Album of the Decade.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Album of the Decade.

Reading the news this morning , I stumbled upon a story where Lady Gag-me says she hopes her next release (due in May) will become "album of the decade." Well, we'll have about 9 and a 1/2 years to find out...the decade began less than 6 weeks ago. Good luck with that!

Let's expand on this thought, for a moment, or 15 minutes ( about what most pop music artsists should have for their fame), and think of what album we would vote for ourselves for the following decades ( well, albums weren't the BIG thing until the 60's so we'll start there).

1960's, 1970's , 1980's , 1990's , 2000-2010. 

My choices without giving tons of thought:
    60's- Cream - Disraeli Gears.
    70's- This Year's Model-Elvis Costello
    80's- The Smiths - The Smiths
    90's-(tie)Ragged Glory-Neil Young/Violator-Depeche Mode
    2000-10-American Idiot-Green Day

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Album of the Decade.

So many great albums to choose from, but if I were to pick five( or so) that really stood out for me:

60's - Revolver- Beatles

70's- Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd

80's (tie)The Smiths- Meat is Murder/ Unforgettable Fire-U2 

90's - (Tie)Ten- Pearl Jam/ Jar of Flies -AIC 

2000-10 -In Rainbows- Radiohead

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Too hard, but I'll try my best:

60s: Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
    70s: (tie) Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. / Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    80s: Prince - Sign O' The Times
    90s: Radiohead - OK Computer
    00s: (tie) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots / My Morning Jacket - Z

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is way too difficult as I must try and be objective:

60's - Revolver (Beatles) This was the easiest
    70's - Night at the Opera (Queen) This was the hardest
    80's - London Calling (Clash)
    90's - Dirt (Alice In Chains)
    00's - One by One (Foo Fighters)

Honorable mention (I always have to do this)

60's - Are You Experienced (Hendrix), Pet Sounds (Beach Boys); Sgt. Pepper (Beatles)

70's - Toys in the Attic (Aerosmith) Led Zeppelin III (Zep), Harvest (Neil Young)

80's - Pyromania (Def Leppard), Appetite for Destruction (Guns and Roses)

90's - Ten (Pearl Jam); OK Computer (Radiohead)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

60's - Sgt.Pepper, Beatles

70's - Born To Run, Bruce Springsteen

80's - Josha Tree, U2

90's - Never Mind, Nirvana

00's - American Idiot, Green Day 

Ditto - The 00's did s&%$!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

60's - Revolver - Beatles
    70's - Time Fades Away- Neil Young
    80's - Unforgettable Fire - U2 
    90's - The Bends - Radiohead
    00's - Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins

This is how I feel today, if you were to ask tomorrow I'm sure they would not be the same

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

60's Sgt. Pepper
    70's Quadrophenia
    80's Appetite for Destruction
    90's Achtung Baby
    00's American Idiot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Album of the Decade.:
    [QUOTE]60's - Revolver - Beatles 70's - Time Fades Away- Neil Young 80's - Unforgettable Fire - U2  90's - The Bends - Radiohead 00's - Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins This is how I feel today, if you were to ask tomorrow I'm sure they would not be the same
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Interesting choice for the 70's with Neil's massively under-rated gem , 'Time Fades Away' ...I thought , at times, maybe, I was the only one who liked this LP, but sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who ever bought it. Took me years to find it on CD and when I finally did it was  homemade CD-R, but I am not complaining , it was copied very well and sounds great.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Album of the Decade. : Interesting choice for the 70's with Neil's massively under-rated gem , 'Time Fades Away' ...I thought , at times, maybe, I was the only one who liked this LP, but sometimes I wonder if I was the only one who ever bought it. Took me years to find it on CD and when I finally did it was  homemade CD-R, but I am not complaining , it was copied very well and sounds great.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Of all the decades the '70s was the hardest for me to pick(it was a decade of the R&R album).  Like I said I was just feeling that LP today,  I think I tend to get tired of so many of the great ones from that decade which, though great, are over-played.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ok, here's my take:

60's: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (Simon and Garfunkel)
    70's: Who's Next (The Who)  / After the Goldrush  (Neil Young)
    80's: The Smiths  (The Smiths)  / 1999  (Prince)
    90's: Achtung, Baby  (U2)  / Grace  (Jeff Buckley)
    00's: Elephant (White Stripes)

(have a killer cover to log over in the cover thread from the White Stripes I just remembered)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

60s - Beatles/Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    70s - Bruce Springsteen/Born To Run
    80s - U2/The Joshua Tree
    90s - REM/Automatic For The People
    00s - Kaiser Chiefs/Employment

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

70s - The Clash - London Calling
    80s - Pixies - Doolittle
    90s - Radiohead - OK Computer
            Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    00s - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
            And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Source Tags and Codes

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Album of the Decade. : Like the Quadro pick.  Definately my favorite Who album, and the the remix is much better than the original (which is on vinly anyway).
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear the remix sometime.  The original has a murky sound (perhaps appropriate considering all the water in the settings and the themes). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

gah, i hate american idiot with a passion. the radio doesn't play good music anymore. for those who included it in the list, i suggest looking into the 00's a little further...there is a LOT of really, really good music that came out. i can assist if anyone would like some guidance.

i was unclear as to whether i needed to post IMO the most influential or the one that I like the best...

