Acapella is sometimes underappreciated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated

In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated:
    [QUOTE]When I dabbled in a cappella some years back (alas, the group wasn't so good) we did a mix of renaissance era madrigals and jazz era standards.  Much of the latter had been popularized by Manhattan Transfer but I don't know that they wrote any of their own material, mostly just arranged it for themselves. I did eventually catch a least a couple of the last run of sing off after getting back from the UK.  Must say that my favorites were Street Corner Symphony (love the name too).  On the final result show, when they started in with Coldplay's Fix You, I had this hunch that a whole lot of extra people would be joining in during the bridge but the impact when it came to pass was still most impressive.  Blew the doors off the original IMHO.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

I would like to see/hear that. Coldplay is an interesting choice. I'd like to see them try to do Billie Jean acappella.Laughing When I look at acappella as a whole and the "vocalese" style popularized by Manhattan Transfer (which is also the name of their most commercially successful record, earning 12 grammy nods, second only to Thriller for most nominations) it has more or less always felt to me that this style of music was practically invented to play existing music. This is the definition of the vocalese style. I don't think they did much, if any original material, although John Hendricks, who wrote all the lyrics for that album, has written a lot of original stuff, and is one of the masters who has been around a long time. I think it was this record that drew my attention to this music, around 1985. Manhattan Transfer were absolutley brilliant live when the played the Saratoga Jazz festivals.

How much of acappella as a whole is in this style I really have no idea. It's hard for me to name too much original stuff other than "Don't Worry, Be Happy" and Hendricks' work, but I'm sure it's out there. It does seem that it's popularity is growing faster than ever, (how many tv shows can we have?) there are now dozens of acappella groups with insane talent who all want to be on the Sing Off. Since I know I can't sing but have an intense love of playing and listening to music, acappella has a special place for me. This is from someone who's collection is probably 65% instrumental music. It's almost a jealousy. Playing an instrument is one thing. Singing without the accompaniment of instruments is a whole other universe. There is almost nothing cooler than being in public somewhere and at random having a bunch of people who can really sing just bust into song from out of nowhere like they're on a stage or live tv. Gives me goosebumps if they can really belt it out spontaneously. That takes cajones. But, and this is a HUGE but, if you don't already know the song they are singing, do you care? It doesn't resonate, you don't know where it's going, what it means, it's got no context. This is why, IMHO, there isn't much original acapella music that makes the charts or gets any real exposure. Then again, you could say that about any original music at some level.

I never sang in public, anywhere, and for good reason, but I keep trying in the privacy of my own home, and only if no one else is within earshot. I'll have to see if I can find Street Corner Symphony. And maybe I'll have to give sing off another chance. Tongue out. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think "No Such Thing" by John Mayer would be an excellent choice for the sing off. This is the best live solo version of that song that I know of (it's not acappella) but it's very good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAS4YnWewG8

What song would you most like to see/hear done acappella (new thread anyone?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wow, thanks guys.  

I don't have time to do a response justice just this sec, but I'll come back (this time I won't forget ...) -- I'll get you some links to some of the performances, SDM.   The Cold Play number gerbs mentioned really was outstanding. 

I will return. 
      Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

No offence but I had to take a bath in Tomato juice after watching those 2 links.  It was like a scene out of that comedy about the Folk bands. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, thanks guys.   I don't have time to do a response justice just this sec, but I'll come back (this time I won't forget ...) -- I'll get you some links to some of the performances, SDM.   The Cold Play number gerbs mentioned really was outstanding.  I will return.   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I had some time to take in the videos from Street Corner. Willie and the poor boys alone is amazing. Thank you Gerbs. I would like to hear the bald guy sing lead more. not to take away from any other member, they freaking rock. I never really cared for Train, but their Hey Soul Sister makes me realize that a cover can be better than the original. Everybody wants to rule world. I don't, but listening to and watching them makes me smile, and Ben Folds makes it all that much better. I had no idea that he has done an acappella record, but I must have it. Thank you all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]When I dabbled in a cappella some years back (alas, the group wasn't so good) we did a mix of renaissance era madrigals and jazz era standards.  Much of the latter had been popularized by Manhattan Transfer but I don't know that they wrote any of their own material, mostly just arranged it for themselves.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]

gerbs,
    I wanted to ask if there are any choral groups you have seen or concerts you've attended that were really good.    Any choral groups that you'd recommend seeing?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated : This is the definition of the vocalese style. I don't think they did much, if any original material, although John Hendricks, who wrote all the lyrics for that album, has written a lot of original stuff, and is one of the masters who has been around a long time. I think it was this record that drew my attention to this music, around 1985. Manhattan Transfer were absolutley brilliant live when the played the Saratoga Jazz festivals. How much of acappella as a whole is in this style I really have no idea.

Playing an instrument is one thing. Singing without the accompaniment of instruments is a whole other universe. There is almost nothing cooler than being in public somewhere and at random having a bunch of people who can really sing just bust into song from out of nowhere like they're on a stage or live tv. Gives me goosebumps if they can really belt it out spontaneously.

Then again, you could say that about any original music at some level. I never sang in public, anywhere, and for good reason, but I keep trying in the privacy of my own home, and only if no one else is within earshot.  What song would you most like to see/hear done acappella (new thread anyone?)
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]

Glad you got to check out the performances on utube, they're all there, and while you caved right on the first night this time, next season (when ever that is), you'll know better.   The thing is, there are so few opportunities to see groups like this perform.   I don't need (or want) to see all that often,  it would just ruin it, and I've been listening to All Acapella on WERS for quite a while now and am perfectly happy with audio, and no video.    Insofar as the popularity and growth, I don't know about outside of collegiate, but in collegiate there are over 1,000 groups, if you can believe that.    The thing with collegiate is there is always going to be a revolving door of the group members ... they will always be coming and going from the group. 

I have no real knowledge of Manhattan Transfer, so I'll have to check them out  (heard of them, and heard them perform of course, but they have never been on my radar);  I'm not much of a John Mayer fan, sorry (but I can see some of his music being done acapella for sure, and that might be a good example of liking the cover version better than I like the original or the original artist).

I have been singing since I was a little kid ... but don't mistake that with having much talent!    ha ha.   But I was in every musical group the school system had to offer and that includes groups that required an audition; I also had to audition for all of the high school musicals, and it took a lot of courage for me to sing a solo, but that's how badly I wanted to be in the show, even for the chorus. 

Now I sound like a frog and only sing when I am alone, and even then, very softly! 
    Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I sang my first solo at 7 in church a cappella - Morning Has Broken.  I remember messing up the 3rd verse and having to start it again.  I was glad I didn't have accompaniment!

32 years later, 3 weeks ago, sang a cappella in church again.  Had to stop again.  My father's mother asked me to sing "He Touched Me" at her funeral.  So, I did.  Got choked up after just "Saddled by a heavy burden..."  Stopped.  Composed myself.  Sang.  People asked if I were a professional so I guess I managed to pull it together.  I wish I'd had it recorded, but, alas, that's not where my mind was.

As for real professional work, I really like that Christmas medley that is a parody of the 12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser.  The last portion done to the "Down in Africa" melody is my favorite part.  Very clever and well done, imo.  I crank it in the car and look like a freak bopping along as I drive.  (Don't worry, I pay attention the road.)  Not sure it's technically a "medley," but I'm sure you'll forgive the loose use of the word.

Here it is on YouTube

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Acapella is sometimes underappreciated : gerbs, I wanted to ask if there are any choral groups you have seen or concerts you've attended that were really good.    Any choral groups that you'd recommend seeing?    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    Since most of the live shows I get to are either orchestral, musical theater or "big name" rock/pop, I may not be the most up-to-date source.  I did see a very impressive a cappella combo called Naturally 7 sometime in the last year or so that was opening for someone (can't remember who!).  It's also a privilege to hear the Tanglewood Festival Chorus whenever the BSO is doing something needing choral forces.  When I retire (someday) I'll have to take some voice lessons so that I can work up to auditioning for the TFC...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

my grandmother's funeral was yesterday and my brother and two cousins and i did an acapella version of amazing grace during the ceremony...it was life changing, i only want to sing acapella forever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ph, did you notice my post above about just having sang at my grandmother's funeral, too?  Odd we'd both have the experience at the same time.  Sorry for your loss, and I'm sure your rendition changed everyone there, and they'll never forget it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]my grandmother's funeral was yesterday and my brother and two cousins and i did an acapella version of amazing grace during the ceremony...it was life changing, i only want to sing acapella forever
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Hey, Buck,
    Sorry to hear about your grandmother.  Sounds like you really added to the service.   I went to the funeral of a cousin in December and we left the church singing "Slient Night" and it was breathtaking, literally.  Have thought about it every day since.  I'm sure your music made everyone there yesterday feel the same.   Take care, sugar. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

thank you two for your kindness, it is sincerely appreciated. it was an amazing experience to be a part of, we all slept over our cousins house like when we were younger so we could arrange the four parts the night before. it was very comforting. i dont know if i'll go a day without thinking about it either, the whole church erupted in applause after, and i don't think that's supposed to happen at a funeral.

yoga- you never fail to make me smile, even when i'm not in the conversation. thanks dear :)

kar- i didnt notice that at first, but that is pretty interesting. coincidence? hm...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

funerals are times of super charged emotions - no wonder people applauded; not only was it a testimony to how well you guys did, but how moving it was in a positive way.

Sections
Shortcuts