Album Misfires (and more)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Album Misfires (and more)

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

[QUOTE]

Shoegaze was never really critically popular, and it was kind of beside the point to compare every album of the genre to MBV's "Loveless"...just like it would be comparing every pop group to the beatles.

The other ugly truth is that female-fronted rock bands often don't get the respect they deserve.  Period.

I mentioned Kristin Hersh earlier...why Throwing Muses isn't recognized as one of the craftiest, original bands of the 90s and 'grunge' era is an utter mystery and an insult.  And it's not just critical acclaim, it's about avoiding the double standard of female songwriters being hailed not for the depth and intelligence of their work but only for the 'female perspective' or as only a counterpoint to traditionally male idioms.

Sorry...rant over.

RE: Female fronted bands / respect and their staying power, I agree.  I think we've had a thread on this topic, but it wouldn't be a bad one to revisit.  

RE: Kristen Hersh.   I'm sorry to say this, b/c it's not music-related criticism, but she's written 2 books, and one is a memoir and reveals her struggles with depression.  I'm not sure concisely why, but her reasoning for writing this book perplexed me, and reduced her stature for me.    If she's a writer now, that's fine, but did the world need a full book about her life?   $$$.   Again, all I can say is that it turned me off, and if that's irrational on my part, so be it.  =)

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.  Having not read the books, I really couldn't say, much less speculate on her motivations.  

However, it's a fact that she's struggled with bipolar disorder for a long time...which only underscores, to me, the quality and breadth of her production as a musician and songwriter.

(We've touched before on the mental health aspects of creativity and how they manifest themselves in the pressure cooker of fame.  Hersh's story, I think, is both common and unique in that sense.)

Relatedly, I recently read the book written by Mark Sandman's mother (Four Minus Three; A Mother's Story) about her life and the deaths of three - all male - of her four children.  Even in the remote interest of catharsis, it's a worth-while book about motherhood and loss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

(We've touched before on the mental health aspects of creativity and how they manifest themselves in the pressure cooker of fame.  Hersh's story, I think, is both common and unique in that sense.)

Relatedly, I recently read the book written by Mark Sandman's mother (Four Minus Three; A Mother's Story) about her life and the deaths of three - all male - of her four children.  Even in the remote interest of catharsis, it's a worth-while book about motherhood and loss.

Many of the comments I read re: Hersh's book were positive; it seemed that most of the people who read it thought it was excellent.   I don't know why it bothered me, because I don't fault celebrities (or at least anyone in the public eye) who comes forward to discuss or reveal their personal struggles, whether it be mental or physical health.  If anything, there are countless people in the shadows who find comfort, if not inspiration, from the sharing of these personal stories and journies.   Believe it or not, there's a very famous yoga guru who wrote a memoir that makes her achievement in yoga all the more unbelievable.  (she's major league, known internationally) -- (Of course there are people who criticized her for writing the book, but I'm among them -- =)   ) .      And I do think there's an element of catharsis, too, as you have said, in writing.  

Speaking of personal struggles, I read a couple of weeks ago, and it seems to have hit the mainstream news this week, that Linda Ronstadt is no longer able to sing, as a result of her advance Parkinson's Disease.    Can you believe that?   She also has written a book.

I tried to get hold of Mark's mother's book a while back, to no avail.  I'll have to try again. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Speaking of personal struggles, I read a couple of weeks ago, and it seems to have hit the mainstream news this week, that Linda Ronstadt is no longer able to sing, as a result of her advance Parkinson's Disease.    Can you believe that?   She also has written a book.

I tried to get hold of Mark's mother's book a while back, to no avail.  I'll have to try again. 

I was thinking about starting a thread about Linda Rondstadt when I first heard about it. Sad to see her beautiful voice silenced. Parkinson's disease can take away a lot from a person, as I witnessed with my Dad. Nice to see that Michael J. Fox is making another foray into a new TV series. My wife and I are big fans of his. He did a nice job as a guest star in some episodes of The Good Wife.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

[QUOTE]

I was thinking about starting a thread about Linda Rondstadt when I first heard about it. Sad to see her beautiful voice silenced. Parkinson's disease can take away a lot from a person, as I witnessed with my Dad. Nice to see that Michael J. Fox is making another foray into a new TV series. My wife and I are big fans of his. He did a nice job as a guest star in some episodes of The Good Wife.

[/QUOTE]

It is a sad fate for a singer, let alone a songbird who was once also a beautiful presence on stage (one of her album covers has been posted here many times as an all-time fave, and is very sexy).   It takes so much courage for anyone, let alone a woman whose appearance has been altered so radically, to step forward, to try to help other people, and give visibility to a disease.  Vocal chords can go awry on any singer (famously, the young Adele, as you probably recall, had surgery for a vocal chord issue) but to know Ronstadt is permanently silenced because of Parkinson's is a heartbreaker.   So sorry re: you Dad as well.    It's astonishing how Michaal J. Fox has been able to carry on as well as he has; bravo to him.   I love his guest stints on "TGW."  He has said that since he was stricken at a young age, his children really never knew him "pre-Parkinson's" so they just accept him as a "full service" person and father the way he is.    Pretty "cool", huh?  (he easily fits into the category of "cool" ... =)  )    

Thanks for sharing.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I think Elvis Costello started to lose it with Punch the Clock and especially Goodbye Cruel World. I have remained a fan through it all but for me he never recorded another album to rival any of his first six albums of original material, ending with Imperial Bedroom. I know there are many fans he picked up who thought some of his albums after that were brilliant. For me it wasn't because he tried new things but that the new things that he tried were not executed very well. I don't care if an artist explores different styles as long as he does them well. There are two other similar performers from that same time period who I think did a better job of of sticking to what they do best, with a few missteps now and then: Joe Jackson and Graham Parker.

Nice assessment, BTW.   I always find it fun to read the forum members' opinions re: a band based on albums, and if there was a line of demarcation from what was once sweet, to when it turned sour (at least to the person posting, which, may at times be a consensus opinion).     

A couple of years ago I got into a band that was formed in 1984; they're called Yo La Tengo.  To say I'd have to backtrack to select an album, is an understatement.   There is such a difference of opinion as to when they fell in and out of favor with fans.   Funny, too, but they have remained a bit of a "cult" band all these years, and since they have never been mainstream, they tend to have very loyal, rabid, and *opinionated* fans, if you know what I mean.  They finally released a new album just this year, so I snatched it up and decided to make it my first.   Of course, for long-standing fans, it drew many comparisons based on their full catalog, both good and fair.   But hey, we all have to start somewhere.