AotD: Sublime

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

AotD: Sublime

Short-lived and yet immensely popular ipso facto, Sublime still remains one of the more enduring crossover successes of the 90s.  From Long Beach, CA, the fusion of hip-hop/reggae/ska/punk etc. would in turn be commercialized, but the 'band' that Brad Nowell - who OD'd at only 28 - founded had an aesthetic all their own that has appealed far beyond what anyone might have guessed at the time.

Even a casual listener knows at least one Sublime song through almost incessant airplay on alt- and modern rock stations.  And perhaps the most often criticism is about the over-exposure of the relatively small catalog...as opposed to the music itself.

And while the 90s cliches are impossible to ignore, the music still seems to hold up today.  Personally, I've never been a huge fan, but Sublime is so omnipresent - at bars, cookouts, parties, etc. - that it's tough not to appreciate the lightning-in-a-bottle, crowd-pleasing qualities that kept the music alive long after the founder-creator's death.  (also worth checking out: long beach dub all-stars)

(Full Disclosure: a good buddy called me with an extra ticket for the SublimeWithRome/Cypress Hill/Pepper show tonight in NH.  Nice to have such good friends!  :))  )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: AotD: Sublime

Sublime's done some interesting Dead covers if I'm not mistaken.

crickets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: AotD: Sublime:
    [QUOTE]Sublime's done some interesting Dead covers if I'm not mistaken. crickets.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Yes, and they whipped out "Scarlet Begonias" last night like nobody's business. (Hangin' in the parking lot before and after, I heard more Dead than anything else, fwiw.)

Great show, btw.  My expectations weren't all that high (npi..), but they rocked out pretty convincingly, as did Cypress Hill and Pepper before them.  It may have helped that we had front-row tix, but it was an impressive display.  Good times.

P.S. The only downer was the police-state attitudes of the security staff (Meadowbrook).  You'd think I would have got used to it by now, but it's as frustrating as ever.

I'm enough of a live music fan that I can look past this and other issues most times, but between the initial costs, the commercial trappings, the price gouging concessions and general no-fun-league attitude, I can certainly understand why some people don't bother going to shows any more.

Cue the new thread...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, movie theatres are next (and I don't like them for a variety of reasons anyhow ... including many of the reasons you stated, and the bad smell)  :P   

I'm not starting any threads today -- I started the Woody thread and the killer thread.    I've done my part for politicizing the forum for this week, anyhow.   

It's too bad that security issues wring some of the fun out of live shows, true.   That must have been an "all ages" show, maybe?   Either way, it does sound like it was fun.  Sublime is a real "summery" band for sure.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: AotD: Sublime:
    [QUOTE]It's too bad that security issues wring some of the fun out of live shows, true.   That must have been an "all ages" show, maybe?   Either way, it does sound like it was fun.  Sublime is a real "summery" band for sure.   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Well, most outdoor shows are all ages, AFAIK.

I understand it; I just don't think it's all that necessary.  Maybe it has something to do with liability insurance...?

It all has the effect of seeming very provincial, to me, and somewhat intolerant toward people trying to enjoy themselves.  The 'one bad apple' maxim strikes again.