Ambient Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ambient Music

For this discussion, let's keep the definition of ambient music fluid, loose, open and flexible.   The lowest common denominator characteristics that can be used as guidelines (feel free to add a few):
     -Atmospheric / surrounds you
     -Can be ignored (to a certain extent), might provide a backdrop or solace
     -Primarily instrumental, but there might be vocals
     -Calms your mind, or removes you (interpret that your own way)
     -Might be melodic, might just be a series of sounds

Brian Eno's ambient music might be considered "classic" ambient music, but there is so much more in the genre to consider.  I've had a side bar conversation with a friend on Signur Ros.   I've been listening to Explosions in the Sky recently.   Does Pink Floyd fit in here?  How about electronic music? 

Do you listen to anything that fits this loose definition of the genre?  Otherwise, what rock, jazz, folk, etc. music comes to mind if you just want something playing in the background, creating your own version of "ambient" sound?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Ambient Music

A lot of what is called Prog Rock may very well fall into this category.Some of ELP, Yes, King Crimson, etc. may fall here because they were somewhat influenced by Classical Music. Some of Pink Floyd's music definitely fits here.

And this will be a surprise for you. At large gatherings where conversation is king but you just need some background music, guess who fits in well, at least with my crowd and family - The Beatles. Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I was going to start a thread about electronic/classical music but never got around to it.  I went through a phase where I was really into it. Walter/Wendy Carlos, Tomita, etc.  I would consider a lot of this as a type of ambient or mood music.  It's classical pieces, but the synthesizers give it a whole different atmosphere.  Carlos's Clockwork Orange music is a favorite.  Tomita's album of Debussy pieces called 'Snowflakes are Dancing' is my favorite by him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Ambient Music:
    [QUOTE]I was going to start a thread about electronic/classical music but never got around to it.  I went through a phase where I was really into it. Walter/Wendy Carlos, Tomita, etc.  I would consider a lot of this as a type of ambient or mood music.  It's classical pieces, but the synthesizers give it a whole different atmosphere.  Carlos's Clockwork Orange music is a favorite.  Tomita's album of Debussy pieces called 'Snowflakes are Dancing' is my favorite by him.Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    This is nice, Hfx.    I've heard of Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange music, but never pursued it.   I love synthie applied in an interesting way.   I'll have to check out Tomita, too.  :)

Classical definitely fits into this category.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Ambient Music:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ambient Music : This is nice, Hfx.    I've heard of Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange music, but never pursued it.   I love synthie applied in an interesting way.   I'll have to check out Tomita, too.  :) Classical definitely fits into this category.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

There are two versions of the Clockwork Orange soundtrack, the 'official' one which has some non-Carlos stuff, and the one that Carlos put out herself, which is the far superior one. 

Tomita's versions of the Debussy music, especially Clair de Lune, are pretty amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I really liked U2"s "Passengers," album. It had a lot of Eno's influence, and musicianship, and the track's  "My Blue Room,"  and " Miss Sarajevo," may be two of the bands best efforts IMO.

Also Radiohead's "How to Disappear Completely, " is pretty atmospheric.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Massive Attack.

All day long...

MM&W
    Portishead
    Morcheeba, et al...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I really like Alan Parsons Project as a good example. Especially the instrumentals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

and Floyd's "Echoes"...

a true space odyssey track....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tangerine Dream has done some great electronic stuff.  The first thing I ever heard by them was an album called 'Phaedra'.  A friend played it for me when we were in an 'altered state' and I got really spooked by it...I said it didn't sound like music made by humans, it sounded like music made by machines...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks for the interesting feedback.  It seems as though some of the older, original electronic music has aged really well to suit this category, and provided an excellent foundation.   I have to say I'm really drawn to this genre, and am diving into it lately.  I'll definitely follow up on some of these suggestions.  I've heard snatches of Massive Attack, and need to look at them in more depth. 

If you think of others, please check back. 

JE, no surprise re: the Beatles for you, although I have to say that I would not associate them with ambient sound.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

beatles? i listen to revolution 9 when i fall asleep...so peaceful and calming Tongue out

sigur ros is amazing, highly recommend agaetis byrjun.

my personal favorite track from them (and that album) is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IN_5mYxMeY

there are many bands with ambient-type songs, but this is truly a band that has perfected the art...and in many circles is synonymous with the genre.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Lithium channel on XM plays some great Ambient Music.