And Now For Something Completely Different - Artist of the Day (Mott)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - Artist of the Day (Mott)

Excellent and lovable band.  I owned 'All the Young Dudes', 'Mott', and 'The Hoople'.  Also have the greatest hits double CD.  I think 'Mott' may have been their best album.  I especially love 'Hymn for the Dudes'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ian Hunter has great songwriting ability. It is kind of a shame that the song the Mott is best known for was penned by Bowie.

All The Way From Memphis is a wicked, cool song ( that's how we talk here in New England). I have all the later stuff by Hunter, Hunter and Ronson and Ronson. Best known song after Mott was probably "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"...unfortunately the version by Great White is played more than Hunter's original).

Ian Hunter appears to be a disciple of Bob Dylan , his gravelly voice can sound alot like Zimmy on so many of his solo works.

Mick Ralphs has the curious identity problem that screams "injustice" , he was the guitarist in two very good classic rock era bands ( Mott and Bad Co.) yet rarely if ever gets mentioned among the heavies of rock guitar folklore.

The Mott the Hoople catalogue is loaded with 'diamonds in the rough' many great songs that flew under the radar of radio play. My favorites include:

The cover of 'Sweet Jane'
    'Roll Away the Stone'
    'Rock and Roll Queen'
    'One of the Boys'
    'Ready For Love/After Lights'
    'I Wish I was Your Mother'

The Ian Hunter solo venture 'You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic' is an extremely great showcase of Hunter at his best.

A song title off of Hunter's 2007 LP (Shrunken Heads), is "I Am What I Hated When I was Young", brilliant subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

As you would know, Zilla, Hunter was a co-writer on 2 BOC songs, one good one 'Goin' Through the Motions', and one bad one 'Let Go'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - Artist of the Day (Mott):
    [QUOTE]As you would know, Zilla, Hunter was a co-writer on 2 BOC songs, one good one 'Goin' Through the Motions', and one bad one 'Let Go'.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I did not know that.

I love when you guys teach me new sh*t here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Schitzophrenic features "Just Another Night," "Cleveland Rocks" and "When the Night Comes," every one a gem.

"The Golden Age of Rock and Roll" is another favorite of mine from The Hoople.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

BTW, there is a new documentary making the rounds at film festivals, The Ballad of Mott the Hoople. And Ian Hunter is touring solo again this year (well with the Rant band).

Here's a review: http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/reviews.php?id=9402

"Mott the Hoople made Spinal Tap look like a model of restrained professionalism..."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

up until now the best mott i knew was applesauce...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I believe that, unfortunately, Mott was one of those bands in which you really HAD to be there to understand how popular and influential they were, especially in the UK.  And aside from Bowie, Queen and maybe T. Rex, the biggest bands of the that era - Slade, Sweet, Mott, etc. - went on to more of a cult status here in the states.  Ian Hunter, in particular, was as perennial an artist as they had in the 70s - popular with critics and the public alike.

It has me thinking along the lines of so-called "cult" bands or those that were big and then quickly flamed out for any number of reasons.  There's definitely a sense that one belonged to a special club of witnesses to something special - such as those who got to see The Allman Brothers play live with both Duane and Berry, or the original Joy Division with Ian Curtis.  It's enough to make any normal music fan drool with envy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - Artist of the Day (Mott):
    [QUOTE]I believe that, unfortunately, Mott was one of those bands in which you really HAD to be there to understand how popular and influential they were, especially in the UK.  And aside from Bowie, Queen and maybe T. Rex, the biggest bands of the that era - Slade, Sweet, Mott, etc. - went on to more of a cult status here in the states.  Ian Hunter, in particular, was as perennial an artist as they had in the 70s - popular with critics and the public alike. It has me thinking along the lines of so-called "cult" bands or those that were big and then quickly flamed out for any number of reasons.  There's definitely a sense that one belonged to a special club of witnesses to something special - such as those who got to see The Allman Brothers play live with both Duane and Berry, or the original Joy Division with Ian Curtis.  It's enough to make any normal music fan drool with envy.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

For whatever crazy reason reason , I seem to be a big fan of an awful lot of bands that had a "cult" following. I like Slade, Joy Division, the Cramps, Sisters of Mercy, Flash and the Pan, Talk Talk and many other bands that , I think fit this description.

Oddly, I never joined a cult and never will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - Artist of the Day (Mott) : For whatever crazy reason reason , I seem to be a big fan of an awful lot of bands that had a "cult" following. I like Slade, Joy Division, the Cramps, Sisters of Mercy, Flash and the Pan, Talk Talk and many other bands that , I think fit this description. Oddly, I never joined a cult and never will.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think that's just the nature of art - esp. good art.  Rarely do we recognize its influence and importance while it's still around, and by then, it's usually too late.  Some refer to it as the "Van Gogh Delusion"....

Ironically, this also often leads us to over-praise that which we currently recognize as important, because we subconsciously strive to be leaders of opinion and not just another follower.

I'd wager firmly that each of us is as susceptible to one impulse as to the other, but that's what makes art (and music, literature, drama, etc.) the most human of human endeavors, IMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts