American Rock and Roll Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: American Rock and Roll Bands

Pearl Jam
    Grateful Dead
    Beach Boys

But I think individual artists have done more for rock and roll than bands.  Dylan, Elvis, Chuck Barry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

neutral milk hotel! or the flaming lips!

neither are really rock and roll, actually...

i guess pet sounds is pretty much it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Best album by an American RnR band. that is a hard one, but if I had to choose, it would be either "Rocks" by Aerosmith, even though "Get Your Wings" is my favorite Aerosmith album or "Murmur" by REM.

FYI - need to send some love to Mountain as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Good Call on Mountian

I nominate Steppenwolf

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like Pet Sounds but somehow it doesn't work for me as much it does for those who rate it so highly.  I think Wouldn't It Be Nice, God Only Knows and Caroline, No are brilliant songs.  I think there are some other nice songs there.  But in general after those three songs there seems to be a big dropoff for me. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'll be the first person to admit that I have no idea what kind of pretension some of you are trying to get at with words like "important" and "best," but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been, are, and will continue to be awesome.

That's pretty much all I've got for this thread.

It's all a matter of taste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Um, no love for Bill Haley and the Comets? Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers? The Drifters? I mean come on jessey, the teenagers were from Harlem. Oh, and props to you halifax for bringing up Cosmo's Factory, arguably the greatest rock and roll album of all time. As a matter of fact I think I'll listen to that right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I'll just post my favorites, too tired to break it down at the moment...

inpo

Steely Dan
    Santana
    Doobie Brothers
    Allman Brothers
    ZZ Top
    The Eagles
    The Doors
    Grateful Dead
    Alice In Chains
    REM

Kind of boring, but I'm struggling with middle age Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: American Rock and Roll Bands:
    [QUOTE]I'll be the first person to admit that I have no idea what kind of pretension some of you are trying to get at with words like "important" and "best," but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been, are, and will continue to be awesome. That's pretty much all I've got for this thread. It's all a matter of taste.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Not really Mike. It is not only a matter of taste. Although I would beg your forgiveness for not listing The Heartbreakers in my opening comment. That was definitely a mistake on my part.

But I think you can objectively look at some of these bands and say how important one band may have been over another. Influence, innovation and things like that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carraway. Show carraway's posts

Springsteen is by far the greatest performer in R&R history.

Beach Boys best group.....timeless stuff. Pearl Jam right there

great boston bands- human sexual response, atlantics, stompers

skynard...seriously? Take Marshall Tucker over them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]I'll be the first person to admit that I have no idea what kind of pretension some of you are trying to get at with words like "important" and "best," but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been, are, and will continue to be awesome. That's pretty much all I've got for this thread. It's all a matter of taste.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as well. And yes musical taste is important. But is there a Tom Petty without first Bob Dylan and The Byrds? That's simply what's meant by important. What bands influenced or inspired others to play? It's not really all that pretentious, even if it can sound like it. Some bands are great but have little influence. Others can lead to the beginning of a whole new genre or style. That's all that's about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Springsteen is by far the greatest performer in R&R history. Beach Boys best group.....timeless stuff. Pearl Jam right there great boston bands- human sexual response, atlantics, stompers skynard...seriously? Take Marshall Tucker over them.
    Posted by carraway[/QUOTE]

Agreed to a point. I hear that he would put on 4 hour shows although you couldn't pay me enough to see him. Personally, I think he is one of the most over-rated musicians ever. But that does not take away from his live perfomances. I understand that he gave his audience everything they could ask of him and more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimothyTimTimmy. Show TimothyTimTimmy's posts

Red Hot Chili Peppers' got the sound.

Sections
Shortcuts