American Guitarists: Guess the outcome

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome

In Response to Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome : Excellent job, and not just using the hints either, b/c you had Allman right from the start (pivotal) and added Dharma in your second round (I think Matty did, also) -- stole Betts from Matty and then SRV from Hfx.  This is how they stand in order: Allman, Duane - 97 Bolin, Tommy - 77 Vaughan, Stevie Ray - 56 Dharma, Buck - 48 Betts, Richard - 16 Any real surprises, or does this make sense?   Does Allman make sense?  I don't know enough about the topic, but from that list, do you come even close to agreeing?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I am a little surprised, but pleasantly so, at that list.  Because Tommy Bolin and Buck Dharma are 2 of my 6 favorite rock guitarists but they're usually a litttle under the radar.  I'm seeing some discerning fans there.Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i think that it is pretty much spot on.  duane is THE legend when it comes to some people's opinions...trucks is pretty much the only person who comes close these days, and it's no coincidence who he plays with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]It was perhaps too ambitious to guess from the original long list.  I should have cut it down a bit.  But then -- am always told I make things too easy.   This was just too tough.  To make it less predictable -- they deliberately left off the names they assumed would be the big front runners: Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton, etc.   So if jessey still wants to do guitarists, maybe solve the predictability factor by taking all the predictable names OFF THE LIST.   Go for a surprise factor.  Go for broke.  :D

was roy buchanan mentioned at all? the three gods of rock guitar,imho, are hendrix, beck and buchanan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome : Excellent job, and not just using the hints either, b/c you had Allman right from the start (pivotal) and added Dharma in your second round (I think Matty did, also) -- stole Betts from Matty and then SRV from Hfx.  This is how they stand in order: Allman, Duane - 97 Bolin, Tommy - 77 Vaughan, Stevie Ray - 56 Dharma, Buck - 48 Betts, Richard - 16 Any real surprises, or does this make sense?   Does Allman make sense?  I don't know enough about the topic, but from that list, do you come even close to agreeing?

that list makes no sense. duane allman was mostly known for his slide guitar work. the only one i agree with is betts.
    the other 4 from the list would be GARCIA, WALSH, VAN HALEN, AND BLOOMFIELD.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome : was roy buchanan mentioned at all? the three gods of rock guitar,imho, are hendrix, beck and buchanan.
    Posted by byebyeepstein[/QUOTE]It doesn't look like anyone suggested Buchanan for the list.

Just to clarify: this list was made by a group on another music forum.  I just posted it here for fun because I thought you all would  find it interesting to see what another group would come up with on their list, as well as who they valued. 

And they were going for "favorite", not necessarily best or most influential, so that's what the votes reflect.   Favorite might not be best, it's much more subjective. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: American Guitarists: Guess the outcome : It doesn't look like anyone suggested Buchanan for the list. Just to clarify: this list was made by a group on another music forum.  I just posted it here for fun because I thought you all would  find it interesting to see what another group would come up with on their list, as well as who they valued.  And they were going for "favorite", not necessarily best or most influential, so that's what the votes reflect.   Favorite might not be best, it's much more subjective. 

in this country FAVORITE usually equals MEDIOCRITY.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

that's why we are in a music forum with people who choose to come here, not a general consensus of the country forum where everyone is invited...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Interesting results....I don't think I would ever have guessed all five.  

Bolin is a fascinating choice, as is the omission of Satriani prima facie...

...which leads me to believe the average age of the voting group may have been up there...not that it matters one way or the other.

It just goes to show how much reverence some people can have not just for the existing work, but also for the potential work we never got to hear.  The Van Gogh Myth strikes again...!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think Tucks is overrated.  I've seen him a few times and wasn't impressed.  Maybe it's that I'm not impressed by guitarists that mainly use a slide. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Jeff Beck does this amazing thing with a slide in his RIGHT hand, up beyond the frets
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Most stuff that Beck does is amazing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I think Tucks is overrated.  I've seen him a few times and wasn't impressed.  Maybe it's that I'm not impressed by guitarists that mainly use a slide. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

If you haven't already, check out the Allmans at the Beacon dvd...

...Derek shares the slide parts/leads with Warren Haynes and holds his own quite well, IMO...not an easy feat by any means.  Their jam on 'One Way Out' is a definite keeper.  I think slide is harder because there are so few truly great slide players.

By all accounts he was a child prodigy, and yet I still think we've yet to see the best from him.  Even his uncle Butch said, "My nephew is scary. He never plays the same solo twice."  No small praise....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Jeff Beck does this amazing thing with a slide in his RIGHT hand, up beyond the frets
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I saw that when he opened (!) for Santana a few years back...I was in the 6th row and had to pick my jaw up off the floor after his set.

I came out convinced that Beck is an alien...no human could be that good, could they...?