All I'm askin' in return, Honey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

All I'm askin' in return, Honey

In honor of Aretha, here's a thread to give props (or as Aretha said back in the day, propers -- and I love that word) to bands, solo artists, any one, any genre, any era -- but a musical artist out there that you want to praise, despite the fact that you don't really enjoy listening to them, due to your taste and preferences. 

So taste and preferences aside, who would you like pay props to right now, someone we might not have even discussed on the forum much (if at all), or someone who has taken a beating, perhaps --- but deep down you know they really do have the pipes and the talent. 

Thoughts, anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: All I'm askin' in return, honey

JANIS IS THE BEST SINGER OF ALL TIME

....Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

James Brown & Ray Charles.

Never thought much about either when I was younger.

James Brown is indeed Soul Brother #1. Possibly the greatest live act in the history of music. And he spoke to the brothers after the shooting of MLK...and stopped what could have been an ugly riot.

Ray Charles is just awesome. In the words of Geraldine ( the character played by Flip Wilson) "I love Ray Charles, baby!"  The man has too much soul for one human being to possibly possess.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wow Zil, this is scary. I came to appreciate both James Brown and Ray Charles in my later years. They are both amazing indeed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i think journey was really talented...i don't like listening to them, but steve perry's voice is immaculate

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: All I'm askin' in return, Honey

I have to go with Alicia Keys and Christina Aguilera as they come to mind immediately. 

Their musical styles are not what I listen to, but I can't deny that they both have amazing voices.  When you hear someone trying to pull off a song the way Aguilera does (the National Anthem notwithstanding), it's a far cry from her original version.

PS  Janis might not be so bad if I give her a chance :D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hot chicks with good voices but (mostly) bad material

Fergie
    Avril Lavigne
    Katy Perry

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For the ladies; she is not Rock and Roll, but Barbara Streisand does have a voice.

As for the lady rockers, Terri Nunn from Berlin

And for the guys, we keep missing one singer who some consider soul and his name is Otis Redding. Now he could sing - another one who would have achieved such amazing heights as a recording artist if his life had not been cut short.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i dont like the eagles, either

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I also have come to respect the whole Soul and Funk styles in the 70's.

Johnny 'Guitar' Watson,Sly and the Family Stone, George Clinton and Bootsy Collins are so cool. The Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, The O'Jays...great stuff!

I guess when I was younger , I thought you had to be black to appreciate this music.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: All I'm askin' in return, honey:
    James Brown & Ray Charles. Never thought much about either when I was younger. James Brown is indeed Soul Brother #1. Possibly the greatest live act in the history of music. And he spoke to the brothers after the shooting of MLK...and stopped what could have been an ugly riot. Ray Charles is just awesome. In the words of Geraldine ( the character played by Flip Wilson) "I love Ray Charles, baby!"  The man has too much soul for one human being to possibly possess.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    I was going to say James Brown. My alternative input is Rufus and Carla Thomas. They recorded the original version of walkin' the dog on Stax records with Booker T. Jones, Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper in the rhythm section.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I would say Elton John.. Not into his music at all but I totally repsect the mans amazing talent.. I don't have one EJ song on my ipod but nonetheless good on him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

A few:

Richard Thompson - brilliant in so many ways, but for various reasons, I can only take him in small doses - same with Fairport Convention ("Shoot Out The Lights", excepted...I can listen to "Wall Of Death" all day.).

Similarly, among folkies: Joan Baez - ultimately a dignified, literate songwriter but a bit too strident for regular listening.

Lindsay Buckingham - I find earlier Fleetwood Mac much more compelling and interesting, but it was never due to his skills on the guitar or in the studio.  An underrated axeman, if only because he joined an already seasoned, professional group, yet capable of mighty pyrotechnics seemingly out of nowhere. 

Billy Joel/Elton John - I can probably count the number of [their] songs I like on both hands, but there's a reason [they've] sold so many records; [they] know [their] way around a hook [esp. EJ w/ B. Taupin] and harken back to brill bldg.-type pro songwriting that's scarce these days.  And without [them], there's probably no Ben Folds, so there's that, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: All I'm askin' in return, honey:
    Someone I respect, but don't listen to? That one is easy:  The Beatles. They are far superior in every way to the Rolling Stones.  And yet I will pull out a Stones CD 20 times for every 1 time I reach for the Beatles.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

I realize it isn't the point of the thread to point out irony, but I simply love this post. What does it tell you about music that someone can admit that he thinks such-and-such band is "better in every way," and yet . . .  he chooses (20 times out of 21) to listen to some other band.

I wonder, sometimes, why people just can't come right out and say what they mean.

"Sure . . .  the Beatles are way 'better,' but I always listen to the Stones."

Is it just me?

Is there some law against admitting that The Beatles topped out 40 years ago and the Stones suffer by comparison only -- ONLY -- because they've continued to move with the times . . .   and have a catalogue to show it . . .  while the Beatles are "iconic" for no better reason than because they couldn't hold it together.

