Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimstud69. Show jimstud69's posts

Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?

j. geils was amazing aerosmith on the other hand was a disappointment. the only good thing i can say about aerosmith was that tyler sounded better than i ever heard him sing. i have been going to see aerosmith concerts since 1978 and i can honsetly say i went to my last one on aug. 14 2010. i personally believe that steve tyler spent more time on his wardrobe than on the set list.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Omay-Arrylay-Curleycue. Show Omay-Arrylay-Curleycue's posts

The Aerosmith you saw Saturday was the same one we've seen for 25 years. The band played a slick show chock full of thier top 40 hits, with just enough old school Aerosmith to keep the old fans from walking out.

I dont think their original fans (myself included) fault them for the top 40 stuff.  Its a career.  But live you gotta deliver the goods.  Live in Fenway with the JGB for the first and last time, they had a chance to rock that building, to make history and they blew it.   

The J Geils Band on the other hand siezed the day.  The played a great set front to back, heavy on FULL HOUSE and BLOW YOU FACE OUT.  They played the songs that meant the most to them, the songs that meant the most to the Geils fans in the audience.

The Woofa Goofa was, as always, funny, charming and rocked like a mother.  Peter talked a little Boston history, WBCN, his influences (Muddy Waters, etc.).  The band was tight as a ducks as.  They basically reminded you what a J Geils Party was all about.

As someone else noted, Aerosmith is in the middle of a long tour.  J Geils had a couple of weeks to warm up.  You get the feeling Peter Wolf could be in a coma for 5 years, open his eyes, jump up and put in the same show, with the same energy, the same passion, 8 days a week.

The J Geils Band were (are) one of the greatest live acts ever to command a stage. 

Saturday night they made their case once again loud and clear for admission to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.  "Open up the door b**** this is Wooba Gooba with the green teeth - LET ME IN!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jonn. Show Jonn's posts

- Even if Aerosmith are in the middle of a tour you would think they might put in a little extra effort work and time for the Fenway show.
    -History was made just for the fact that the show was in Fenway park but as far as Aerosmith was concerned they didnt do much to "MAKE"  history from their performance.

Now just to give them some benefit of the doubt.  (over all I was disapointed but I did have a good time).
    Perhaps (i dont know if I really think this is the case) Aerosmith misjudged who the audience would be. Just like recent Red Sox games with $95 box seats and I think close to $50 granstands..the fans in the seats are not necessarily the ones who could tell you much about YAZ/Fred Lynn et all or what a balk is..It is more of a cooporate atmosphere.
    So  when initially Aerosmith @ fenway tix sold out in the first 9 minutes when they went on sale I might have thought that the crowd would be people with connections who just want to see and be seen at the summer concert at Fenway event.  These would be the people who would be more familiar with the MTV era songs.  So Aerosmith was going to give those people a show they would like since that was who was going to be in the audience. (though I still would have thought that since historical Fenway gig they would have possibly disapointed the MTV crowd and thrown in more classics).
    When I got to the Fenway area I was surprised and impressed with who was walking down Lansdown street..looked like real rocknroll fans who had been to their share of aerosmith shows not kids with baseball hat backwards wearing urban outfiters plaid shirts..(nothing wrong with that but that wouldnt be a Aerosmith "look"). Also once inside I was impressed with how many Geils fans there were who knew all the songs (i sure dont) So there were tons of Giles/Aersomith fans from back in the day at Fenway which was a pleasant surprise for me, which may have been a surprise that the band Aersomith was not expecting either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beeblebrox. Show beeblebrox's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:

Do you have the Geils set list?

J geils was great! They came  prepared. Played two hours, non-stop and everything their fans wanted to hear. They could and SHOULD  go out on tour tomorrow. Friends on the west coast are dying to see them out there. Its been decades! Aerosmith started out great with Train Kept a Rollin and then it was all down hill from there. They could have made it special with some older or rare songs for their home town fans, but they didn't. They stuck to their regular tour set list and it was a disappointment to a lot of people and long time fans. Did they really have to do PINK when they could have done something more classic like Seasons of Wither? really guys? Come ON! Throw us a dinosaur bone! It was a perfect night to stroll down memory lane with the fans that known you better and longer than anywhere else in the world. We all could have been in Peoria watching  this show with this set list and  no one would have been the wiser. This was THE Boston show  of their career and a special night  for their long time, devoted fans ( that paid out the @@@ for these tickets!) and it could have been so much more and special. But in the end, it looked just like another day at the office for them. Fenway concert Setlist 01. Train Kept A Rollin' 02. Love In An Elevator 03. Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees) 04. Livin' On The Edge 05. What It Takes (Zzzzzz) 06. Pink  ( REALLY?) 07. Last Child 08. Cryin' --Drum Solo-- 09. Rag Doll --Guitar Hero Joe-- (DUMB) 10. Stop Messin' Around (w/Tony & Adrian Perry) 11. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing 12. Come Together 13. Sweet Emotion 14. Baby Please Don't Go (usually great, but tonight it came off as a self indulgent mess) 15. Draw The Line Encore: 16. Dream On 17. Walk This Way Notes: Steven played Dream On at a white baby grand piano, atop the Green Monster! Must have been nice for him.
    Posted by aquanet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjparks. Show rjparks's posts

I am a pretty big and long-time Aerosmith fan and even a bigger Geils fan.  The JGB is my favorite band of them all and when I saw that they were playing with Aerosmith I was pretty excited.  I have seen Geils several times but until Saturday never saw Aerosmith.  Geils were the usual-awesome.  I spent time looking around the crowd to see people's reactions.  EVERYBODY was standing and rocking out -young kids 12-18 years old, the 20 somethings, and the 40+ (my age group) during the whole set.    This is very typical of Geils.  As for Aerosmith,--people were standing but only periodically were they rocking out.  People were sittting down.  I found myself wanting to sit down-I was very disappointed.  Yes they put on a good show with the lights and stage etc-but that is not what most of pay for-that is just the icing on the cake.  Geils you could feel the energy and get caught up in it.  Aerosmith on the otherhand-you were looking for the energy and it could not be sustained.  I would pay to Geils 100 more times-as for Aerosmith I will be satisfied with listening to them on my IPOD.  For the Geils fans-make sure that you check out www.funkyjudge.net --all Geils info--good site.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoadEye. Show RoadEye's posts

J. Geils Band were as tight as they ever were, very engaging and Pete Wolf was more than willing to break down the wall between band and audience, venturing out and leading a conga line around Fenway...Magic Dick, Seth and J shined in their tight but effective solos, and this is a band that truly understands dynamics. Most of their set consisted of gritty R&B stuff from their heyday, but they threw in their 3 pop hits as well....

On the other hand, Aerosmith wanted you to know they are rock stars and posed incessantly. They played a set mixed with very few great rockers ("Last Child" "Come Together") and many lame pop duds ("Falling in Love" "Crazy" "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" "Elevator"). The low point was when Joe Perry "dueled" with his guitar hero avatar, complete with giigantic Guitar Hero logo on the Jumbotrons...No wait, it was actually when he whipped out a theremin ala Jimmy Page, complete with shaky hand movements. The problem was, the guitar dangling from his neck was feeding back so bad, it obliterated the sound of the theremin. Being a family man, he also invited his 2 sons out to jam on a blues shuffle...cool, but maybe not appropriate for 38,000 fans.

All in all it was a great night, but on one hand it seemed like even after thousands of shows, Geils was still hungry, and Aerosmith was very full. Of themselves...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoadEye. Show RoadEye's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there?:
    Not sure what show some of you were at or what you expected?  This was a one off for Geils so they could cherry pick what they wanted to do.  Aerosmith is in the middle of a tour so they can't just throw songs in the setlist because dinosaurs want to hear them. Both bands were great.  J.Geils was sloppy like an old bar band but had a lot of energy although I thought Peter Wolfe was going to pass out a couple of times. Aerosmith was polished and showed why they are still on top even when they don't get along.  They sounded great and had an energy level I haven't seen in a long time.  They played songs that ALL of their fans wanted, not just the old farts.  J.Geils played their 3 or 4 hits and that's all they've got.  Compare song catalogs and you can see who is the house band and who is the greatest American rock band of all time. The bottom line for this show was that anyone under 40 didn't even know who J.Geils was.  They came to hear Aerosmith play the songs that put them back on the map after 1985 with RUN DMC.  My only complaint is that the two bands couldn't get together on stage just once.  Other than that it was everything my family and I could have hoped!  I think the extra 15 minutes (10:45 - 11:00) was supposed to be for a joint appearance on stage, but Tyler and Wolfe wouldn't do it.  Get A Grip (no punn intended) people.  It was a great show at a great venue, and history was made and we were there to see it!
    Posted by oldaerofan