60's - Abbey Road - les beatles
    70's - zep IV (closely followed by exile on main st. and dark side of the moon)
    80's - joshua tree - u2
    90's - OK computer - radiohead
    00's - Illinois - Sufjan Stevens (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) (toss up with kid A)

shout out to matty for including flaming lips i and stalking butler for including neutral milk hotel

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

60's Kinks by The Kinks
    70's The Clash  by The Clash
    80's Rum Sodomy and the Lash by the Pogues
    90's Bossanova The Pixies
    2000 - Blood Visions Jay Reatard

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Interesting, ...we had 'London Calling' by the Clash listed as a 70's LP and also as an 80's LP.

The judge (me) has decided to allow both as he (me) is a huge fan of the Clash and is very ashamed at not listing this LP himself.

"The sheik he drove his Cadillac...he went cruisin' down the ville...the muezzin was a standin'...on the radiator grille!!!...SHARIA DON'T LIKE IT...ROCKIN' THE CASBAH, ROCKIN' THE CASBAH..."( I know , that song wasn't on that album, but I couldn't help it).

phsmith8...I really don't have lots of music from after 2000, I just picked one that I remember...I am getting older and have a fondness for many things of the past, I guess. I am sure that you can be a better judge of that decade than I am....I will make you the judge on anything from 1990-2011, but I gotta keep my authority on music from 70's and 80's...it is, after all my thread."Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting, ...we had 'London Calling' by the Clash listed as a 70's LP and also as an 80's LP. The judge (me) has decided to allow both as he (me) is a huge fan of the Clash and is very ashamed at not listing this LP himself. "The sheik he drove his Cadillac...he went cruisin' down the ville...the muezzin was a standin'...on the radiator grille!!!...SHARIA DON'T LIKE IT...ROCKIN' THE CASBAH, ROCKIN' THE CASBAH..."( I know , that song wasn't on that album, but I couldn't help it). phsmith8...I really don't have lots of music from after 2000, I just picked one that I remember...I am getting older and have a fondness for many things of the past, I guess. I am sure that you can be a better judge of that decade than I am....I will make you the judge on anything from 1990-2011, but I gotta keep my authority on music from 70's and 80's...it is, after all my thread."

thanks big guy...matty sure knows a hell of a lot about the more recent years too.

much respect to the zillagod

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Album of the Decade. : thanks big guy...matty sure knows a hell of a lot about the more recent years too. much respect to the zillagod
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Guys like you and Matty are hearby considered "Grand Exhalted Music Geniuses of the Younger Generation."

Me, I am a dinosaur.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i love that title!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

London Calling was named album of the decade for the 80's by several music rags way back when. It was recorded in "79" and released in England on 12/14/79. It was released here in the states after the New Year. It is considered by most to be an 80's album.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Album of the Decade. : Guys like you and Matty are hearby considered "Grand Exhalted Music Geniuses of the Younger Generation." Me, I am a dinosaur.

All hail to the Rock-a-saurus...!!

I am but a humble messenger with a wicked penchant for name-dropping... but as the song says,

"Round, round, get around / I get around / yeah / get around, round, round / I get around..."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

All hail to the Rock-a-saurus...!!

I am but a humble messenger with a wicked penchant for name-dropping...
    _______________--

ditto to the max

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

60s: Abbey Road, Beatles.
    70s: Who's Next, Who/Darkness on the Edge of Town, Springsteen.
    80s: London Calling, Clash.
    90s: Ten, Pearl Jam.
    00s: A Rush of Blood to the Head, Coldplay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, here's my take: 60's: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (Simon and Garfunkel) 70's: Who's Next (The Who)  / After the Goldrush  (Neil Young) 80's: The Smiths  (The Smiths)  / 1999  (Prince) 90's: Achtung, Baby  (U2)  / Grace  (Jeff Buckley) 00's: Elephant (White Stripes) (have a killer cover to log over in the cover thread from the White Stripes I just remembered)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]Nice call on who's next

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Album of the Decade. : Nice call on who's next
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Who's Next is in many respects a better album than my choice, Quadrophenia.  They are both colossal albums.  I love Quadrophenia because of how ambitious it is.  Who's Next was originally intended to be a concept album itself, called 'Lifehouse' I think, but Pete couldn't finish it off.