Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JenniferS1971. Show JenniferS1971's posts

Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

In Response to Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:
    [QUOTE]Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band rocked Fenway on Saturday, Aug. 14. Were you there? Was it all you expected it to be? Share your review here.
    Posted by thingstodo[/QUOTE]

What an AMAZING show!  J. Geils never EVER disappoints.  We just saw them on 12/31/09 at Mohegan Sun and they were awesome there, too!  Great show.  I was sad that the sound for J. Geils was no where near what it was for Aerosmith - they were treated more like an opening act than as a co-headliner.  They should have gotten more respect from the sound people. 

Speaking of respect - WHY do people goto concerts to socialize with friends?  I had a really hard time hearing J. Geils because of the people talking all around me.  There was a VERY loud chick right behind me - (14-111 row CC) that did not SHUT UP for the whole J. Geils set.  She wasn't alone though.  I paid a lot of money to hear J. Geils and all I heard were the morons around me.  I think if J. Geils was louder people would have given them the respect that they deserved.

I was extremely surprised by Aerosmith's performance.  I saw them last about 5 years ago and thought they were pretty done.  That said, they blew me out of the water last night!  What a GREAT Aerosmith show! 

The only thing that disappointed me last night were the people at the show - the music ROCKED.  Venues should think twice about giving free tickets away because those are the people that ruin the show for everyone who REALLY want to be there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from matty2166. Show matty2166's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:
    [QUOTE]J geils was great! They came  prepared. Played two hours, non-stop and everything their fans wanted to hear. They could and SHOULD  go out on tour tomorrow. Friends on the west coast are dying to see them out there. Its been decades! Aerosmith started out great with Train Kept a Rollin and then it was all down hill from there. They could have made it special with some older or rare songs for their home town fans, but they didn't. They stuck to their regular tour set list and it was a disappointment to a lot of people and long time fans. Did they really have to do PINK when they could have done something more classic like Seasons of Wither? really guys? Come ON! Throw us a dinosaur bone! It was a perfect night to stroll down memory lane with the fans that known you better and longer than anywhere else in the world. We all could have been in Peoria watching  this show with this set list and  no one would have been the wiser. This was THE Boston show  of their career and a special night  for their long time, devoted fans ( that paid out the @@@ for these tickets!) and it could have been so much more and special. But in the end, it looked just like another day at the office for them. Fenway concert Setlist 01. Train Kept A Rollin' 02. Love In An Elevator 03. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) 04. Livin' On The Edge 05. What It Takes (Zzzzzz) 06. Pink  ( REALLY?) 07. Last Child 08. Cryin' --Drum Solo-- 09. Rag Doll --Guitar Hero Joe-- (DUMB) 10. Stop Messin' Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry) 11. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing 12. Come Together 13. Sweet Emotion 14. Baby Please Don't Go (usually great, but tonight it came off as a self indulgent mess) 15. Draw The Line Encore: 16. Dream On 17. Walk This Way Notes: Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster! Must have been nice for him.
    Posted by aquanet[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jonn. Show Jonn's posts

Seein Tyler playing "Dream on" on piano on the green monster was monumental!!

Other than that I pretty much agree with people who were critical of the set list and the interuption/ stall tactics. Still a decent show and performance.

J.Geils gave it their all. (sound was off a bit)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Malecopywriter. Show Malecopywriter's posts

I think the image that summed up the night for me the best was watching the heavily branded "Joe Perry: Guitar Hero" bus roll through the crowded streets -- Joe sitting right up front with the interior lights on so everyone could see him in his purple Disco-Dracula outfit.

He might as well have been counting out stacks of hundreds, stopping occasionally to give the crowd the finger and laugh.

The guys have completely sold out. I guess we shouldn't be surprised.  I mean, they haven't been the same band since they started working with people like Diane Warren.  It's just so obvious they made a deal with the corporate Devil a long time ago and now we're seeing the sad, inevitable end game.

