Anti-Drug Songs...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Anti-Drug Songs...

We can name several drug-related songs that have been done over the years, from the obvious ("Purple Haze," "Sister Morphine," etc.) to the not-so-obvious ("Got To Get You Into My Life").

But how many can we name that are actually anti-drug?

The ones I can think off the top of my dead are "Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young and "That Smell" by Skynyrd. Clapton claims "Cocaine" (written by JJ Cale) is allegedly anti-drug, but being that it contains the line "if you got bad news and want to shake the blues," I've always been dubious on that one.

Any other suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Anti-Drug Songs...

"Bad" and "Running to Stand Still" both by U2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Throwing drinking into the coversation:

Suicide Solution - Ozzy

I also like Mr. Brownstone - Guns & Roses

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

jessey beat me to Mr. Brownstone. 

Hotel California - it is one interpretation of the song

Angel - Sarah McLachlan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Also with drinking ... "Don't Talk" by 10,000 Maniacs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

That Smell by Lynyrd Skynyrd

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Anti-Drug Songs...:
    [QUOTE]We can name several drug-related songs that have been done over the years, from the obvious ("Purple Haze," "Sister Morphine," etc.) to the not-so-obvious ("Got To Get You Into My Life"). But how many can we name that are actually anti-drug? The ones I can think off the top of my dead are "Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young and "That Smell" by Skynyrd. Clapton claims "Cocaine" (written by JJ Cale) is allegedly anti-drug, but being that it contains the line "if you got bad news and want to shake the blues," I've always been dubious on that one. Any other suggestions?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

THat SMell and Needle were the two I thought of when I saw the title of the thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bottle of wine. I hope you all know the song I'm talking about.
    Bottle of wine
    Fruit of the vine
    When you gonna let me get sober?
    Leave me alone
    Let me go home
    Let me go home and start over.
    I think it's an old song, maybe Carribean.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

White Lightning - Def Leppard

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

Kicks - Paul Revere and the Raiders

Ball and Chain - Social Distortion

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Carmalita- Warron Zevon
    NO NO NO_ Ringo Star
    That Smell

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Anti-Drug Songs...:
    [QUOTE]Carmalita- Warron Zevon NO NO NO_ Ringo Star That Smell
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

"Carmalita!!!!!" Excellent suggestion, shumi.

And I'm all strung out on heroin on the outskirts of town.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i play acoustic covers at bars around my area, and i have had to learn a lot of lyrics, and it seems to me that they are almost all either pro/con drugs, or about sex. sometimes less cryptically than you might think.  one that sticks out that i realized was anti-drug was:
     barely breathing - duncan sheik

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Everybody mentions That Smell, but I seem to remember The Needle and the Spoon, also from Skynyrd, carrying a fairly stern warning with absolutely no metaphor whatsoever.

I've been feelin so sick and tired
    Got to get better, lord before I die
    Seven doctors couldnt help my head, they said
    You better quit, son before your dead

Jackson Browne's Cocaine came across as kind of ambivalent on the topic, but might be included, as well.

I was talking to my doctor, down at the hospital
    He said "Son, it say's here you're 27
    But that's impossible."

Cocaine

"You look like you could be 45."

On the subject of Warren Zevon, you might also include I Was in the House When the House Burned Down, although that is probably a matter of interpretation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Casey Jones...Grateful Dead
    Pusher....Steppenwolf
    End of the Line...Allman Brothers
    Heroin...Velvet Underground

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Bottle of wine. I hope you all know the song I'm talking about. Bottle of wine Fruit of the vine When you gonna let me get sober? Leave me alone Let me go home Let me go home and start over. I think it's an old song, maybe Carribean.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    I think Irish Rovers could have charted it, with a very upbeat raspy style.  Somebody else might have done "Bottle of Wine", Carribean style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think most of the Neil Young LP, "Tonight's the Night" has an anti-drug message. This LP came out shortly after the drug related death of Danny Whitten the original rythym guitarist from Crazy Horse and roadie Bruce Berry's death. Neil actually included a Whitten penned song with Danny on lead vocals, "Come on Baby Let's Go Dowtown" , the only song ever released on a Neil Young LP other than instrumentals that featured someone other than Neil on Lead vocal. The song "Tired Eyes" , I believe would be the most obviously "anti-drug."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"White Lines (Don't Do It)" - Grandmaster & Melle Mel

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'I've Got to Give It Up' by Thin Lizzy.  Sadly Phil Lynott couldn't give it up and it killed him.

'Cubically Contained' by Headstones.  The band's singer and songwiter Hugh Dillon had a heroin addiction that he did finally kick.  The lyrics to the song are blackly humorous as he describes the horrors of trying to combat the impulse to use. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Undun by "The Guess Who" was rumored to be about Art Linkletters daughter jumping out of a window and killing herself while she was tripping on LSD.

She's come undun
    She's found a mountain that was far too high
    And when she found out she couldn't fly
    It was too late

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Undun by "The Guess Who" was rumored to be about Art Linkletters daughter jumping out of a window and killing herself while she was tripping on LSD. She's come undun She's found a mountain that was far too high And when she found out she couldn't fly It was too late
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, I should have guessed that. Except that part about it being Art Linkletter's daughter.

I really didn't know that, thanks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]Bottle of wine. I hope you all know the song I'm talking about. Bottle of wine Fruit of the vine When you gonna let me get sober? Leave me alone Let me go home Let me go home and start over. I think it's an old song, maybe Carribean.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I think you mean "Bottle of wine" which was written and sung by Tom Paxton  but popularized by the Fireballs.There was also a carribean/calypso version by The Kingston Trio I believe.
     As a side note,Paxton was quite a songwriter whose music was performed by many different artists and bands.He even wrote the jingle for Ken-L-Ration dog food in the commercial "My dogs better than your dog".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You're welcome Zilla.Like I said,that was the popular rumor at the time. 

I also wanted to add a couple more songs to the list:

Mama told me not to come - Three Dog Night
    Under the bridge- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    and for drinking:
    What made Milwaukee famous(has made a loser out of me) -Jerry Lee Lewis 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Dave Van Ronks version of 'Cocaine Blues' is a good one.  Originally a Rev Gary Davis tune, but Gary refused to play it after he found religon. Sort of. If you got him drunk he'd play the instrumental part, but the original words he took to the grave.

Jackon Browne did a version of it. He called Dave, thinking it was a Van Ronk original (only the lyrics were), and Dave got all excited about the potential royalities.  And then groaned and nearly cried when he found out which song it was.  Better send those checks to the Davis Estate. Browne actually glamorized coke usage in his version, IIRC, something not in DVR's.

Anywho, here's the original DVR recording. He redid it several times, and one of those is better, but I couldn't find it online:

http://www.last.fm/music/Dave+Van+Ronk/_/Cocaine+Blues

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anti-Drug Songs... : I think you mean "Bottle of wine" which was written and sung by Tom Paxton  but popularized by the Fireballs.There was also a carribean/calypso version by The Kingston Trio I believe.  As a side note,Paxton was quite a songwriter whose music was performed by many different artists and bands.He even wrote the jingle for Ken-L-Ration dog food in the commercial "My dogs better than your dog".
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Tom Paxton is one of those real jewels like Tom Rush , who are unknown to most people who don't give the lesser known folkies a listen.