A Great Movie!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

A Great Movie!

First, I never base my decision to see or not see a movie based on a review, so if you are like me - take what you will from my comments. 

The last great western film I had seen was "Unforgiven" with Clint Eastwood - great cast, story and acting. Then I went to see "Django Unchained" - what a GREAT movie - well worth $9.00 and about 3hrs of my time.  The length of the movie seems "short" - the story moves very quickly while paying attention to detail. I grew up watching Sam Peckinpah movies and Sergio Leoni spaghetti westerns - obviously Tarrantino did too!  There are a lot of unexpected laughs too! Sooooo, if you like westerns, a good story and good acting I strongly suggest you see "Django Unchained" well worth the price of admission and about 3hrs of your time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: A Great Movie!

Roger,I couldn't agree with you more.I've seen it 3 times already and I'm looking for an excuse to go again.I go to a lot of movies and have seen some really good ones during the past year,but this was one of the my favorites.I liked it better than "Avengers","Dark Knight rises","Argo","The life of Pi","Looper" and the rest I've seen. 

It was a typical Tartintino movie with the violence,blood,action and brutality,But also some very well timed humor inserted as well.I happen to be a fan of his movies like "Kill Bill"and "Pulp Fiction" and this is his best IMO.Christoh Waltz should get an award for best supporting actor for his role.Samuel Jackson played his role to perfection as well.He was a character who,while being a source of humor,was also despicable and easily hated.My favorite scene(without going into detail) was the lynch mob coming over the hill.I liked the use of Jim Croce's "I got a name" and Richie Haven's "Freedom" in the movie too.

I'd highly recomend Django Unchained as a movie to see.But go in knowing that it ISN"T for everyone.The brutality,using the N-word well over 100 times,blood and gore is too much for some people.In fact,1 of the shows I went to ,some parents brought in a 10 year old which,I think was very inappropriate.

I hope you stayed until after the credits rolled,because there was a little bit of extra footage shown,about 5 seconds worth.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Gotta jump in on the "N" word usage.  As I was channel surfing I came across the mini series "ROOTS" originally an ABC mini series back in the dark ages of the mid-seventies. So, I watched Ed Asner, the guy who played Pa Walton, Robert Ried - yah, the dad from the Brady Bunch, Lorne Greene and Louis Gossett Jr. - ALL - utter the "N" word! and this also aired on network TV!!!!! In my humble opinion the "N" word was used, as was "pickaninnie", for historical accuracy versus shock value. If any african american (insert political correct term here) is/was offended then they need to protest about rap music before going after this movie in protest...

Agreed on Chris Waltz - great in Inglourious Bass  Tards too!

Tom Wopat from "The Dukes of Hazzard" was a funny cameo!

The gang you mentioned was so funny the whole cinema couldn't stop laughing! Nice bit of casting with Don Johnson too!

This is definetly a DVD to ad to my collection!

***** Side Note: My 13yo son wanted to see it, No way! And Jim Croce popped up on my iPod one day with the kids in the back seat of my car. It's since been requested on more than one occassion!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Roger ,as far as the N-word goes,I agree with you there too.That's what black people were called then.There's also some people of different races who are still offended by the word though.That was my reason for bringing it up. 

In fact,Spike Lee (big surprise) is boycotting the movie because of the excessive use of the N-word,despite the fact he hasn't seen it yet.He thinks it is disrespectful to his ancestors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I loved the movie as well. Another home run from Tarrantino.. Other than the Kill Bills I have loved his stuff

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roger ,as far as the N-word goes,I agree with you there too.That's what black people were called then.There's also some people of different races who are still offended by the word though.That was my reason for bringing it up. 

In fact,Spike Lee (big surprise) is boycotting the movie because of the excessive use of the N-word,despite the fact he hasn't seen it yet.He thinks it is disrespectful to his ancestors.

[/QUOTE]

Spike Lee is a nozzle. He's jealous that he's overrated and Tarantino is still doing good work.

[/QUOTE]

I'd say they're both overrated, but for different reasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spike Lee is a nozzle. He's jealous that he's overrated and Tarantino is still doing good work.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they both have done some good work, but are at times victims of their own stylistic indulgences. I'd say that Spike Lee has kind of faded from film viewers conciousnesses enough that he is not really overrated at all, but almost forgotten. Tarantino, usually generates a lot of hype over his latest release because there is usually some controversial content. And his films are usually more garish and flashy as well. Spike Lee generated a lot of controversy early in his career, but I don't hear as much about him lately.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they both have done some good work, but are at times victims of their own stylistic indulgences. I'd say that Spike Lee has kind of faded from film viewers conciousnesses enough that he is not really overrated at all, but almost forgotten. Tarantino, usually generates a lot of hype over his latest release because there is usually some controversial content. And his films are usually more garish and flashy as well. Spike Lee generated a lot of controversy early in his career, but I don't hear as much about him lately.

[/QUOTE]

It's very tough to compare the two filmmakers - stylistically, aesthetically, influence, accolades, or otherwise, but...

...Spike has a more significant cultural footprint even while often putting said foot in his mouth.  (example: the trayvon martin shooting)

I think both would like their movies to do the talking for them (i.e. spike's excellent katrina documentaries) but simply can't help themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they both have done some good work, but are at times victims of their own stylistic indulgences.

[/QUOTE]

'Stylistic indulgences' is a good term that nails down my problems with Tarantino and also with the Coen Brothers. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction Alone make tarantino far from overrated.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction Alone make tarantino far from overrated.

[/QUOTE]

Within that genre, I would agree.  And his influence on later filmmakers is without question.

But if those two films were his creative peak, then one might wonder what all the hype is about  Some would argue that he lacks the range or ability to move beyond some of his stylistic mannerisms.  Don't get me wrong...I'm a big fan.  I'm just more interested in the medium than in the hollywood PR machine that seems to fan his tail incessantly.  (fwiw, I haven't seen django yet...)

Which directors would be overrated, IYO...?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Regardless of the fact that Spike Lee hates Tarantino (all you have to do is count 10 backwards after a release, and you'll hear Spike Lee trashing), and I don't care how long a list of films and film achievements he has, for whatever reason, the expression, "A legend in his own mind" and the name Spike Lee go hand in hand, IMHO.

As for Tarantino, and linking his work to music, since this is the music forum afterall, his films are the  musical equivalent to pop music: made purely for entertainment, not to be taken seriously, and often guilty pleasures.   Just my opinion.  Nothing against the guy, but I don't think his films are worth the debates they cause, you can take him or leave him, but he doesn't deconstruct his subject matter for intellectual consumption; he's there to entertain.   

From what I read, the "N" word is featured so heavily in the film, it should be billed as a co-star.  I thought that was hilarious, actually.  :0    It's good to be prepared; it would not offend me, especially if it's used in an over the top way, but for those that would find it offensive, they are forewarned.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Found what I needed in my search history.  All's well.   Therefore, question deleted.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of the fact that Spike Lee hates Tarantino (all you have to do is count 10 backwards after a release, and you'll hear Spike Lee trashing), and I don't care how long a list of films and film achievements he has, for whatever reason, the expression, "A legend in his own mind" and the name Spike Lee go hand in hand, IMHO.  [/QUOTE]

I have to disagree, yoga.  

On social/cultural matters, yes, Spike has a (spiky?) tendency to pre-ordain...a flaw that probably, regretfully turns many off from his films.  But I don't think his own estimation of himself as a filmmaker is any more grandly deluded than Tarantino's or any other "auteur".  To me, most indications are of a mild professional rivalry and nothing more (and maybe a bit of an east coast-west coast thing).

Despite that, it's partly on those matters in which his influence has been most relevant and much for the better.

But again, it's hard to compare such disputing notions of romanticism vs. realism....it's a bit  like comparing Downton Abbey to a Frontline expose.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Regardless of the fact that Spike Lee hates Tarantino (all you have to do is count 10 backwards after a release, and you'll hear Spike Lee trashing), and I don't care how long a list of films and film achievements he has, for whatever reason, the expression, "A legend in his own mind" and the name Spike Lee go hand in hand, IMHO.  

On social/cultural matters, yes, Spike has a (spiky?) tendency to pre-ordain...a flaw that probably, regretfully turns many off from his films.  But I don't think his own estimation of himself as a filmmaker is any more grandly deluded than Tarantino's or any other "auteur".  To me, most indications are of a mild professional rivalry and nothing more (and maybe a bit of an east coast-west coast thing).

Despite that, it's partly on those matters in which his influence has been most relevant and much for the better.

