Alice Cooper

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Alice Cooper

My apoligies if this one has been started before, but Alice is one of those acts that I didn't like at the time but to which I've recently come around. Back when he was big, I dismissed him as a novelty act, a clown. But as I got older (wisdom comes with age, right?) I began to realize how good his stuff was.

"I'm Eighteen" is such a fantastic song. And of course, "School's Out," "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy." But I also liked "Only Women Bleed," a big-time departure for him.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Alice Cooper

I kind of lost track of Alice Cooper around 1980. A few years back I bought the 4 disc box set, "the Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper"-great title. Beyond the hits that everyone knows were quite a few gems I had never or rarely heard before, which made me realize that the Alice Cooper era did not in the 70's. 'Hey Stoopid' is one of the best anti-drug songs since Skykyrd's 'That Smell'. 'I Love America' , 'Go to Hell' , and the cover song 'Got a Line on You' are some of my favorites besides the all-time great Alice songs, 'I'm Eighteen', 'Be My Lover', 'School's Out','No More Mr. Nice Guy'and 'Billion Dollar Babies'.

Alice Cooper is the Rock'n'Roller that your mother and father didn't want to know about, didn't want to hear about and didn't want you listening to.

So we all played "School's Out" and loved every minute of it!...and when it was over we picked up the needle and played it again. Admit it, the rebelious youth inside you was an Alice Cooper fan. Because no teenage kid who loved playing outside and having lots of fun really liked school very much...and here was a guy singing about blowing the bloody place to bits!!!...lovely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Alice Cooper to me was like Frank Zappa. You go to the record store, you see his posters all the time, you know he's a big star, but you're not very fimiliar with his work, other than his on-stage theatricals. School's Out was a huge song however. Everybody knew that song.

Googling him up, I noticed that he has a similar profile to Marilyn Manson .... from a religious background to trying to bug parents. Manson however went way over the line. Cooper not so much, as he kinda has reached mainstream status, at least compared to what he used to be like, as noted by his appearance with the Muppets performing School's Out For Summer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am always torn with this conversation.

Alice Cooper the artist is a legendary vaudeville artist who just happened to write some great music. Truthfully, the last song I enjoyed by him was "Poison". But he knew how to push the envelope but never took anything seriously except his drinking..

The Alice Cooper Band - Gods in the world of Hard Rock. Everything up to and including Muscle of Love were some of the best music to come out of the 70's. Glen Buxton could shred. Billion Dollar Babies is as important to the early 70's as Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust.

The Alice Cooper Band was the poster on my bedroom wall when I was 14. As I believe Zilla said, this is what my father used to point at and scream that I better never look like that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As with some other artists like Queen, I have a lot of affection for some of the lesser-known tracks that lurk behind the hits.  Such as the masterpiece 'Halo of Flies' from Killer, and 'Luney Tune' and 'My Stars' from School's Out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Alice Cooper:
    As with some other artists like Queen, I have a lot of affection for some of the lesser-known tracks that lurk behind the hits.  Such as the masterpiece 'Halo of Flies' from Killer, and 'Luney Tune' and 'My Stars' from School's Out. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Agreed. And here is one that I deliver to all my friends in RSN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XL0G9EFWSY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

i wore out the Killer album

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I was never a huge Alice Cooper fan, but I do like some of his stuff. 

I really like Poison, School's Out. What's amazing is how he has some real hard-rocking stuff like that and then has a real sweet song like "You and Me."

And I agree with lloyd. I dismissed him as a novelty act early and actually grew to appreciate him more as I got older.

And he was always fun when he's interviewed or popped up on something like The Muppets. He was funny in a cameo appearance on an episode of Monk where he doesn't have any dialogue, just acting out a scenario where he supposedly killed a union leader because he wanted an wing-back chair.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

A few years back, Schools Out was played over the intercom, by the teachers, ten minutes after the students left for Summer vacation, at a certain Cleveland public school !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Only one thing that burns me about Alice.  He decided to take up golf later in life and found he was a natural at it.  I think he's a scratch handicap or close to it.  That's just not right. 

Sections
Shortcuts