A few random thoughts for the season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A few random thoughts for the season.

Not much happening here lately , so it's time for a nonsense thread.

...and since I am good at nonsense, I'll carry the ball.

If the Mayans didn't have a defective calendar, would the average guy on the street even know that there was a Mayan civilization?...or care?

How come there are 6 billion Christmas ( close to half of them covers of 'Santa Claus is Coming To Town') songs but no songs for Kwanzaa?

Does anybody outside Canada know what the heck 'Boxing Day' is all about?

Speaking of Canadians, remember when 99 out of every 100 NHL players were Canadians, and they were so glad to be playing hockey for a living ( and not working winters on the farm in Manitoba) and they would sign a contract with the Chicago Black Hawks for a couple of thousand dollars and a few cases of beer?...what the hell happened, how come all of a sudden these guys want to be paid like celebrities....don't they know 3/4s of Americans couldn't tell you who won the last 3 Stanley Cups and that half of America doesn't even know how many team are in the NHL or that the only 3 hockey players most Americans can name are Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe ...Sidney Who?...Alexander WHO?

Is Bon Jovi , really that guy's name or did he make it up?

When visibility is "unlimited" , how come we can't see Neptune or Uranus with the naked eye?

Why can't we see this fiscal cliff?...and hasn't there been enough time to build a bridge so we don't "fall off"...even one of those dangerous rope bridges , like the one from Indiana Jones movies.

Why do we have so many policemen driving around ticketing people for going 60 in a 40 mile an hour zone (is this really reducing the number of traffic accidents?), when we have gunmen going on rampages in malls, schools and movie theatres?...shouldn't we take these cops off the highways and put them where they can save people from being shot?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: A few random thoughts for the season.

Good stuff, Zilla. 

Here's one of my favorite absurd thoughts from Steven Wright:

'Did you ever think how deep the ocean would be...if it wasn't for all the sponges?'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's some nonsense,the Rolling Stones are doing a "Pay for view" concert tomorrow night and it's available on your TV for only $39.99.I like the Stones,but ....no thanks.

Also,I was going through some boxes of my old stuff and found my very first Rock and roll book I got.It was a 140 page, .75 cent paperback titled "ROCK '70".It was all about the new rock expected for 1970.It had all the big stars in it Hendrix,Stones,Beatles,etc. as well as some unknown or forgotten ones like Cecil Taylor,John Hammond,Pharoh Sanders,etc.

I found one of the writers apprasials very astute.Here's what he had to say:

"The Led Zeppelin recorded their first album after they had been together for 10 days.On stage,they're raunchy and exciting,but still sound like they've been together for 10 days"

On a more somber note,I want to extend the people of Newton,Ct my sympathies for those who had friends or family murdered today. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

:)    Very good.  

Let's see ...

No matter if we're smack dab at the turning point of football season, with BB and the Patriots hot hot hot, the Red Sox still make as many headlines in the off-season as they do when it's baseball season.   Baseball will always rule Boston.   Football will never be the number one sport, even when it's football season.  

No, hockey is not big here in Boston (these days), but neither is the opera, ballet, or theatre.   

As far as calendars go, I haven't bought one in years; I have no use for a paper calendar any longer.  The calendars I used to receive for gifts or buy myself were always, always ALWAYS with a cat or kitten theme.  I miss the cute pics, I really do.  

RE: end of year music lists, they are meaningless, are they not?  I am also weary and refuse to go through slides.   Why oh why don't they just produce a list without so much fanfare, in  order, on one page?    

I often wonder if Hfx has some sort of mild accent; had a boss from Toronto, and she had a decidedly quirky accent.   Then again, so do I.  I can turn my Boston accent off and on at will.  :)    But overall, when I hear my voice on a voice recorder, I cringe.  Doesn't everyone?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Random:

"Oh, I wish I was a headlight

on a northbound train.

I wish I was a headlight

on a northbound train.

I'd shine my light

through the cool Colorado rain."

- GD

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

yoga, I will say this about the popularity contest between baseball and football:

I don't know about Boston, as I don't live there, and I hate stinking big cities. But it is the closest sportstown to where I live and where I grew up, so I always pull for the hometown boys....so to speak.

