A Universal Language

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

A Universal Language

So Zilla's rant thread has gotten me thinking a little about the nature of music. Is music a business designed to herd us sheep into socially acceptable belief patterns where everyone is in competition to see who gets the flashiest toys? Or is it something else? Or is it something more? Is it an art form or is it a vehicle for a few people to get monstrously rich? It's an interesting question to my mind. If you think about it people have been making some kind of music since they could rightly be called people. So the idea of music predates any of the music we usually talk about here. In fact it could be a genetic characteristic of the human race.
    The other thing that's philosophocially interesting to me about music is that it'a a universal language, at least on earth. If you go anywhere in the world and hand a musician a sheet of music they will be able to read it. The only language you can say that about is mathematics. I think that is important somehow. I'm not sure what the meaning might be, but I'm sure it's there. I hope I'm not being pretentious, and I guess I'll know that I am if no one responds to this thread. But I think there's something about music that transcends passing fads, and I think it's something that satisfies some kind of fundamental need for human beings. I also think that the need it satisfies is so important that everyone on earth who wants to communicate using music has learned to speak the same language.
    So what do you think am I an addle brained acid casualty or am I onto something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: A Universal Language

I hear ya bro. Music for me is a magical thing that really can't be explained. It transports me temporarily from the everyday worries and pains and takes me to a pleasurable place in my mind and body. To me, it has a drug-like effect with no bad side effects. It rejuvenates and energizes. There is definitely something in our DNA that creates the wonderful effect that music has on us. And the real beauty of it is, there is enough variety to satisfy every taste. I'll bet it's very rare to find someone whose life has not been touched by music in some way. For me, it's an absolute necessity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

carnie , I am glad that my thread inspired you to post.

Does anyone know a person who doesn't like any type of music?

I once saw it written that "the devil cannot stand music and cannot stay where music is."

There is nothing "evil" about any form of music. Especially Heavy Metal, which has been the style of music that has taken the most heat as being "evil."

If Heavy Metal was evil, I would be doing time in Sing Sing. I would be on the FBI 10 most wanted list. John Walsh would be showing you my picture on Friday nights. Not many people have listened to Sabbath, Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, the Scorpions , Rainbow , etc. as often as I did back inth 70's and 80's.

But, and you'll have to take my word on this, I'm a quiet , reserved guy who enjoys nothing better than to be left alone with a book on a Sunday morning ( or any other time, but work comes first..you know). I wish all of you could see the expressions on peoples faces when they find out I like Punk and Heavy Metal. I prefer my hair short, I have no piercings or tattoos, I have never tinted my hair orange or green, I hate motorcycles.

So, if Heavy Metal was an evil influence , I'd be the worst type of person...I'm not ( I have a mischievous streak, but I'm a reasonably likeable guy.

People with ideas like mine "communicate" to others like me by using Rock music. It is, in fact, a "language." My parents did not understand this language, as I do not understand "Rap."

I do , however, find distasteful qualities to the subject matter in some Rap songs. Is it "speaking" to a generation?...yes, I think so. Is it conveying a healthy and meaningful message?....probably not. But, my parents never knew what the songs of Black Sabbath were about. I do not know what the songs of 50 Cent are about ( but the title is a strong indication). I assume I wouldn't like it....this "language" doesn't speak to a quiet, reserved , educated middle age man like myself... Heavy Metal didn't speak to people like my parents and their age group.

Perhaps music is a universal language, but the different genres and styles are like real language. Chinese people speak Chinese, Russian people speak Russian... I speak English....I can understand and speak a little Portuguese . I speak and understand Classic Rock, Blues,Alternative, Folk, Punk , Heavy Metal and a little Classical.....I do not speak Rap, Disco or Boy Band....nor do I want to learn.

Let's say, music is a univeral language , but we don't all speak the same dialect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: A Universal Language:
    I wish all of you could see the expressions on peoples faces when they find out I like Punk and Heavy Metal. I prefer my hair short, I have no piercings or tattoos, I have never tinted my hair orange or green, I hate motorcycles.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    That's actually pretty interesting, since I have tattoos, a pierced ear and love motorcycles. And while I like metal, you could never describe me as a metal head, I love country too much for that. Way off topic I know. I guess we should file it in the not judging a book by its cover category. BTW what did you think of my last post on your rant?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

(An aside. Zilla, your post is also exactly why I react with contempt when people suggest that violent video games are harmful for children. I've been playing violent electronic games since they were created, and the only time I was ever landed in trouble was when I unwisely smoked a joint in the wrong place. Even now, as an adult and working professional, I sometimes come home and fire up "Quake 4". It's a first person shooter, and you play against other people. Running around, hiding, picking up weapons, and blowing everyone else to bits. How have I been harmed, or who have I harmed, as a result? Not at all and no one).
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

I like the SOCOM Navy Seals games. In fact, I was addicted to them at one time.