Geils blew them out of the water, as far as a genuine performance was concerned.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm off the Aerosmith wagon.  They've just made it too impossible to respect them anymore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from matty2166. Show matty2166's posts

I agree with most others Ive seen aerosmith over 100 times and this was the most disappointing one so far.  I thought it would be old school rock show especially at Fenway Park  Geils kicked butt  For a band that doesnt tour they put on one hell of a show  Aerosmith was awful  They played more old stuff in Houston TX then at Fenway Park  Ridiculous!!!  Then they didnt get together on stage for a song with both bands  That was wrong  I heard that Kramer was backstage badmouthing Geils saying they had played with better bands  Not last night you didnt because J Geils blew you off the  stage  Next time you come to play in Boston, play something the fans want to hear and not all that new ballad crap  Were not 12 Im goin to Mohegan in 2 weeks to see Asmith  Im hopin it will be a little better  I guess it couldnt be much worse

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poet79. Show poet79's posts

The sound was poor, could not understand when wolf or tyler were talking. The dennis leary itnro was all muffled and did not know who was talking until they showed his pic.  Overall sound was very muddy a little improvement for aerosmith.
    J Geils rocked the house all good songs they only played 2 I did not care for. Aerosmith only played 2 good songs The rest of the show was like a cover band playing at a high school prom trying to impress the girls. This was my 5th and last time seeing aerosmith, a huge dissapointment! I would have enjoyed it better if Aerosmith was the oppening act(45min) an J Geils were the headliners (3hrs).
    I agree with other reviewers Aerosmiyh dropped the ball again. Is Tyler really off the pain meds or just his managers lackey????
    J Geils blew Aerosmith out of the park, J Geils do some more local shows!!!
    Aerosmith go pratice Guitar Hero.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davesep1964. Show davesep1964's posts

Hey Aerosmith members...After reading all these negative reviews, don't be mad at US...no...Don't Get Mad, Get Even....Go back into the studio, put out a new record of ORIGINAL songs, get back to your rock roots...and simply give us the show we paid $100 or more for. It's that simple. You've done your American Top 40 tour, now get serious about salvaging your careers. Play your BEST stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TASS77. Show TASS77's posts

I can't agree more from the folks who have expressed disappointment with Aerosmith and specifically their "WEAK" Set list. I have seen the Boy's over 50 times since the early day's 1975 was my 1st show, and thought based on the fact they recorded thier first album and lived around the corner from Fenway, that they would treat us old timers with some rare rocking gems. What we got was a standard song list, with all the Ballads a 16 year old girl would love to sing along too! These were not the BAD BOYS from BOSTON, but merely their to sell more albums! I would have thought we would get a combined Steven/Wolf, Tyler/Geils "Dirty Water" but instead got a whole lot of "Cryin" and I Don't Want !@!# a Thing, Please!! Steve you sold out last night and could not hold a candle to the real House Band J GEILS! Good job by a band that has to go back on the road!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blackdawgg829. Show Blackdawgg829's posts

I grew up in Montana and heard Dream On for the first time in my high school lunchroom in 1974 - and I'd never seen Aerosmith until last night.  It was like I was 14 again...!  Yes, we even had radio out there believe it or not...I have been a big fan ever since and have lived here for 27 years and had always wanted to see Aerosmith and J. Geils....For me it did live up to its billing but I wish as did others that 'smith had done a lot more older stuff for the fans that so endear them...

It was a GREAT show overall (now how cool was Steven Tyler playing Dream On atop the Green Monster!!!), but I'd agree with many that J. Geils stole the show...they were just SO d*mn good and just so much fun!  They REALLY REALLY need to get back on the road once in a while and show the younger kids what real R&B/Rock n Roll and entertaining is...Peter Wulfa-Gulfa shows that he STILL has it and the whole band and the horn section were just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!  A memory I will treasure...Oh - and by the way I bought tickets outside Fenway 1/2 hour before the show started from a non-sanctioned street salesman, AKA a scalper...!  Yippee!!  Fair price though!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blackdawgg829. Show Blackdawgg829's posts