But again, it's hard to compare such disputing notions of romanticism vs. realism....it's a bit  like comparing Downton Abbey to a Frontline expose. [/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll certainly buy that Spike Lee's self-aggrandizing tendencies are no worse or greater than (m)any others in a profession that's loaded with people of the same ilk.   And of course, Tarantino is positively giddy with self-love (you're right), but that's the thing -- he also has a sense of humor, and you know, maybe Spike Lee needs to get one.   Perhaps he has one, and I don't get it,  and if that's the case, then my bad.   Spike Lee's place in film-making history is secure, regardless.  

And it is another case of apples mixed in with oranges, true.  But we, as consumers, get our impressions from *somewhere*, and after a time, they are very difficult to change.   At least I have something to think about now, Matty.  If Spike Lee wants to be seen as a more magnanimous professional, however, then he has to "be the change", then bring it to the rest of us.  Ideally.  

As for Downton Abbey ... meh.  If it weren't for Maggie Smith, I wouldn't even bother.   I've been riveted to "Frontline", on the other hand, many times.   :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

$9 a movie. I haven't seen those prices in years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But again, it's hard to compare such disputing notions of romanticism vs. realism....it's a bit  like comparing Downton Abbey to a Frontline expose. [/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll certainly buy that Spike Lee's self-aggrandizing tendencies are no worse or greater than (m)any others in a profession that's loaded with people of the same ilk.   And of course, Tarantino is positively giddy with self-love (you're right), but that's the thing -- he also has a sense of humor, and you know, maybe Spike Lee needs to get one.   Perhaps he has one, and I don't get it,  and if that's the case, then my bad.   Spike Lee's place in film-making history is secure, regardless.  

And it is another case of apples mixed in with oranges, true.  But we, as consumers, get our impressions from *somewhere*, and after a time, they are very difficult to change.   At least I have something to think about now, Matty.  If Spike Lee wants to be seen as a more magnanimous professional, however, then he has to "be the change", then bring it to the rest of us.  Ideally.  

As for Downton Abbey ... meh.  If it weren't for Maggie Smith, I wouldn't even bother.   I've been riveted to "Frontline", on the other hand, many times.   :)

[/QUOTE]

Again, don't get me wrong.  I'm a fan of both and of movies in general.  I think your music analogy goes a long way toward explaining the differences.  And yes, brevity and goofiness is almost always more endearing than didacticism.

My PBS metaphor is glib enough without pointing out Tarantino's video store geek vs. Lee's serious film school backgrounds to show how different they are.

And yet, I would just again mention Spike's excellent documentaries, esp. Four Little Girls, When The Levees Broke and its follow-up God Willin' And The Creek Don't Rise.  Despite himself, he invokes real drama from real situations.

Could Tarantino pull off such heavy film verite so successfully?  Perhaps, but I doubt he's even interested.  Maybe he just knows his limitations.  And that's as fine with me as Spike's attempts to broaden his range.

And ironically or not, Spike Lee's next film is a remake of the violent Korean revenge fantasy Oldboy.  Who knows?  Maybe Q will do a cameo.  ;)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think some of the Coen Brothers' work is also very overrated.  No Country for Old Men, in particular.  The denouement of that movie irritated the hell out of me.  At a certain point in that movie everything shifts from a tense, linear drama into confusion, pointlessness and philosophical meanderings.  Some of the Coen Brothers stuff gives me the feeling that they feel superior to their audience and that they can do what they want and expect the audience to like it and accept it in the name of their artistic brilliance.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think some of the Coen Brothers' work is also very overrated.  No Country for Old Men, in particular.  The denouement of that movie irritated the hell out of me.  At a certain point in that movie everything shifts from a tense, linear drama into confusion, pointlessness and philosophical meanderings.  Some of the Coen Brothers stuff gives me the feeling that they feel superior to their audience and that they can do what they want and expect the audience to like it and accept it in the name of their artistic brilliance.   

[/QUOTE]

Most of their movies work on a symbolic level from beginning to end. The killer in the movie is more symbolic than realistic. I can fully understand your reaction, but mine was different. The overall effect for me was that of sadness on a very deep level. Just as in life, our emotional investment in something does not always pay off and we can be left feeling a deep emptiness.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$9 a movie. I haven't seen those prices in years.

[/QUOTE]

11am Bargain Showing! ;)

Sections
Shortcuts