Adele - British torch singer / "heartbroken soul"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Adele - British torch singer / "heartbroken soul"

Adele. 
    If you're not familiar with her, here's an opportunity to check out a new artist. 

I am on another board where there are lots of people from the UK, and Adele is very popular/big there.  Even though this style of singing is not what I'm normally drawn to, I decided to give her a chance, and I'm so glad I did.  :)

She's considered part of a new British invasion.  Used to impersonate the Spice Girls and Destiny's Child as a kid.  Has been influenced and inspired by artists Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald.  She wrote her first record at the age of 16, "Hometown Glory", her breakthrough song, released in 2007.

So to juxtapose Adele against, let's say, mmmmmm, Lady Gaga: Adele, until recently, wore no makeup, didn't know squat or care about fashion.  Was featured (and nurtured by Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue) in Vogue Magazine, and is now more interested in fashion, but remains understated.  By celebrity standards, is by no means slim, and might even be considered overweight.  Has a beautiful face.  Has no intention of losing weight or trying to become anything she is not.  Is a bit scared of her own predilection for drinking (she's been dubbed the "new" Amy Winehouse), but does not want to go down that destructive path. 

She has a new album, only her second, released February 22, 2011 in the USA, (behind the earlier UK release date), called "21".

" “21” hit No. 1 in Ireland, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria and Belgium. In the United Kingdom, where the album also hit the top spot, it sold 208,000 copies in its first week making it the biggest-selling January release in five years."

Might not be your cup of tea, but you might find it interesting to learn about a female vocalist who is extremely popular outside of the USA.  I certainly hope her star continues to rise here, too.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL49yZNE4yk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Zs7XS3XUo&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BPDhyunXo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Adele - British torch singer / "heartbroken soul"

I first heard about her when viewing VH1's 100 Greatest Artists this past summer. I have not had a chance to check out her music, but will do so when I can.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i've always liked her voice, i'd download it maybe but i have been spending a lot of time getting accustomed to the new radiohead cd...third or fourth listen changed my mind about it, i'm starting to get it the whole thing rather than just a couple standout tracks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Adele - British torch singer / "heartbroken soul":
    [QUOTE]i've always liked her voice, i'd download it maybe but i have been spending a lot of time getting accustomed to the new radiohead cd...third or fourth listen changed my mind about it, i'm starting to get it the whole thing rather than just a couple standout tracks.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    mmm, yes, I understand.  I saw Radiohead's new release coincided with Adele's US release.   I understand the time conflict. 
    Wink
    I have to say, Adele has grown on me tremendously.   Talk about honest.  I admit, she's more for chicks, but I really think she can appeal to men as well.   I'm so glad I gave her a chance. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i will check her out, i promise, because i value your opinion and i think we have pretty similar tastes.  and i will get back to you.

:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1

Her new release "21" is available for a free listen at the above link (until next Tuesday)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I've only heard "Rolling in the Deep" (props to WERS), but so far I like what I've heard.  Sounds like an up-and-comer....

Thanks again, yoga...!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, thanks everyone.  

And thanks for the link to the full CD, joe.  I have to remember to add that AOL site to my weekly checkpoints.  

I have decided not to just pay lip service to experimenting and am more committed to being open to new artists and music.  In this particular instance, I could have easily written Adele off and said, wow, I like that *one* song, but her style is not for me in general.  But I was so intrigued with the combination of her voice, her youth, and her popularity in the UK and elsewhere in Europe, she was too good to pass up.   Watch for her.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: new music -

I've mentioned them before on here, but The Head And The Heart is a neo-folk-rock collective from out Seattle way, and their debut album is outstanding - one of the best I've heard in recent months and would be in my running for fave of the year (if it hadn't been released last summer).  Definite shades of Iron & Wine, Avett Bros., Mumford & Sons, et al...

If you haven't heard of them yet, you should soon....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I bought her first CD.  It was good, but I wasn't blown away by it.  I should give it another listen. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Looked at a couple of her videos on YouTube. Her vocal style intrigues me. She's different. I like her.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I think I may have said this before, but the best, longest lasting music comes across as OK on the first listen and grows on one after repeat listens.... the songs that kind of blow you away at first tend to not have much staying power... at least for me

This is just a general rule and has been broken now and then, but it seems to follow for the most part for me anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Re: new music - I've mentioned them before on here, but The Head And The Heart is a neo-folk-rock collective from out Seattle way, and their debut album is outstanding - one of the best I've heard in recent months and would be in my running for fave of the year (if it hadn't been released last summer).  Definite shades of Iron & Wine, Avett Bros., Mumford & Sons, et al... If you haven't heard of them yet, you should soon....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Matty, I saw them on the WUMB new music list and I will check them out.  Note: this also speaks to the eclectic mix played on WUMB.  I have heard Mumford and Sons (played on WUMB, as well!), and am paying more attention. 

BTW, there is a new G Love album on the new albums play list this week,  as it was released earlier this very week.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I think I may have said this before, but the best, longest lasting music comes across as OK on the first listen and grows on one after repeat listens.... the songs that kind of blow you away at first tend to not have much staying power... at least for me This is just a general rule and has been broken now and then, but it seems to follow for the most part for me anyway.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    It's a generalization, but one I agree with and am trying to (currently) employ in my listening habits.  My experience with Adele fits this to a tee.  

We could create a thread on this very concept ... what songs / artists took a while to grow on you?  But after having done so, you were totally sold on?   
    ??