To add on, it really is hard to believe that with all the history in Boston these 2 bands have, that somehow, some way they couldn't have gotten together and sang a song or two that just blew the walls of the Green Monster down - us fans that were there would've forgiven the lame Guitar Hero thing and Steven messing up the intro of Dream On - no biggie if it had been done...what's up with that guys!!! You had the opportunity OF A LIFETIME most of us fans don't even begin to dream of and you couldn't just cast aside any bad feelings and give back to this town and area that has given you SO SO much?  Not singing together was metaphorically like the ball escaping you know who (most definitely forgiven!) in the 1986 World Series....OUCH!  Maybe you can get together again...J Geils still won the battle of the heavyweights in my book!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shannoninwonderland. Show shannoninwonderland's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:
    [QUOTE]You saw the setlist for Aerosmith which SUCKED. T-shirts said "Bad Boys From Boston", but they played sucky sappy tunes for the chicks. J Geils won that battle of the bands, HANDS DOWN. AERO-dudes, your biggest show EVER in Boston, and you blew it…See me for a setlist next time, OK.. Here you go…OLD SCHOOL !!!! Back In The Saddle Same Old Song And Dance Dude Looks Like A Lady Big Ten Inch Mama Kin Jaded Reefer Headed Woman Rats In The Cellar Kings And Queens Lord Of The Thighs Dream On Let The Music Do The Talking Lightning Strikes I Wanna Know Why Other Side Uncle Salty Lick And A Promise Chip Away The Stone Toys In The Attic 1 st Encore: Love In The Elevator Sweet Emotion 2 nd Encore: Walk This Way Train Kept A Rollin’
    Posted by davesep1964[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peacenik. Show peacenik's posts

It was an interesting contrast between the bands. Geils took 4 or 5 songs to settle in, but after that it was just like seeing them in their heyday. I didn't even check my cell phone between sets because I felt like I was back in 1976, when cell phones didn't exist yet, and I didn't want to spoil the effect. And after seeing the paunches on so many aging rockers, I find it refreshing to say that Peter Wolf is actually looking a little too skinny these days. They had a rare chance to recapture their former glory, and they seized it in a big way.

As for Aerosmith, I've never seen them before, and I thought they did just fine, though I agree that the guest spot by Joe Perry's sons was worse than useless. What was interesting to watch was the tension between the band members. It seems pretty clear that Steven Tyler has no more control over his life than Lindsay Lohan has over hers, and that Joe Perry and Brad Whitford are sick of him. For most of the show, when he would awkwardly put his arm around their shoulders or stick his face in theirs to sing a few lines, they just kept looking down stone-faced at their instruments as if he weren't even there. It was especially chilling during "Come Together," when Tyler wrapped his arm around Perry to sing the line "Hold you in his arms, yeah, you can feel his disease." Ain't that the truth. The only time Tyler and Perry looked directly at each other was during the final chorus of "Baby, Please Don't Go," when they stared into each other's faces from a few inches apart, both of them desperately pleading, "Baby, please don't go/Baby, please don't go down to New Orleans/You know I love you so/Baby, please don't go," as if they each really meant it.

So it made perfect sense during the encore when Tyler was alone on top of the Green Monster and the rest of the band was still down on the stage. And it gave old words a whole new meaning to hear the crowd singing along as if they were singing to him: "Sing with me if it's just for today/Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away." Seems like Tyler is all too aware that he should take the hint, but is also too far gone to do anything about it. So I sang with him just for today, and today was really good. But the message of the show seemed to be: You think Steven Tyler can get himself clean and patch things up with the band yet again? Dream on.

So it was a great show, in which Geils brilliantly recreated the past and then Aerosmith brought us back to the present and reminded us why sometimes we'd rather not look at the future. They drove the point home (baseball reference not intended, but noticed after the fact) by putting Tyler on top of the Green Monster, which transformed the present into the past by creating a moment that 38,000 of us instantly knew we would remember for the rest of our lives. Let's just hope Tyler keeps finding ways to make the rest of his life last longer than anyone could reasonably expect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bagadonuts. Show Bagadonuts's posts

Nope......wasn't there....didn't need to be to know that J GEILS ROCKS and always has......this is a HOUSE PARTY!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from G-Cheevers30. Show G-Cheevers30's posts

Geils made the show a memory - they played their @ss's off and had fun doing it. It was fun and the crowd loved it.