Football has out done baseball as far as being the sport most people watch and live and die by, and gamble on, and participate in fantasy leagues, and Patriot fans love their Patriots....but I believe the majority of Patriots fans don't remember who was on the team before Tom Brady showed up.

Baseball may be #1 in Boston....because the Patriots are not specifically from Boston. Around here I would say it's a toss up between whether more fans actually watch Red Sox or Football or both....but I'm going to give the Pats the upper hand.

Red Sox fans are #1 when it comes to b*tching. And I am no exception....I can b*tch with the best of them. Football fans have become extremely dedicated to their routine, even a threat to cancel an entire season doesn't dampen their spirit. I used to love hockey...I used to live and breathe hockey. I could tell you most any NHL team's roster from the 70s and 80s. I hate what has happened to this glorious game. How can anyone ever support this league again?

mojo....you think this review of Led Zep is bad, read reviews of Uriah Heep from their early days. And the band lasted a lot longer than Led Zep, most critics had them dead and gone after their first LP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Does anyone live on a dead end one way street?

Why are they called hemmroids and not asteroids?

Is there really such a thing as "army intelligence"?

What happens if you use handsoap on other parts of your body? Do those other parts get clean too or is it just limited to your hands?

If a "sham" is something you put on a pillow and "p00" is waste - why is it called shampoo?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Jon BonJovi is really Jon Francis Bongiovi Jr..................his given name

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anyone live on a dead end one way street?

Why are they called hemmroids and not asteroids?

Is there really such a thing as "army intelligence"?

What happens if you use handsoap on other parts of your body? Do those other parts get clean too or is it just limited to your hands?

If a "sham" is something you put on a pillow and "p00" is waste - why is it called shampoo?

[/QUOTE]

Funny, I have thought of that as well while standing in the soap asile at CVS.

Aprapos of nothing:

I bought some wireless headphones last Christmas that were supposed to let you listen to the TV from up to 100 feet, through walls, etc. They had a picture of a guy on the box listening to them and smiling while he mowed his lawn. I figured for $19.99 what could be so bad?

When I got home and hooked them up I found that they only worked from about three feet, and only if I lean to the left, and bend down about two inches. I swear the left headphone is louder than the right and no matter how close I get to the TV it never seems to change. My girlfriend says I'm nuts, and that I have become totally obssesed with them, and they both sound equal, but I'm not buying it.

I think I'll try those portable CD racks this year, it has a pretty girl smiling on the box, and for $19.99 it say's you can stack up to a hundred CD's easily..

--           ----           -------          --------           --------            ----------

Why all the dislike for Springsteen and U2? When all is said and done, both will leave a musical legacy and song catalog that will stand the test of time.

Crowded House is an amazing band, just listened to Saturday Sun.

Why do charities send you thousands of stickers with your name on them, when you only need one.

Hockey, don't miss it  Owners and players make it hard to. Are they really this dumb? Fool me once, ok, fool me twice, ok, fool me three times, shame on you, fool me four times, shame on me!  

NE 24 San Fran 21 

Zilla, great idea for a thread  

Thoughts and prayers to all of the families in CT in the wake of Yesterday's horrific and senseless act of violence. C'mon folks, we are better than this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anybody outside Canada know what the heck 'Boxing Day' is all about?

[/QUOTE]

Zilla, my friend, Boxing Day originated in Jolly Olde England, and is still celebrated by many countries who are members of the British Commonwealth. Canada is still a member of the Commonwealth.  The Queen is still our ruler, officially.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I often wonder if Hfx has some sort of mild accent; had a boss from Toronto, and she had a decidedly quirky accent.   Then again, so do I.  I can turn my Boston accent off and on at will.  :)    But overall, when I hear my voice on a voice recorder, I cringe.  Doesn't everyone?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is a such a thing as a Halifax accent.  We love the Boston accent though.  Fenway is such a fun ballpahk. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here's one of my personal philosophical riddles: is going downhill a good thing or a bad thing?

Sometimes it seems to be a good thing.  Facing an 'uphill battle' is tough, right?  So 'it's all downhill after that' is when things get easy, right?