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from peacenik. Show peacenik's posts

For those of you complaining about the set list, here's a conversation backstage before the show.

Brad: I think we should do the usual thing and design the set list for the fans who love everything we've ever done.
    Joey: No, I think we should aim it towards the people who think we've been terrible for the last 30 years. They're obviously our most loyal fans, and they deserve special consideration.
    Tom: Very funny, Joey.
    Steven: Actually, I like the idea of pretending it's still 1978. That way I can do all the drugs I want and nobody'll care.
    Joe: That reminds me. I think we should put Steven on top of the Green Monster so the rest of us don't have to go within 50 feet of him.
    Brad, Joey, and Tom: Yeah!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimstud69. Show jimstud69's posts

Not sure what show some of you were at or what you expected?  This was a one off for Geils so they could cherry pick what they wanted to do.  Aerosmith is in the middle of a tour so they can't just throw songs in the setlist because dinosaurs want to hear them. Both bands were great.  J.Geils was sloppy like an old bar band but had a lot of energy although I thought Peter Wolfe was going to pass out a couple of times. Aerosmith was polished and showed why they are still on top even when they don't get along.  They sounded great and had an energy level I haven't seen in a long time.  They played songs that ALL of their fans wanted, not just the old farts.  J.Geils played their 3 or 4 hits and that's all they've got.  Compare song catalogs and you can see who is the house band and who is the greatest American rock band of all time. The bottom line for this show was that anyone under 40 didn't even know who J.Geils was.  They came to hear Aerosmith play the songs that put them back on the map after 1985 with RUN DMC.  My only complaint is that the two bands couldn't get together on stage just once.  Other than that it was everything my family and I could have hoped!  I think the extra 15 minutes (10:45 - 11:00) was supposed to be for a joint appearance on stage, but Tyler and Wolfe wouldn't do it.  Get A Grip (no punn intended) people.  It was a great show at a great venue, and history was made and we were there to see it!
    Posted by oldaerofan

you must be 20 years old because that is who aerosmith was trying to impress . the set list was as lame as it could get , like i said my last aerosmith show ever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from denism63. Show denism63's posts

You saw the setlist for Aerosmith which SUCKED. T-shirts said "Bad Boys From Boston", but they played sucky sappy tunes for the chicks. J Geils won that battle of the bands, HANDS DOWN. AERO-dudes, your biggest show EVER in Boston, and you blew it…See me for a setlist next time, OK.. Here you go…OLD SCHOOL !!!! Back In The Saddle Same Old Song And Dance Dude Looks Like A Lady Big Ten Inch Mama Kin Jaded Reefer Headed Woman Rats In The Cellar Kings And Queens Lord Of The Thighs Dream On Let The Music Do The Talking Lightning Strikes I Wanna Know Why Other Side Uncle Salty Lick And A Promise Chip Away The Stone Toys In The Attic 1 st Encore: Love In The Elevator Sweet Emotion 2 nd Encore: Walk This Way Train Kept A Rollin’
    Posted by davesep1964

That really does horrible you didn't get at least a handful of the songs from the  stellar list you posted above. I got to see them the week before here in Tampa, FL and thought for sure they were practicing for the Boston show...