Aerosmith blew it !! Aerosmith has become a Corporate bore and played their standard 'pop' set list!  I think Boston (and the "Fenway show") deserved more than what the 'cookie cutter' songs.  They seemed more like the "Mild Men from Hollywood" than the the 'Bad Boys from Boston".  There is so much more they could have done for this "event" and the place where they earned their chops!! How about some more from the 1st Album - Mama Kin, .... Why did they stop playing at 10:40 instead of 11PM ? They should have had Wolfe, etc join them on stage - what a memory that would have been. Joe P couldn't have looked more pissed at Tyler all night. Too bad it could have been a better memory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poet79. Show poet79's posts

Re: Aerosmith and J. Geils Band at Fenway -- rocked

In Response to Aerosmith and J. Geils Band at Fenway -- rocked:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people who posted here thought they were ripped, too bad. I thought it was an awesome show. J.Giels was great and Aerosmith rocked the house. Excellent light show too. Its hard to please everyone, I think they did a great job!  Keep Rockin'
    Posted by Davidstoy[/QUOTE]

We did not "feel ripped" but we were dissapointed and felt let down by our hometwon band who treated this as just another show on their tour and not a special performance. J Geils is the real deal and did the show the way it was supposed to be done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jonn. Show Jonn's posts

Well put Poet79

I am not (currently) a huge Aerosmith Fan but really was up till maybe 15 years ago..So when I heard they were going to play Fenway I was expecting something UNIQUE/SPECIAL and back to their roots (Rocks/Toys in the Attick etc),  We did not get much UNIQUE/SPECIAL from the band. 
    Like I said I haven;t seen them in 15+ years so not sure if the constant stoppage and non-continuation to the next song is what is to be expected, but from the songs themselves (to reflect that this was a once in a life time occasion) to the perfomance/effort/energy from the band it was a let down from what many imagined it could have been.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mondy. Show Mondy's posts

When did Aerosmith become a prom band?

J Geils was outrageously good.  They crushed it.  Aerosmith, after a great intro by Dennis Leary, was completely underwhelming.  Boring set list, too many pop ballads, kind of bland.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sab6916. Show sab6916's posts

I was there. Didn't like the set list? Yeah it would have been GREAT to hear the older stuff. But you can't please all the people all the time. I thought Aerosmith was great!! The only thing I can think is all the negative reviews are from all the people that were WASTED. Come on did you go to see the show or to get drunk.  Maybe next time stay sober and you might actually enjoy the show and remember it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonlimey. Show bostonlimey's posts

I`m one of the negative reviewers sab6916 is talking about,and NO I WASNT DRUNK!!!.Are you kidding me,did you see the price of beer?.
     But after watching Aerosmith play pop music we were off to J.J.Foley`s to drink way before the encores ended.
     They need a NEW SINGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

The Front House sound man should resign in disgrace. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captew. Show Captew's posts

Ok, which show did the reviewer see? Geils rocked out.  I was saving energy for Aerosmith but did not need it.  What a disappointment?  As Belushi said in Animal House: "this could be the biggest night of our lives but noooooo, you aren't going to let it happen". 

My 15 year old loved Aerosmith as they just played slow valium like ballads.  Ain't no rockers on the stage when they do that.  Other posts w/ potential set list...right on!!!  Would have, could have been great.

Hey Mr Wolf, you still got it, get on the road w/ your old band and have a blast.

Eric NH

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wds17. Show wds17's posts

Instead of overpaying to see some aging rockers and go home disappointed, you could have joined us down at Great Woods to see the Zac Brown Band tear it up .... Cool

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beatleguy. Show beatleguy's posts

I was at the show and glad to see that I wasn't the only one upset with the Aeroset. This was a battle of the Boston Bands and Geils kicked Aerosmith's butt. 
    Now there's reports that Steven didn't want Wolf to use the ramp in the front of the stage. Maybe that's why Peter spent a good amount of time out there and laid down at one point.

Let's re-cap:
    Missed Jenny Dee & The Delinquints...heard they were good

J. Geils--Should've played longer...but with that said The "Woofa Goofa" put the pedal to the metal and never looked back as did the rest of the band. He went into the crowd twice!!! I turned to my wife and said "Tyler will not do that tonight" Joe Perry was on the side of the stage for most of the Geils set. Did he not wanna tweak his set list after watching Geils???