Look . . .   I used to like getting high as much as the next guy, but if you give me a choice between immortality and Yoko Banoko . . .  I'm gonna choose immortality every time.

But maybe that's just me.

Is it right that stuff that happened a long time ago should become more important simply because more time passes.

Has it occured to anyone besides me that the reason John was a recluse (by and large) was because -- without the group -- he was a fraud?

Or do you all stay up nights listening to Double Fantasy?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Could it just be that some bands are greater than the sum of their parts...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: All I'm askin' in return, Honey:
    Could it just be that some bands are greater than the sum of their parts...?
    Posted by MattyScornD

Some bands?

I would suggest that almost every band that makes a lasting mark -- few as those may be -- is greater than the sum of its parts. Sure . . .  people like to genuflect at the altar of John Lennon -- and make more of him than he was -- because he had the historic (mis)fortune to get a bullet in him long after his relevance was forfeit. It's hard, and it's cold, but the truth is that Lennon's legend is magnified to a certain extent because he didn't make it. There's an entire thread about this particular phenomena waiting to happen, but I've always been a bit confused as to why Paul has always had to bear the brunt of the fact that the great genius -- Lennon -- did absolutely nothing after the break-up of the Beatles.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Except get shot.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Yeah that Imagine song really went nowhere

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: All I'm askin' in return, Honey :  There's an entire thread about this particular phenomena waiting to happen, but I've always been a bit confused as to why Paul has always had to bear the brunt of the fact that the great genius -- Lennon -- did absolutely nothing after the break-up of the Beatles. Nothing. Nothing at all. Except get shot.
    Posted by p-mike

p-mike, I hesitate to remind you, but you have brought this up before, and you initiated a thread on Lennon's lack of talent and his over-rated stature a few months ago (around the anniversary of his death, no doubt). 

Any time you want to discuss a topic on the forum  -- doesn't have to be a "thread waiting to happen"  --  go for it.  Then we can all respond and give you feedback on your opinion(s) for a change. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: All I'm askin' in return, Honey : Some bands? I would suggest that almost every band that makes a lasting mark -- few as those may be -- is greater than the sum of its parts. Sure . . .  people like to genuflect at the altar of John Lennon -- and make more of him than he was -- because he had the historic (mis)fortune to get a bullet in him long after his relevance was forfeit. It's hard, and it's cold, but the truth is that Lennon's legend is magnified to a certain extent because he didn't make it. There's an entire thread about this particular phenomena waiting to happen, but I've always been a bit confused as to why Paul has always had to bear the brunt of the fact that the great genius -- Lennon -- did absolutely nothing after the break-up of the Beatles. Nothing. Nothing at all. Except get shot.
    Posted by p-mike

A bit of flawed logic: oftentimes, bands break up because there are opposing creative personalities that follow different paths and become unable to work together.  But sometimes an artist just advances faster and farther than the group structure might allow, but from the outside looking in, it is hard to truly know the difference.

However, exceptional artists somehow find a way to keep creating quality work beyond their original success and support structure.  Sometimes it falls flat, and sometimes the work soars even higher, but in either case, there are no time machines to go back and be "the new thing" again.

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but Lennon was not an artistic failure as a solo artist, even when measured against the monumental body of work he created with the Beatles.  Except perhaps for Ringo (the perpetual sideman), all three of the principles made important artistic statements after the breakup. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sting's latest, Songs from the Labyrinth, exposes his mastery of his voice as an exquisite precision instrument which he has perfect control over.  A complete departure from his Police and even solo pop days, he challenged himself to the extreme with that project, and succeeded on every level.  Awesome voice.  Total surprise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sting's latest, Songs from the Labyrinth, exposes his mastery of his voice as an exquisite precision instrument which he has perfect control over.  A complete departure from his Police and even solo pop days, he challenged himself to the extreme with that project, and succeeded on every level.  Awesome voice.  Total surprise.
    Posted by kargiver

Hi Kar!
    Hey, but you already love Sting.  And we know that. 
    Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, you caught me, Sting IS the man, absolutely (early, middle, late).   But, in fairness, I was truly being as objective as possible in my contribution to the theme with that one.  Give it a listen - the intervals are impossible and yet perfectly executed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Interesting take Mike. Have you been reading Scaffudi or whatever his name is lately? In the interest of trying to be part of that cool, doesn't follow the sheep crowd, you have stepped in your own sh*t. To even state that the overall body of Lennon's work was useless renders your whole commentary useless. If you want to state that his last output was boring and vanilla, I will be more than happy to agree. But aside from that, the only thing John can be faulted for with his solo music was that maybe he tried too hard to pull away from the Beatles image as where Paul embraced it.

Beatles ran their course, agreed. Stones ran their course as well, but forgot to tell each other. Bill was the only one who knew that it was over.

Sections
Shortcuts