Train Kept A Rollin'
    Love In An Elevator
    Falling In Love
    Livin' On The Edge
    What It Takes
    Pink
    Last Child
    Cryin'
    --Drum Solo--
    Come Together
    --Guitar Hero Joe--
    Stop Messin' Around
    I Don't Want To Miss A Thing
    One Way Street
    Sweet Emotion
    Baby Please Don't Go
    Draw The Line

Encore:
     Dream On
    Walk This Way
    Toys In The Attic
    Milkcow Blues
    Walkin' The Dog

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ng5. Show ng5's posts

With all due respect I think your assumption that nobody younger than 40 knew or cared about Geils is a little skewed.  I'm 32 and new every word to every song and thought they wailed from the begining to end.  Even the 20 something women dressed like skanks rocked to Cruisin' for a love.  Yes is was easier for Geils to pick their songs (tends to happen when your last album was in the early 80's) but Aerosmith blew it.  I love them and was happy to see them even if they played Angel all night given the events of the last year but, they should have stepped up for Fenway.  Seasons of wither, Mama kin, Chip away at the stone, Big 10 inch, etc would have been sweet let alone a longer or 2nd encore.  I was happy just to see both bands but I though Tyler/Perry would have had more respect for the fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cincheetah. Show Cincheetah's posts

I would agree with some of the comments about Aerosmith's set list - however, Steven still has the pipes and Dream On was just awesome. My video isn't the greatest - but for those of you who haven't seen this"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWLTeY3l1hQ
    Enjoy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kvergakes. Show kvergakes's posts

J. Geils were great! It was like 1977 at the cape cod coliseum. Magic Dick was the best. 1st time for Areosmith was ok, Dream on was the best. Went to gillette stadium to see Bon Jovi couple of weeks ago, sound was much better. But Fenway park with two boston great bands, well worth the $$$ and effort!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgstein. Show mgstein's posts

The Geils Band grooved and had a crisp, tight sound.  I'm in my 40s and have seen a few concerts over the years and Geils was one of the best shows I saw decades ago and it was amazing how the vibe was still there.  I've seen Aerosmith multiple times over the years and have to say I was not thrilled with their portion.  Too many weak tunes (the older stuff can't be touched) a mushy sound at times (didn't they sound check?) and for an older crowd my thought is we don't all want to see the stadium rock star nonsense -- cool when your a teen or in early 20s, but I'd rather hear the band jam and see what they can still do.  I love Joe Perry, but the licks coming off guitar player sounded better than his over distorted playing and I don't need the cliche smashing of a guitar and all the band members multiple solos.  Cut that crap out and fit in more tunes from what made your original fans fall in love with you.  I rocked to Geils and almost fell asleep during some of Aerosmith's ballads.  In the end, it was a happening and still very cool to be there and a concert to be remembered.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgstein. Show mgstein's posts

In Response to Re: Aerosmith and the J. Geils Band at Fenway -- were you there? : you must be 20 years old because that is who aerosmith was trying to impress . the set list was as lame as it could get , like i said my last aerosmith show ever.
    Posted by jimstud69

Listen, there must have been tons of musicians in the audience.   Geils had groove, interplay, and tight sound and all the elements that bands strive for.  Aerosmith were good, but too much stadium nonsense and not on top of their game.  Too much playing rockstar and not showing what they can still do as a band.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1325COMMONWEALTH. Show 1325COMMONWEALTH's posts

I was there and it was G-R-E-A-T!!!!  You can't go wrong with 2 bands from Boston.  Both were at the top of their game and Mr. Tyler looks good!!!  The night was worth it and I had a blast.  Wish they both would come back around again.  Rock on!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks like J Geils Band blew Aerosmith back to Sunapee right? ;-)

I didn't get to go but, I know what I was thinking when I first heard of this show coming to Fenway: Aerosmith better be prepared because I know Peter Wolf and gang will be ripping it up! Perhaps the little to-do with Peter and Steven before the show fired Peter up! I'm betting Steven wishes he didn't tick him off now. 

To me, J Geils hasn't lost the fire that got them where they are (were). Always loved Peter Wolf. I just want to know if he did that rabbit jump thing he does! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NJ-Exit-63. Show NJ-Exit-63's posts

Peter Wolf, you are now the official king of Boston!  Great show, woofa goofa.

Sections
Shortcuts