Aerosmith- Great intro from Denis Leary. Guys, if you're going to tell us that you started on Comm Ave and have finally ended up at Fenway then how about playing some songs from that time. This was a once in a lifetime show for Boston Music Fans and you gave us a show we could see in Anywhere, USA. As a matter of fact this was almost the same show you did on August 5th!!!! And that audience got a longer encore with Rattlesnake Shake!!! For the money we paid you owed it to us. You had a club across the street from Fenway. How about playing the song that was the name of that place?? You guys were good but not great. We just wanted something a little special from you. The show you did at the Middle East was waaaay better than Fenway and you even "tested" new songs from Nine Lives at that one!!! Aerosmith performed 17 songs, 7 of which from the 70's. I can live with Elevator & Rag Doll but could do without some of the 90's schlock. Call me an Aero purist but where I was sitting no one around me cared about Pink, Fallin' in Love or I don't want to miss a thing. This was your one and only show at Fenway and you gave us the same show we can see at Mohegan Sun on September 4th...Thanks.

Geils had 2 weeks to practice. Aerosmith has been on the road for at least a month and is not promoting a new album. Unlike the Stones, Springsteen & Dave Matthews when they played Fenway. Geils won hands down!!!

Geils set list was perfect.

Aerosmith set list was ok...here's the set list with my suggestions in blue:
    14-Aug-10
    Fenway Park - Boston, MA

Train Kept A Rollin'/Make It
    Love In An Elevator
    Falling In Love/Back In The Saddle
    Livin' On The Edge
    What It Takes/Rats In The Cellar
    Pink/Let The Music Do The Talking
    Last Child
    Cryin/Walkin' The Dog
    --Drum Solo--
    Rag Doll
    --Guitar Hero Joe-/Same Old Song And Dance
    Stop Messin' Around
    I Don't Want To Miss A Thing/You See Me Crying or Seasons Of Wither 
    Come Together
    Sweet Emotion
    Baby Please Don't Go/No More No More
    Draw The Line

Encore:
    Dream On
    Walk This Way

There setlists have been pretty much the same, but here are the "spicey" tracks other venues got that we didn't:

July 23rd- Rats in the Cellar/Lord Of the Thighs/Toys in The Attic
    July 29th- Back In The Saddle/Mama Kin
    Aug 5th-   S.O.S. (Too Bad)/Rattlesnake Shake
    Aug 7th-   One Way Street/Milcow Blues/Walkin' The Dog
    Aug 9th-   Chip Away The Stone

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovestinks. Show lovestinks's posts

J.geils ruled the show such class

aerosmith blew it from the get go.

the chronology of music was out of whack.

should have work there way up from the early years

from album one in consecutive order from the seventies

up to the crap of the eighties. we left five songs into it.

the direspectful crack smokers that thought they sounded like tyler singing at the top of there lungs was too much to take. to bad tyler didn't fall off the green monster!

J. GEILS YOU ROCK WITH CLASS!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldaerofan. Show oldaerofan's posts

Not sure what show some of you were at or what you expected?  This was a one off for Geils so they could cherry pick what they wanted to do.  Aerosmith is in the middle of a tour so they can't just throw songs in the setlist because dinosaurs want to hear them.

Both bands were great.  J.Geils was sloppy like an old bar band but had a lot of energy although I thought Peter Wolfe was going to pass out a couple of times. Aerosmith was polished and showed why they are still on top even when they don't get along.  They sounded great and had an energy level I haven't seen in a long time.  They played songs that ALL of their fans wanted, not just the old farts.  J.Geils played their 3 or 4 hits and that's all they've got.  Compare song catalogs and you can see who is the house band and who is the greatest American rock band of all time.

The bottom line for this show was that anyone under 40 didn't even know who J.Geils was.  They came to hear Aerosmith play the songs that put them back on the map after 1985 with RUN DMC. 

My only complaint is that the two bands couldn't get together on stage just once.  Other than that it was everything my family and I could have hoped!  I think the extra 15 minutes (10:45 - 11:00) was supposed to be for a joint appearance on stage, but Tyler and Wolfe wouldn't do it. 

Get A Grip (no punn intended) people.  It was a great show at a great venue, and history was made and we were there to see it!