But when we say 'things have really gone downhill there', that's a bad thing, right?

Maybe the simplest thing is to stick with 'sideways'.  We know that 'the whole thing went sideways' is definitely bad.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Why does Frankie Valle say that he wants  to"Walk like a man,talk like a man",then he sings it like a girl?

What do these 3 phrases have in common?

1. Dammit,I'm mad

2. Yawn..Madonna fan?No damn way

3. A Toyota's a Toyota

Horse sense is a good judgement which keeps horses from betting on people

Why do psychics have to ask you your name?

Always remember,you're unique,just like everyone else

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay, HFnut....so Boxing Day is known outside of Canada.

What do they do?...box stuff up for storage, mailing?

Or is it "boxing" as in hitting each other with gloves?

Or could it be the other type of "boxing"....when you pour the contents of three buckets of paint into a larger container to be sure the color stays consistant?

Or do they "box" people in so they can't get out of a parking space?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It has something to do with boxing up of presents for the needy, I think.

The stores put on huge Boxing Day sales which are the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday sales.  But the odd thing is that most stores aren't open on Boxing Day because it's a holiday.  A lot of stores extend it to Boxing Week sales.

And none of us really know what it means either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why does Frankie Valle say that he wants  to"Walk like a man,talk like a man",then he sings it like a girl?

What do these 3 phrases have in common?

1. Dammit,I'm mad

2. Yawn..Madonna fan?No damn way

3. A Toyota's a Toyota

Horse sense is a good judgement which keeps horses from betting on people

Why do psychics have to ask you your name?

Always remember,you're unique,just like everyone else

[/QUOTE]

The three phrases each read the same in both directions. I think that's referred to as a palindrome.

Anyway, why is it that we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Boxing Day sounds kind of like a "reverse Black Friday"...which  has become more about selfishness.

This is funny , because I have worked in retail my whole adult life and I always thought "Black Friday" was black because they forced so many retail employees to work on a day when most of the world has the day off. Making for a "black" day if you had to go to work.

Turns out "Black Friday" got it's name because after the big sales on the day after Thanksgiving, many of the BIG retailers actually are "in the black" after running 11 1/2 months of the year in the red. I doubt this is true anymore, as the large retailers work on such a small margin for these sales events , there is no way they can get out of the red with events like these.

It's good to know that "Boxing Day", is not a religious holiday or that it has no connection to a war.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A palindrome.

Not to be confused with a "Palin drone"...the continous noise coming from Sarah Palin's mouth....usually about how Obama is to blame for everything that is bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This was the first palindrome I learned:

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I won't be back here until after the Doomsday deadline.

If the Mayan calendar is a sign of something catastrophic , then this is likely the last time you will all hear from me.

I am going to make it special.

If you are what you eat, and you eat Chinese food all the time, do you become Chinese?

If "you can't take it with you", why don't they just dig a hole and throw you in naked?...we do this with our pets.

If sound comes out of your speakers in waves, why is it you can "surf the web" but you don't "surf your CD player?"

If there is no color when you turn out the lights, how does your red shirt know that it should still be red when you turn the light back on?

30 some years later my 4th grade teacher is still wrong about the metric system, unless my gas station is selling me litres of gas and calling them gallons. But I am quite sure I am still buying a 1/2 gallon of milk, because it says so on the label....so it looks like I'll be long dead before we change over.

Can someone please tell me if they've ever heard a Kwanzaa song?...I mean African holiday....should be music , bet you it's better than Christmas music, which mostly stinks.

I'll see you all on the other side.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We have had the metric system in effect in Canada as long as I can remember.  But we all still use the term 'mileage' instead of the incredibly awkward 'kilometreage'.  And people still ask for a pound of steak at the grocery store.  And I'm still a little under six feet tall, not 1.8 metres tall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It has something to do with boxing up of presents for the needy, I think.

The stores put on huge Boxing Day sales which are the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday sales.  But the odd thing is that most stores aren't open on Boxing Day because it's a holiday.  A lot of stores extend it to Boxing Week sales.

And none of us really know what it means either.

[/QUOTE]

Elvis Costello puns on Boxing Day in "TKO (Boxing Day)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SkpK1GSEws