A Mother's Day Mix *

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A Mother's Day Mix *

*  Note these songs have nothing to do with mothers or mother's day; it just happens to be a CD mix (in approximate order) that I made for a road trip undertaken by my wife and I this weekend.  A bit 90s-centric perhaps, but decent driving songs and good intros if you don't know the band. 

Enjoy.

Treat Her Right - I Think She Likes Me
    Heartless Basta*ds - Parted Ways
    Concrete Blonde - Mexican Moon
    New Multitudes - Talking Empty Bed Blues
    Lush - De-Luxe
    Supergrass - Alright
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Guster - Rocketship
    The Posies - Dream All Day
    Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar
    Pete Yorn - Life On A Chain
    Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow Gun
    Brian Jonestown Massacre - Anemone
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!
    Flaming Lips - Turn It On

Comments? Substitutions? Ephemera?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: A Mother's Day Mix *

Nice! De-Luxe, or anything by LUSH is on virtually every mix tape I own. Maybe a little Morchebba (Slow Down), for a more ambient effect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great band, indeed...

...I'm biased but impressed at how well some of the so-called 'shoegazer' music has held up over the years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

n Response to Re: A Mother's Day Mix *:
    Great band, indeed... ...I'm biased but impressed at how well some of the so-called 'shoegazer' music has held up over the years.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Shoegazer, It's so true(ha). I remember seeing LUSH a few times, and they just stood there, but looked great doing it!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I never could understand how a genre was created based on a bands lack of stage presence.

As for the Mother's Day Mix, admittedly this song does not really fit into Matty's Mix, but it was Mother's Day, so what the h*ll.

I would like to add a song by Queen

Loser In The End

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDEzA0p66I

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: A Mother's Day Mix *:
    I never could understand how a genre was created based on a bands lack of stage presence. As for the Mother's Day Mix, admittedly this song does not really fit into Matty's Mix, but it was Mother's Day, so what the h*ll. I would like to add a song by Queen Loser In The End http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMDEzA0p66I
    Posted by jesseyeric

I was thinking this yesterday, too.   If "shoe gazing" was a backlash to a previous era of band antics on stage (was it?), it was a stretch to create a music genre named after it.   Maybe fodder for another thread ... Either way, lots of shoegazer music has proven to be timeless (at least to the fans that are into it).  

How about these additional songs:

"Head On" - The Jesus and Mary Chain  (or any JAMC song)
    "Hymn of the Big Wheel"  -- Massive Attack  (pretty good segue from "In the Year 2525")   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: A Mother's Day Mix *:
    In Response to Re: A Mother's Day Mix * : I was thinking this yesterday, too.   If "shoe gazing" was a backlash to a previous era of band antics on stage (was it?), it was a stretch to create a music genre named after it.   Maybe fodder for another thread ... Either way, lots of shoegazer music has proven to be timeless (at least to the fans that are into it).   How about these additional songs: "Head On" - The Jesus and Mary Chain  (or any JAMC song) "Hymn of the Big Wheel"  -- Massive Attack  (pretty good segue from "In the Year 2525")   
    Posted by yogafriend

I'm not sure how backlash-y or even conscious it was...maybe just a common aesthetic indifference, e.g. pre-grunge, and which then became more of a trope.

I can think of a few bands whose live act is...shall we say stoic.  Even back to the Velvets, then Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine, et al.

But again I'm biased...I like a lot of this kind of controlled chaos in music...always on the edge of spinning out.  But when it works, it's positively sublime.

Ride and Catherine Wheel are other, slightly more obscure personal faves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I am pretty sure that I don't know jack about 90's music. It's weird that I seemed to have tuned out an entire decade. Showing my age, I guess.

Sections
Shortcuts