I have never shot a real gun in my life.

The upside to virtual reality is that you can channel your aggressions and relieve a great deal of stress. Video games do this for me. I often wonder though, if people who play racing games like Grand Turismo cannot differentiate from the game and driving the real car on the real roads. At least some of the drivers I see seem to think they can just hit "reset" and start over if they crash the real car.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: A Universal Language : That's actually pretty interesting, since I have tattoos, a pierced ear and love motorcycles. And while I like metal, you could never describe me as a metal head, I love country too much for that. Way off topic I know. I guess we should file it in the not judging a book by its cover category. BTW what did you think of my last post on your rant?
    Posted by carnie

I actually hadn't checked back there yet...I'll let you know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

(An aside. Zilla, your post is also exactly why I react with contempt when people suggest that violent video games are harmful for children. I've been playing violent electronic games since they were created, and the only time I was ever landed in trouble was when I unwisely smoked a joint in the wrong place. Even now, as an adult and working professional, I sometimes come home and fire up "Quake 4". It's a first person shooter, and you play against other people. Running around, hiding, picking up weapons, and blowing everyone else to bits. How have I been harmed, or who have I harmed, as a result? Not at all and no one).

I didn't know they had released a Quake 4. How is it?

As for this music thing - putting aside all the cliches, the truth is that I have not met one person in my life who has ever said they can live without music. I have talked to people who have said they can live without movies, TV, books, money, sex, sports, etc. But never once have I heard this about music.

Take that for whatever it is worth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Interesting.

I just read about the fact that making music - as a human activity - so far only dates back about 35,000 years...a very short time in evolutionary terms.  (Even then, music still needed someone else to listen to it.)

Some people don't like music - which may or may not be different than people who think music can be a corrupting influence or even an impediment to effective communication.

Zilla already poked my philosophy brain today, so I better stop now before the guywire on my balloon gets too tight....  :P

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: A Universal Language : Curious. Which publication? (Though I suspect it is forever impossible to say how far it truly dates back, as with most/all ancient history. For example, one could drum with sticks against other sticks/tree stumps/etc, and if any of the supplies were petrified or otherwise preserved, I suspect the sticks' use would likely remain obscure).

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/04/did-humans-invent-music/255945/?google_editors_picks=true

and this is some of the neuroscience data/research behind it:

http://www.creativitypost.com/science/what_does_it_mean_to_be_musical

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to A Universal Language:
    So Zilla's rant thread has gotten me thinking a little about the nature of music. Is music a business designed to herd us sheep into socially acceptable belief patterns where everyone is in competition to see who gets the flashiest toys? Or is it something else? Or is it something more? Is it an art form or is it a vehicle for a few people to get monstrously rich? It's an interesting question to my mind. If you think about it people have been making some kind of music since they could rightly be called people. So the idea of music predates any of the music we usually talk about here. In fact it could be a genetic characteristic of the human race. The other thing that's philosophocially interesting to me about music is that it'a a universal language, at least on earth. If you go anywhere in the world and hand a musician a sheet of music they will be able to read it. The only language you can say that about is mathematics. I think that is important somehow. I'm not sure what the meaning might be, but I'm sure it's there. I hope I'm not being pretentious, and I guess I'll know that I am if no one responds to this thread. But I think there's something about music that transcends passing fads, and I think it's something that satisfies some kind of fundamental need for human beings. I also think that the need it satisfies is so important that everyone on earth who wants to communicate using music has learned to speak the same language. So what do you think am I an addle brained acid casualty or am I onto something?
    Posted by carnie

Some real food for thought Carnie. Music is the ultimate icebreaker. It appeals regardless of one's status, language or origin. It opens doors and connects people. It can generate so many emotions. A song, or a piece of music will stir up memories of people, and places often long forgotten.

Sections
Shortcuts