Acapella is sometimes underappreciated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Acapella is sometimes underappreciated

I don't expect too much from this thread, but I think this is worth watching...I've often thought that the voice was the hardest instrument to master, and requires the most maintenance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyqpjkCwEI4

there are a few others out there that might compare...but posting Bobby McFerrin is cheating Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated

I've always been a big fan of the nylons
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwK7J4dX1nA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I love acapella -- to the point of almost being geeky about it!    I listen to (not as often as in the past) the All A Capella show on WERS and was very hooked on it for quite a while.   The main focus for me are college acapella groups, some of which have long-standing traditions  (think Whiffenpoofs of Yale, or Beelzebubs of Tufts).

I'll even admit to watching the first acapella competition that aired on network tv last year (the Beelzebubs took second place), and I read recently they are airing a second competition very soon.  The judges were Ben Folds (he produced an album of university acapella groups singing versions of his songs a couple of years ago, I think), Shawn Stockman and Nicole Scherzinger, each of whom were awesome.     There were some guest slots, and Bobby McFerrin performed and directed a group number, and it was outstanding.   I had no idea he was so amazing.  

I would put up a link, but everything I found didn't represent the acapella that I really like, nor did it represent how good it can be ... it can really sound campy or over the top kitschy or hokey, if you know what I mean (sometimes deliberately, depending on the interpretation)!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Acapella singing is absolutely beautiful. And it certainly has influenced music of all kinds. IMO, Basic three part vocal harmonies can be attributed to musicians understanding this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Here you go. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zLOnDnFpw&feature=related

Carnie and SDM: I enjoyed your links.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Check out The Persuasions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn19IC1oPko

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I'd heard of the Nylons years ago; never knew they were an Acapella band. The Voices in Your Head are phenomenal. The Persuasions show the Doo-Wop roots and kick it. 

Acapella seems best as a live medium. Lots of music, maybe even most, has more impact when you see it performed live, but for me, nothing does it like seeing an Acapella performance in a venue with great acoustics and a respectful crowd. It truly is a show that needs to be seen as well as heard. If it wasn't for seeing Bobby McFerrin back in the 80's with his Voicestra live, I would probably have missed it completely.

Here is a good one from Beelzebubs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnb-0C5uyL8&feature=related

And while Acapella is typically a group, checkout this solo performance from one of my favorite singers of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FjkqtK67o

this is effectively what you'd hear in the studio isolating the vocal track with no bleedthrough. I wonder how many of todays vocal idols could pull off something like this...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I did very much enjoy the tv competition last year that featured a number of great a cappella renditions of well-known songs.  I'd also like to consider, though, music that is written with the specific intention of a cappella performance.  Obviously Bobby McFerrin is well known in that regard, and "classical" music has featured a cappella compositions for centuries.  But what about the rock genre?  Perhaps not songs in entirety, but 3 with well-known or substantial a cappella sections spring to mind: Kansas/Carry on Wayward Son, Jethro Tull/Songs from the Wood, Elton John/Indian Sunset.  I'm sure there are other even better examples that escape me at the moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Phish usually throws in an Acapella (barbershop style)at every show.  Most popular ones are:  Sweet Adeline, Hello My Baby, and sometime even the Star Spangled Banner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Great links everyone. Thank you so much. BTW this was always my favorite nylons tune. Never a hit but....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5IChq5xCus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bumping this thread to remind people (who care) that the acapella competition on NBC, "The Sing Off" is well under way in case you want to catch it.

The competition started with 12 groups, and there are now either 4 or 5 groups left in the competition.   I have not seen every episode myself, but the ones I have seen have been really fun.

Ben Folds is an outstanding judge, BTW.   

It's not for everyone, but for those that like this sort of thing, it's amazing. 

http://www.nbc.com/sing-off/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ben folds has been a staple in my life since whatever and ever amen. truly a phenomenal musicial. i have too many things in my DVR to catch up on though, with all the iron chef and jeopardy episodes and whatnot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

That Ben Folds acappella album is amazing...good call. (haven't seen the show he judges yet...thanks for the hat tip, yoga)

For your consideration, I submit Grateful Dead's "And We Bid You Goodnight"...

