American Rock and Roll Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

American Rock and Roll Bands

Let's cut this discussion to RnR bands from the USA only and leave the Brits and others out of it. There are quite a few American bands who are part of the immortals club. So I have three questions:

Which American Band was the most important?
    Which American Band was the best?
    Which American Band is your favorite?

Remember, important, best annd favorite do not always have to agree. So try and be as objective as you can with the first two and with favorite, be as subjective as you want.

Without revealing my actual list, I will give you some bands to ponder:

Beach Boys
    Buddy Holly and the Crickets
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Rascals
    Lovin Spoonful
    The Doors
    The Mothers of Invention
    The Velvet Underground
    The Stooges
    Alice Cooper Band
    Aerosmith
    KISS
    The Ramones
    Metallica
    Guns and Roses
    Nirvana

There are so many others. I cannot wait to see what you all will list.

I did not list solo artists such as Elvis, Dylan Joni Mitchell or singing groups such as the Temptations or 4 Tops. I only want your thoughts on those bands which are completely self-contained.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: American Rock and Roll Bands

Not to step on any toes, but Radiohead is not an American band.

Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I'll go first. This is harder than I thought, I might even change my mind but here you go!

Most Important band: Nirvana

Best band: The Eagles

Favorite band: REM, Guns and Roses, Dave Matthews Band

Almost went Beach Boys most important. I feel the two changed the landscape the most.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Most Important : The Doors
                              Jefferson Airplane
                              Velvet Underground
                              The Byrds
     These band shaped the '60s and almost every band in the rock era that followed for the next ten years after them,  They changed the way music was interpreted and gave it a more mature theme and purpose.

Best Band: That's easy Allman Brothers Band

My Fav Band : Grateful Dead, followed distantly by Wilco

Not to be a purest but Jimi came back to America by way of England (with 2 British members of the band) This also would keep CSN&Y from the list because of Graham Nash being English

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Buffalo Springfield were important just for the fact that their members went on to start CSN&Y plus Stills and Young solo carriers, Poco, Loggins And Messina and brought Jack Nitzsche in to the limelight as a producer

The Pixies ... They invented "loud quite loud" and without them there would not have been a '90s grunge scene

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Does it have to be bands? I think of Buddy Holly as a solo performer even though his band had a name. I just can't think of American Rock and Roll without the roll call of the founders such as Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, etc., etc. These are the ones who laid down the basic riffs, beats, lyrics; the utter foundation of all rock that has followed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: American Rock and Roll Bands:
    Does it have to be bands? I think of Buddy Holly as a solo performer even though his band had a name. I just can't think of American Rock and Roll without the roll call of the founders such as Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, etc., etc. These are the ones who laid down the basic riffs, beats, lyrics; the utter foundation of all rock that has followed.
    Posted by devildavid

I concur

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Adding:

Creedence
    Blue Oyster Cult

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Not to step on any toes, but Radiohead is not an American band.
    Posted by chazz508

Thanks chazz. I didn't they were but I didn't want to avoid that specific genre. I should have checked before I pput their name on the list.

I feel foolish - sorry. I really have lost touch with the music scene of these last two generations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by devildavid

That is why I labeled the thread specifically bands and not artists.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Most Important : The Doors                           Jefferson Airplane                           Velvet Underground                           The Byrds  These band shaped the '60s and almost every band in the rock era that followed for the next ten years after them,  They changed the way music was interpreted and gave it a more mature theme and purpose. Best Band: That's easy Allman Brothers Band My Fav Band : Grateful Dead, followed distantly by Wilco Not to be a purest but Jimi came back to America by way of England (with 2 British members of the band) This also would keep CSN&Y from the list because of Graham Nash being English
    Posted by jkjband

jkj - absolutely correct and I was hesitant about putting the Experience in, but wasn't sure about the backlash. Okay - let's pull them out of the equateion, just like CSN & Y.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For me - the most important was Buddy Holly and the Crickets

The Best - If I just count the 70's, then it would be Aerosmith hands down.

My favorite - The Alice Cooper Band

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Most Important - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Best - Eagles
    Favorite - Metallica

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

phish

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Here's my top ten list in terms of importance, in chrono order:

Buddy Holly & The Crickets (most important)
    The Beach Boys
    The Byrds
    Velvet Underground (best)
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Band
    Grateful Dead (favorite)
    Allman Brothers Band
    Aerosmith
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Honorable Mention (importance, chrono): The Doors, Chicago, Steely Dan, J. Geils Band, Ramones, Talking Heads, Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Pearl Jam, The Strokes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

For the top level list as some of the USA's finest, who rate an honorable mention:
    Boston
    Mamas & the Papas
    Pearl Jam
    Journey     :)

and: Simon and Garfunkel (do they count?) -- they're a duo, self-contained, hard to categorize as a "band" --- highly influential, and one of America's finest, right out of the great state of New York. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

For Important American Bands

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers .... they stuck a knife in the '60s and laid the foundation for punk. Many bands gave a nod to the Lovers as their inspiration.  They were huge in Europe, especially Great Britain ..... Two members went on to very influential bands from the '80s the Cars & The Talking Heads.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Also Important American Bands

Sonic Youth ... Listen to Radiohead or The Flaming Lips and you can hear Sonic Youth

Patti Smith Group Influenced everyone from U2 to The Talking Heads

Wire

Sly And The Family Stone ... no Sly.. No Prince, no Funkadelic

Blondie ... They were the first band to include a "rap" song on a national label.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Also Important American Bands Sonic Youth ... Listen to Radiohead or The Flaming Lips and you can hear Sonic Youth Patti Smith Group Influenced everyone from U2 to The Talking Heads Wire Sly And The Family Stone ... no Sly.. No Prince, no Funkadelic Blondie ... They were the first band to include a "rap" song on a national label.
    Posted by jkjband

No jkj - please say you didn't list that catterwalling, scarecrow faced, heroin nodding Patti Smith.

IMO - the most overhyped, talentless person to ever grace a RnR stage. And I have seen her enough times to give an honest answer on that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Then I must say that we agree to disagree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

So what is the best album by an American rock band?  I think it might be this one, and another contributor here (Carnie) agrees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hfx, I was debating between CCR and Skynyrd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm just going to list my 10 favorite bands alphabetically.  I find picking the 'best' or 'most important' one too hard on the head. 

Alice Cooper
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Byrds
    Creedence
    Doors
    Eagles
    Guns N Roses
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Steely Dan
    Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

It feels a little sacrilegious to leave Aerosmith off.  I did love them in the early days.  But I dislike their later material so much that it has really soured me on them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

the pixies...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

So what is the best album by an American rock band?  I think it might be this one, and another contributor here (Carnie) agrees.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I'd have to disagree, jessey....not counting dylan, I'd have to go with:

Sections
Shortcuts