Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned

From yahoo.com:

NEW YORK (AP) — An Andy Warhol portrait of Elvis Presley as a cowboy is being sold at a New York City auction.

Sotheby's says the "Double Elvis (Ferus Type)" will be sold Wednesday night during a contemporary art sale.

The silver silkscreen painting shows the rock and roll heartthrob armed and shooting from the hip. A shadowy Elvis figure is faintly visible in the background.

It was exhibited at the Ferus Gallery in Los Angeles in 1963, the year it was created.

The auction house said it's the first "Double Elvis" to appear on the market since 1995. The sale estimate is $30 million to $50 million.

Sotheby's identified the seller only as a private collector.

Warhol produced a series of 22 images of Elvis. Nine are in museum collections.

Thank you,Thank you very much

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned

GREAT segue from our recent discussions.   Thank you - thank you very much.

Here's the update on the sale:  $37 million
    ------------------------------------------

Andy Warhol's "Double Elvis" sold for $37 million and works by Roy Lichtenstein and Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei broke their own records at Sotheby's contemporary art sale on Wednesday.

Lichtenstein's "Sleeping Girl," depicting a woman with closed eyes and flowing blond hair, fetched $44,882,500; Weiwei's 1-ton, handmade porcelain "Sunflower Seeds" brought $782,500.

Another major work on the auction block — Francis Bacon's "Figure Writing Reflected in Mirror" — sold for $44,882,500. The buyers' names for each of the four pieces were not released.

The sale came on the heels of art auction history. Last week, the auction house sold Edvard Munch's "The Scream" for $119.9 million, making it the most expensive artwork ever sold at auction.

"The reason for these record-breaking sales is, quite simply, the quality of material on show," said Michael Frahm, a contemporary art adviser at the London-based Frahm Ltd. "The key is quality."

Warhol's "Double Elvis (Ferus Type)," a silver silkscreen image of Elvis Presley depicted as a cowboy, fetched $37,042,500. It had been expected to sell for $30 million to $50 million. The auction house said it was the first "Double Elvis" to appear on the market since 1995. Warhol produced a series of 22 images of Elvis. Nine are in museum collections.

The rock and roll heartthrob is shown armed and shooting from the hip, a shadowy Elvis figure faintly visible in the background. It was offered for sale by a private American collector, who acquired it in 1977.

The record for a Warhol is $71.7 million for his "Green Car Crash — Green Burning Car I," sold at Christie's in 2007.

The "Elvis" silkscreen was exhibited at the Ferus Gallery in Los Angeles in 1963, the year it was created. The auction catalog described the work, based on a movie publicity photo, as "the deification of a contemporary warrior-saint, the towering, pre-eminent idol bearing a deadly weapon as if protecting the mythical world of celebrity itself."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

At the time, there were also many conversations about what Warhol was doing constituted "Art".

These days, not so many I guess....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I still question Warhol's work being called art. Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Wow, speaking of style innovators  -- just saw that Vidal Sassoon died.   

Style innovator that changed the face of hair fashion -- cool dude.  

He felt he, and hair professionals, did not get their props.  Style and fashion arts may be under-rated.   Some of the best hair styles known to modern women and men are thanks to Vidal Sassoon's influence.    

Go fashion art. :)    RIP Vidal.  

"Still, Sassoon never felt the profession that he put at the forefront of modern fashion received the respect it was owed.

"Hairdressing in general hasn't been given the kudos it deserves," Sassoon told Reuters in 2010. "It's not recognized by enough people as a worthy craft."

"If you get hold of a head of hair on somebody you've never seen before, cut beautiful shapes, cut beautiful architectural angles and she walks out looking so different - I think that's masterful," he said." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned:
    In Response to Re: Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned : I sincerely hope the same cannot be said about a string stretched across a room in fifty years.... 
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Hey, I put a bid on that piece.  Waiting to hear back from the gallery.   :P

Your rant had me in tears, I was howling when I read it.  That rant was as good as a Zilla rant.  Priceless.  I "valued" it.  :P

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I still question Warhol's work being called art.
    Posted by devildavid

Why?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Andy Warhol's "Elvis" to be auctioned : I sincerely hope the same cannot be said about a string stretched across a room in fifty years.... 
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Well, now that you mention it...

The photo link stated that the original conceptual piece was done in 1970.  If I'm not mistaken, the piece in the national gallery is likely a re-creation of the concept in a new setting...

...upwards of 40 years later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From yahoo.com:
    There's always something new to discover in Vatican City. Anthony Zonfrell, 20, a visitor to the holy city did a double take when he saw Sylvester Stallone in one of Raphael's masterpieces.

OK, so it wasn't really Stallone. But the man who brought to life "Rocky," "Rambo" -- and is reprising his role in "The Expendables 2" this summer -- does bear more than a passing resemblance to an unnamed onlooker in a 1511 painting of Pope Gregory IX approving the Vatical Decretals.

Note the cheekbones. Note the heavy eyelids. Note the nose, the hair, the chiseled chin. Heck, everything about the holy man in the painting looks like Sly.

Sections
Shortcuts