...and Guster's "Happier" (their song harmonies often lend themselves to a cappella versions)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Maybe about 10-15 years ago, Johnny Maestro (Mastroangelo, God bless his soul recently RIP) and the Brooklyn Bridge put out a fabulous accapella DoWop CD and cassette tape.  Charted hits of the 50-60's.  Unreal arrangements and harmony if you like that type of music.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated:
    That Ben Folds acappella album is amazing...good call. (haven't seen the show he judges yet...thanks for the hat tip, yoga) For your consideration, I submit Grateful Dead's "And We Bid You Goodnight"... ...and Guster's "Happier" (their song harmonies often lend themselves to a cappella versions)
    Posted by MattyScornD

Thanks, Matty.

The Guster song, "Happier" is astonishing done in acapella.  I just checked out a few versions that I could find on utube.   It lends itself perfectly.   (the original is gorgeous, of course)

Ben Folds is a unique talent, and I don't think it's hyperbole to call him a genius.  We should do a thread on him, since most of his fans would agree, and maybe people who are not aware of his talent would get to discover him.

You should see the expression on his face as he gives his critique after a group performs.   Even when he states he was disappointed in the performance (as the competition proceeds, the expectations get higher), he states why, and always finds something positive to say very professionally.  You can tell they are hanging on his every word.   I am, too. 
    Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated : Thanks, Matty. The Guster song, "Happier" is astonishing done in acapella.  I just checked out a few versions that I could find on utube.   It lends itself perfectly.   (the original is gorgeous, of course) Ben Folds is a unique talent, and I don't think it's hyperbole to call him a genius.  We should do a thread on him, since most of his fans would agree, and maybe people who are not aware of his talent would get to discover him. You should see the expression on his face as he gives his critique after a group performs.   Even when he states he was disappointed in the performance (as the competition proceeds, the expectations get higher), he states why, and always finds something positive to say very professionally.  You can tell they are hanging on his every word.   I am, too. 
    Posted by yogafriend

Kudos, yoga.  incidentally, Guster's new disc, "Easy Wonderful" is very good and worth the pickup (even if not quite at the level of the last three, IMO)...just great, unassuming, honest pop in the best sense of the word.

What attracts me to bands like Guster & Gomez and artists like Ben Folds is not only their musicianship but their playful and sometimes irascible sense of humor.  I have plenty of times when I like to indulge my darker, dingier sides, but keeping a sense of balance with lighter, breezier fare is just as important.  My guess is that you would agree.

Looking forward to the Ben thread....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

not acapella, but check youtube for ben folds doing an amazing version of such great heights by the postal service. if i remember correctly, it's just him on piano and some random acts of percussion from around the room. wicked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Just to follow up (and for those who can catch the grand finale next Monday night), and I apologize for being such a geek about this, but can't help myself.

gerbs, where are you?    where is SDM?  he started this thread originally. 

The final round of competition was so astonishing,  I could barely keep my jaw from dropping.  

The judges gave each of the final four a song to perform, and the group put their own interpretation on it:

Let's Stay Together - Al Green
    Down on the Corner - CCR
    Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
    House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

Seriously, the performances were sterling.  Not fair to put a spotlight over one or another, but I do have to say that the group that did "The House of the Rising Sun" made it a bluesy, almost gospel rendition, that trumps the original.   Even Ben Folds said that if the Coen Brothers hear it, they'd use it in one of their movie soundtracks. 

The performances were so fantastic, the judges did not eliminate a group as planned, but kept ALL FOUR as finalists, and the viewing audience will vote from home and pick the winner.

Next Monday night the winner will be announced.   Stay tuned.  Thanks for indulging me.  
    Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks so haven't seen the show, but will be back for the finale this coming Monday!  Hopefully I will be able to watch the previous weeks' shows online.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nice, gerbs.  I will no doubt post next week.  Hope you enjoy some of the online viewing.   The final performances are on utube as well. 

