Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrEdZone. Show DrEdZone's posts

Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

The bad boyz of Boston couldn't have asked for a better announcer...Denis (Rescue-F'ing-Me) Leary was the balls!  Even though Steve and Joe made nice nice for the audience, you could still sense their natural rivalry.  J. Geils blew our face out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProSox. Show ProSox's posts

The 2 best bands to ever come out of Boston put on an OUTSTANDING show.
    It would be nice if they could rock the Garden sometime soon, for the people
    who couldn't attend tonight's show. They've still got it, and how !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from papa12800. Show papa12800's posts

LOVED IT! Rocked out loud. Both bands were at the top of their form and soun ded great. Glad I was there. My 10 year old was amazed at how many songs she knew from the radio. I think she was secretly appalled that we liked the same songs, but soon got over it. Great music will do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from videographertc2. Show videographertc2's posts

Both bands played great.  I got my money's worth and would do it again tomorrow.  I left just before "Dream On" and am curious if Aerosmith followed it up with anything else. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

J geils was great! They came  prepared. Played two hours, non-stop and everything their fans wanted to hear. They could and SHOULD  go out on tour tomorrow. Friends on the west coast are dying to see them out there. Its been decades!

Aerosmith started out great with Train Kept a Rollin and then it was all down hill from there.

They could have made it special with some older or rare songs for their home town fans, but they didn't. They stuck to their regular tour set list and it was a disappointment to a lot of people and long time fans. Did they really have to do PINK when they could have done something more classic like Seasons of Wither? really guys? Come ON! Throw us a dinosaur bone! It was a perfect night to stroll down memory lane with the fans that known you better and longer than anywhere else in the world.

We all could have been in Peoria watching  this show with this set list and  no one would have been the wiser. This was THE Boston show  of their career and a special night  for their long time, devoted fans ( that paid out the @@@ for these tickets!) and it could have been so much more and special. But in the end, it looked just like another day at the office for them.

Fenway concert Setlist

01. Train Kept A Rollin'
    02. Love In An Elevator
    03. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees)
    04. Livin' On The Edge
    05. What It Takes (Zzzzzz)
    06. Pink  ( REALLY?)
    07. Last Child
    08. Cryin'
    --Drum Solo--
    09. Rag Doll
    --Guitar Hero Joe-- (DUMB)
    10. Stop Messin' Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry)
    11. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
    12. Come Together
    13. Sweet Emotion
    14. Baby Please Don't Go (usually great, but tonight it came off as a self indulgent mess)
    15. Draw The Line

Encore:
    16. Dream On
    17. Walk This Way

Notes: Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster! Must have been nice for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmatt72. Show dmatt72's posts

Jenny Dee & the Deelinquents - really fun; they play around the Boston area all the time - check them out.

J. Geils - Fantastic, playing all the songs you wanted to hear with a lot of energy; Wolf sounded great, and J. Geils/Magic Dick/Seth Justman were their ever-solid selves.

Aerosmith - SUCKED. Started off with Train Kept a Rollin', and then proceeded to play all their cheesiest ballads & 80's crapola...Just when it couldn't get any worse, Joe Perry starts playing against Guitar Hero on stage, then Joey Kramer plays a 30-second drum solo, followed by another 30-second drum solo only using his hands.  Very, very frustrating - waiting for them to just start ripping out more of their classic 70's hits, but that just didn't happen...Aerosmith had ZERO energy, which is really disappointing seeing how they were in Boston, and at Fenway no less...The show ended with -what looked like, at least - Perry sniping at Tyler over Tyler's remark that he's going to be pregnant with Joe Tyler's baby put the rotten cherry on the top of this mess.  Very disappointing, Aerosmith-wise,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from baribig. Show baribig's posts

My first time seeing J. Geils... They were great. I see Pter Wolfe around town and he is somewhat of an intravert. He is not like that on stage, seems to be at home their. Great performance.

Aerosmith - Saw them at least 4 times prior and this was not their best show. What compensated for it was Fenway. Still fun, but when you take away the drum solo, guitar hero and some other stall tactics they only played about 90 minutes... Hey, at that age I guess that's the limit.

Still very entertaining

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davesep1964. Show davesep1964's posts

You saw the setlist for Aerosmith which SUCKED. T-shirts said "Bad Boys From Boston", but they played sucky sappy tunes for the chicks. J Geils won that battle of the bands, HANDS DOWN. AERO-dudes, your biggest show EVER in Boston, and you blew it…See me for a setlist next time, OK.. Here you go…OLD SCHOOL !!!!

Back In The Saddle

Same Old Song And Dance

Dude Looks Like A Lady

Big Ten Inch

Mama Kin

Jaded

Reefer Headed Woman

Rats In The Cellar

Kings And Queens

Lord Of The Thighs

Dream On

Let The Music Do The Talking

Lightning Strikes

I Wanna Know Why

Other Side

Uncle Salty

Lick And A Promise

Chip Away The Stone

Toys In The Attic

1st Encore:

Love In The Elevator

Sweet Emotion

2nd Encore:

Walk This Way

Train Kept A Rollin’

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonlimey. Show bostonlimey's posts

J.Geils suffered through poor sound but were great.

AEROSMITH WERE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen this band 18 times these past 25 years and THIS WAS IT,NO MORE!!!

What was with all the pop music?!?
    Where were the hometown faves?
    Why did we pay over $100 each to watch MTV?
    Is Steve Tyler back on drugs?

AEROSMITH WERE TERRIBLE...AWFUL.

Goodness me it was poor.What the heck happened to real Aerosmith?

Were we watching a pop group?

NEVER AGAIN.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonlimey. Show bostonlimey's posts

And,yes,I was there.
     "Rocks" is the band`s best album.Just checked the set list ( because we left as the 'encore' was about to begin ) and they played ONE SONG from "Rocks".
     What,no "Back In The Saddle" Steven?.

The quicker this idiot goes off to "American Idol" the better.

PLEASE NO MORE GUYS...THIS WAS AN EMBARASSMENT.

Saw them at the Orpheum in the 80s.They still had it then and we didnt pay $100.

Really thought we`d hear "Sick As A Dog","Lightning Strikes" and/or "Seasons Of Wither" tonight.But no.Just pop music.

IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a terrible waste.I blame Tyler.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonlimey. Show bostonlimey's posts

papa12800 said it for all of us die hard fans who wanted a SPECIAL hometown show..."My 10 year old was amazed at how many songs she knew from the radio".

Us real fans got NOTHING...

The 10 year olds got what they wanted...a Lady Ga Ga show.

`Nuff said.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beash2123. Show beash2123's posts

I very much enjoyed J Geils. They Rocked!!!!! I've seen Aerosmith over 20 times. I was so disappointed!!!!!  I am and always will be a Tyler fanatic!!!!! I've seen Steven worse but more or less much, much better. I was singing along and knew the words better than he did. I know the turmoil with the band didn't help but It seemed to like he needed to go back to rahab for God's sake!!!!!!!

I was happy he didn't fall off the Green Monster but he did F up the beging of WHAT SONG? DREAM ON DUH!!!! The one he's been playing the longest. I spent over $300 per ticket to see them. My friend never saw Aerosmith. He thought they were good but I love my music and my ear caught everything. It's almost as if he didn't want to be there.

I never thought I'd admit this but "time to put the scarves to bed"!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from birdys. Show birdys's posts

GREAT SHOW .. !!!!

AEROSMITH  is NOTHING absolutely NOTHING without TYLER ...the band ( Perry ) should remember this and realize that no one could ever take his place.

J GEILS , hot as ever ...how do they do it ?...Ageless Energy !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:
    [QUOTE]J geils was great! They came  prepared. Played two hours, non-stop and everything their fans wanted to hear. They could and SHOULD  go out on tour tomorrow. Friends on the west coast are dying to see them out there. Its been decades! Aerosmith started out great with Train Kept a Rollin and then it was all down hill from there. They could have made it special with some older or rare songs for their home town fans, but they didn't. They stuck to their regular tour set list and it was a disappointment to a lot of people and long time fans. Did they really have to do PINK when they could have done something more classic like Seasons of Wither? really guys? Come ON! Throw us a dinosaur bone! It was a perfect night to stroll down memory lane with the fans that known you better and longer than anywhere else in the world. We all could have been in Peoria watching  this show with this set list and  no one would have been the wiser. This was THE Boston show  of their career and a special night  for their long time, devoted fans ( that paid out the @@@ for these tickets!) and it could have been so much more and special. But in the end, it looked just like another day at the office for them. Fenway concert Setlist 01. Train Kept A Rollin' 02. Love In An Elevator 03. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) 04. Livin' On The Edge 05. What It Takes (Zzzzzz) 06. Pink  ( REALLY?) 07. Last Child 08. Cryin' --Drum Solo-- 09. Rag Doll --Guitar Hero Joe-- (DUMB) 10. Stop Messin' Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry) 11. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing 12. Come Together 13. Sweet Emotion 14. Baby Please Don't Go (usually great, but tonight it came off as a self indulgent mess) 15. Draw The Line Encore: 16. Dream On 17. Walk This Way Notes: Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster! Must have been nice for him.
    Posted by aquanet[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe this was their set list. F'n horrible choice of songs.

Sadly, they should pack it in. They seem to have lost all their senses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

THE SOUND IN FENWAY PARK IS TERRIBLE !  Aerosmith is geting old, but they still rock. This was my 40th Aerosmith show, and by far this one had the poorest sound. Not enough power, muddy, middy, and generally lacking balls.
    I will never go to a concert in Fenway again. If we're lucky enough to have Aerosmith tour again, catch them at the Garden, or at Comcast.

I'll hear the real show in CT next month!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kumalo. Show kumalo's posts

I was going to be content to listen from outside, but was surprised with last minute tickets in the pavilion and rocked out from the inside.  It was great just being at Fenway on such a beautiful night.  J Geils did not disappoint -- they were rockin from the minute they took the stage through their encore.  They played every song I wanted to hear and more -- music was tight, Wolf was entertaining and I danced with joy and happiness -- a great house party at Fenway.  Aerosmith -- not much to say but loved the white baby grand "hey Boston, up here" on the green monster -- otherwise kind of boring.  J GEILS SHOW WAS OUTSTANDING

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jono427. Show Jono427's posts

I thought it was a no brainer that Aerosmith would invite the J. Geils band and Jenny Dee and the Deelinquents out for an encore of "Dirty Water".  How could this not happen? 

The J. Geils Band stole this show and it wasn't even close.  Peter and the band had the crowd dancing the whole time.  For Aerosmith most people were flat on their feet.  Peter, as usual, recognized the great influences that that band has had and gave credit to everyone around him.

I thought Aerosmith mailed it in.  With the exception of "Dream On" from the top of the monster and a pre-recorded intro video the show could have been anywhere.  No "Mama Kin"?  In Boston, 100 yards from where they had a club named Mama Kin?  I really wanted to hear "No more, no more", "Seasons of Wither". 

I'm sorry, but "I don't want to miss a thing" is not a song I want to hear at a rock concert.  It is elevator music.  The guitar hero thing was just unfortunate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gillie2525. Show Gillie2525's posts

J Geils Came out smoking, "First I look at the Purse" and continued through out the set. They played all the old classics, unlike Aerosmith, who were ok, but didn't play the songs that the diehards like to hear, "One Way Street", "Toys In the Atic" to name a few. Hands down, J Geils stole the show.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssinop. Show ssinop's posts

J. Geils kicked serious butt,  as they always do. I saw in Aerosmith in 1975 as my first concert, and love the band, but this was just a "going through the motions" show....and a very disappointing setlist. The best part of this show was that I got my tickets for free.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stillman51. Show Stillman51's posts

Ok, here goes.  I was there and have lots to say.

Jenny Dee and the D's were great.  Only 20 minutes with no screen, but the coolest girl band around, They sounded great in a huge park with bad acoustics while people constantly filied in.  Can't wait to see them in clubs around town. 

J. Geils Band were perfect.  Fun, rockin, full of energy coming from who knows where.  Great song selection and constant rock and roll fun they way it should be.  They really stole the show.  Southside Shuffle was very cool because Peter Wolf teased the crowd with all of the lingo from the Blow Your Face Out album to introduce the song.  It was a perfect expample of giving the people what they wanted to hear.  It didn't even matter that they babied the song, played it a little slow, it was a perfect selection to bring people back to one of the best live rocks albums ever.  I would see these guys any day any time.  They are way too much fun.  Excellent set.  

Aerosmith. 
    Aerosmith.  
    Give people what they want to hear
    They didn't, period. 

I guess it was difficult to follow J Geils.  When Jimi Hendrix had to follow The Who at Monterey he told everyone he was going to "pull out all the stops and blow everyone away" setting his guitar on fire, etc.  Aerosmith should have stopped, maybe start a fire.  Ok, I'm being harsh here.  Lets look at the show in detail.  This is Fenway Park and you are following a killer set by The J Geils Band.  This obviously had no effect on the way Aerosmith appraoched this show.  "Train Kept A Rollin" was the opener, which is a cool song, but do you want "New York City" as some of your first lyrics for this kind of event.  FENWAY PARK, Bad Boys from BOSTON?  Just a bad choice, which continued for each song thereafter.  How about "Make It" for your opener; 1st song, 1st album "Good evening poeple welcome to the show".........  Look, I know these guys are professional musicians, they work hard and it must be difficult to put on a show every night whether you like to or not.  They obviously have a template setlist that they tweak here and there for this tour.  I am not going to pick apart the setlist, mostly because it is too painful to list the songs they dicided to play for this big concert.  I will say however that besides most of the songs played last night, what was most disappointing was to learn that within the last couple of weeks they have been playing songs like "One Way Street", Back In The Saddle", Toys", "Mama Kin", but not last night???  There was a club called Mama Kin that many Red Sox players hit with home runs across the street.  Tyler and Perry dont get along at all and obviously didn't spend any time discussing how they could make this show special in any way.  I sat for the entire show after the opening #, even during the embarassing and insulting Guitar Hero Joe segment.  Please don't sell 38,000 people who just paid their hard earned $$ Guitar Hero.  And what about that song introducing Joey Kramer with that weird video of him I'm trying to block from my memory banks forever?  "Don't Want to Miss A Thing" was ironic as I would have loved to missed that song.  When "Cryin" started my friend texted to me "Cryin!" and I texted back "I'm Cryin".  And the messy "Baby Please Don't Go" felt like they were talking to me asking me not to leave, like they knew I thought about it.   The most uncomfortable moment was definitely having them try to get together for a picture at the very end.  Very painful.  To be positive, "Last Child" was the highlight for me.   I am leaving a lot out and I know this is a negative review.  Sory but it's time for these guys to move on.  If you cant play a killer show at Fenway Park, why bother?  Oh yeah, lots of $$$$.  Hey Tyler, please go on American Idol, and enjoy that $4Mil for your book. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcbrine. Show dmcbrine's posts

I agree with most of the other posts...thought J Geils was the better of the two bands last night....really fun music and sounded great..they all seemed happy to be playing Fenway..lots of energy.  Felt Aerosmith was good..not great...they could have played more of their older blues and rock songs would have been better for this show...nothing exciting or unique  in the set list except for Dream On on the Green Monster with Steve Tyler playing solo piano.  The Guitar Hero bit was lame and felt like a filler for Joe Perry.  I guess lifelong fans always want the original Aerosmith back but remember they are getting pretty old with a lot of baggage to carry around and 3 members with medical problems.   Overall a good performance..being at Fenway made it special too.  Just wish the set list had been tailored for the Boston home crowd...felt generic to me

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from randymac11. Show randymac11's posts

Your post was right on. I also was expecting a "little" something extra.....maybe throw in a Mama Kin or Kings and Queens bone to the Boston fans. They were awesome as usual but probably would of got the same show that we got in Fenway a few nights ago in NY.

It would of also been special if J Geils and Aerosmith did a jam session together......hell first time at Fenway and on the same stage......why NOT!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

I don't know who the guy is that "officially" reviewed the show posted on boston.com, but he wasn't at the same show  I was or knows nothing about the  Aerosmith.

He was blathering on about Steven wasn embracing Joe ..yadda yadda. They were  sniping at each other all night long. From Love in an Elevator when they were suppose to do the accappella ending and Steven walked off left Joe hanging to finsh it alone, to Joe cutting off Steven during one of his harmonica solos. This reviewer just didn't get it.

They did NOTHING special for the fans. FYI- Tyler playing up on te Green Monster was for his EGO- not the fans. Their set list was lazy and just pitiful.

Baby Please Don't Go ( which is usually a highlight for me)  was a dysfunctional, self-indugent mess.  Which over all reflected the current state of this once great band.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bomino. Show bomino's posts

I'm a J Geils fan first and foremost and they were great despite a horrible sound system.  Aerosmith's set list was awful.  I really expected they'd play some deeper cuts for the hometown crowd and not one song with Wolf and Tyler performing together??? Very disappointing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Allguy. Show Allguy's posts

What an expensive night.  Was it worth it, well jury still out on that... 
    Wish this would have happen 25 years ago when we were all alot younger...   Concert shirts...  All the Aerosmith shirts were an extra $5.oo dollars, whats with that? 
    J. Geils: wow still got it..  The Best Live Band ever....
    Aerosmith: Thought the way Dream On was done was great..  Didn't really care for the set list, really wanted to hear Lord of the Thighs..
    Was hoping for some sort of band Duet at the end too..
    Had young guys sitting behind us that just wouldn't shut up.. They didn't even show up for Geils, talked through three quarters of Aerosmith and left before it was over.  They must of had free tickets...
    On the ride home listening to replay on WZLX my friend an I swore this was our last Aerosmith show..
    yah right..