Album spotlight: The Waterboys - An Appointment With Mr. Yeats - a new classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Album spotlight: The Waterboys - An Appointment With Mr. Yeats - a new classic

Take the wild, weird, gorgeous, moving, spine-tingling, terrifying poems of William Butler Yeats, and set them to a set of tunes that matches the poems perfectly.  Sounds like a pretty good album, doesn't it?

It may be a new classic album IMO.

I fell into this album quite by accident.  I heard on the radio that they were doing a gig in Halifax.  We have their greatest hits albums which is centrepieced by the anthemic 'Fisherman's Blues'.  My wife really likes them so I ordered the tickets promptly. 

The show was great - Celtic rock with many different twists along the way.  I was intrigued by the sampling of songs they played from this new album.  When I got home I read up about it.  On Amazon.uk you can find 51 reviews of it, with 33 5 star ratings, and 13 4 stars.  And some very well-written reviews.

Happily some of the tracks are up on YouTube and I'll post a few of them.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Album spotlight: The Waterboys - An Appointment With Mr. Yeats - a new classic

I'm going to start with the closing song, which is a haunting little masterpiece called 'The Faery's Last Song.'  The female voice is Irish singer Katie Kim, who appears on several other tracks as well.

The person who put up this video and some others did a very nice job with the visuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCSePtGLl8Y&list=RD02uOG8J9DeEKo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Album spotlight: The Waterboys - An Appointment With Mr. Yeats - a new classic

Now here's a really dark and creepy one.  A twisted nursery rhyme if ever there was! 

How can you not love a poem that begins with these lines:

I sing a song of Jack and Jill

Jill had murdered Jack

This track is only 2:09 long.  Nice heavy guitar riff, great vocal. 

Nicely done visuals here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQJTteC6jCg

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Great band, great album. Glad you got to see them live.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I'm going to start with the closing song, which is a haunting little masterpiece called 'The Faery's Last Song.'  The female voice is Irish singer Katie Kim, who appears on several other tracks as well.

The person who put up this video and some others did a very nice job with the visuals.

Now this is not something I would ever have pegged as being to your liking.  Interesting.

"A Full Moon in March" much moreso, though.   Overall, they seem to have a wide range on the album. 

I am a big fan of Celtic music, although the genre is wide open for interpretation and sub-groupings as it varies just as much as rock music does these days.    I'd have to listen to a number of songs to make an assessment for myself, although I love "Fisherman's Blues" (must be amazing to hear them play it live)  as it's very well known; it's played on the Celtic Sojourn once in a while, too, a Celtic radio show I try to catch whenever possible.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Also dig the Waterboys, and "Fisherman's Blues" is a terrific album. Never saw them live but always wanted to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is the song that was released as a single in the UK, 'Sweet Dancer'.  A very pretty song with a stick-in-the-head melodic hook.  This is Yeats in his best 'joie de vivre' mode.

Features the electric violin that is a big part of the Waterboys' sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLp1KL2uLUY

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Hey Hfx thanks for the post and the link.....sounds good!

I don't know why but I hate posts that rave about a group/artist that a poster thinks is worth listening to but there's no link to a video to support the post......guess I'm just lazy....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Hey Hfx thanks for the post and the link.....sounds good!

I don't know why but I hate posts that rave about a group/artist that a poster thinks is worth listening to but there's no link to a video to support the post......guess I'm just lazy....

Glad you liked it.  This is a fantastic album, I can't say enough about it.  One of those albums that is a complete head trip like some of the prog rock concept classics from the Seventies.  But it's fresh.  You can tell that a pile of thought and work went into it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

My favorite Waterboys tune has always been Glastonbury Song.. Great catchy tune

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

OK a few more songs and for these I'll put the poems up.

September 1913 is one of Yeats' most famous poems.  It's full of historical and political commentary, and it's angry.  Though the names will be unfamiliar unless you know your Irish history.

It would seem to be a tough poem to put to music, but the Waterboys pull it off with a dark, growly, piano-guitar groove and melody, and a passionate vocal by Mike Scott.  Then at the end Katie Kim adds her spooky incantations of 'in the grave'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOG8J9DeEKo

What need you, being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone?
    For men were born to pray and save:
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

Yet they were of a different kind,
    The names that stilled your childish play,
    They have gone about the world like wind,
    But little time had they to pray
    For whom the hangman's rope was spun,
    And what, God help us, could they save?
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

Was it for this the wild geese spread