Welcome home. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

.   Even Ben Folds said that if the Coen Brothers hear it, they'd use it in one of their movie soundtracks.   
    Posted by yogafriend

Being a huge fan of the Coen Brothers and the the obscure music that they use on their soundtracks (check out Viva Las Vegas by Shawn Colvin at the credits of Big Lebowski, just one of many) I would be interested if you could remember the name of that group that sang House of the Rising Sun

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated : Being a huge fan of the Coen Brothers and the the obscure music that they use on their soundtracks (check out Viva Las Vegas by Shawn Colvin at the credits of Big Lebowski, just one of many) I would be interested if you could remember the name of that group that sang House of the Rising Sun
    Posted by jkjband

Here is the link for the performance, jkj.

Just want to say there's been a little controversy about this group, they are
    Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town.   Lots of people think they should have been eliminated from the competition by now and that they are a sentimental favorite, (even though they also have extreme talent), and are not really up to par with the other groups. 

(NOTE:  in fact earlier in this thread, The Persuasions were mentioned as an old time acapella group (I was not aware of them prior to the thread myself) -- well, Jerry Lawson was a member of the Persuasions -- apparently he created this new group and is making a comeback. 

The controversy stems basically b/c  this group is "old time" acapella and does not map all that well to what current acapella is doing.  Lots of people think they have not shown much diversity in their performances, and do not have the range of the other groups.    And it's true, they don't.   But they blew the roof off the house with their final performance, so that's why the finale was such a jaw dropper. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9Udq-auns

NOTE: listen to the judges' comments at the end. 

PS did not know about Shawn Colvin on that soundtrack.  Used to love her, but her voice kind of wears on me now.  But I will check it out. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Thanks,  Shawn Colvin is not included on the soundtrack but I put it on my I-Pod from the DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g87Mu9SNqwk

I like the comment "it really tied the soundtrack together"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well put Yoga. I tried to watch it once, and lasted about 10 minutes. I do agree that Jane Lynch is great, but it's not enough to keep me interested. On a somewhat related note, I was kind of psyched about the Sing Off show, and then the first two performances were Lady Gaga and Justin Beirber? songs and it was game over for me then and there. I might check it out again sometime, I love acapella, but not so much if I don't like the song in the first place, since most all of it is covers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile hey SDM, I copied and pasted your post here, to get out of the Glee thread! 
    Also, thanks for that reminder!    Cool
    Back to acapella ...

Yeah, I was truly disappointed in the Lady Gaga medley, too.   Seemed like they were going to reach for a "pop" crowd, and it lacked originality, to say the least.  Of all the possible song choices ... so lame.    But what you said about the notion of acapella as all covers is what really struck a chord.

I've had conversations about this (yes, I have!) and what you said is true.  If you don't like the songs that are being covered, you are going to get turned off.  It is all covers, so it's the arrangements and interpretations that will make it or break it.  One of the groups that was kicked off the show (can't remember their group name), one of the best IMHO,  gave all of their songs a jazz influenced performance, and used LOTS of dissonance in the arrangements.  I thought they were incredible, daring and very original.   Not for the average listener, but they gave something that took the "cover off the cover" if you know what I mean.

So this is one of the aspects of acapella that makes it what it is.   Interpretation and arrangement with the choice of song being covered.

Are there any instances of long-standing acapella groups writing their own songs?  Would they be from "way back when" ...?  Anyone?   It's certainly based primarily on cover music, but did any group come up with their own songs back in the old days, or were they always covering, too?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

When I dabbled in a cappella some years back (alas, the group wasn't so good) we did a mix of renaissance era madrigals and jazz era standards.  Much of the latter had been popularized by Manhattan Transfer but I don't know that they wrote any of their own material, mostly just arranged it for themselves.

I did eventually catch a least a couple of the last run of sing off after getting back from the UK.  Must say that my favorites were Street Corner Symphony (love the name too).  On the final result show, when they started in with Coldplay's Fix You, I had this hunch that a whole lot of extra people would be joining in during the bridge but the impact when it came to pass was still most impressive.  Blew the doors off the original IMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts