvana and Kurt's work.. From what I remember he died pretty close to the same time as the great John Candy (I think)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

People gather at Stonehenge on some crazy date every year. I think it's the spring equinox or something.

People gather at Elvis grave.

They gather at strange places.

I guess they think it means something to someone if they gather somewhere.

I "gather" my wits, and figure how much it costs to own a home and maintain it. Then factor in time at work , sleeping and doing various errands. Then I realize I should spend my spare time at home. Otherwise I am spending a hell of a lot of money for a storage container that I sleep in.

Sections
Shortcuts