Are You Game? - Update / Your Input: Please check list - Thanks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Are You Game? - Update / Your Input: Please check list - Thanks

Fabulous Music Forum,

I would like your input regarding a game thread.  It's very easy.  But there are a few aspects that differentiate it from other games that may sway you to want to participate or bother with it.   See below. 

To complete the game process all the way to the end will take at least a couple of months.

There are a few very simple rules.  They have to be followed, however, or the game will get messed up.  The basic rules are:
              1.  Post only once per day in the thread.
              2.  Cut and paste the entire contents of the thread each time you post, and state the name of the previous poster.
              3.  You add one vote and subtract one vote per day.  Record how you voted. 

The game will have a theme.  Best Female Rockers or Best Live Classic Albums are two I might select from.  I'll post a "baseline" list of names; you can give your input on the list for some additions before we start.  

Each name gets a baseline of 5 pts.   Every day you vote, you add a point to a name you want kept, and substract a point from a name you think is weak and want eliminated.  

By process of elimination over a stretch of time, names are knocked off the list, it's reduced, high votes rise to the top,  until we come up with an ultimate winner.   It takes many, many weeks.  

Too much bother?  OR do you want to see if we can pull one off?  Note: It won't be a crime if we don't see it through. 

Am attaching a poll.  Feel free to leave a comment.  I did not want to  post a game thread such as this without asking if you're interested first.  And I am not in any way offended if you're not interested.  I did not invent the game.  :) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Are You Game?

Would it be necessary to post in it every single day or does that matter? Sounds like it could be fun, as long as random participation won't mess it up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Are You Game?:
    [QUOTE]Would it be necessary to post in it every single day or does that matter? Sounds like it could be fun, as long as random participation won't mess it up.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    No, it would not be necessary to post daily, but the more we all post, the more the competition advances. 

It is fun, it really is, but you need a certain number of devoted people to pull it off.  The only way we could possibly try it is if we change the number of votes per day, and go for two up and two down, instead of just one.  One vote would just move too slowly.   I can see that already. 

We can also keep the baseline list to a reasonable number. 

It's really fun.  It's just a fun competition, and you don't know how it's going to turn out, you watch it unfold according to the way the group votes. 

I'll think about it.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Make sure you nudge me when we are going to start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm here every weekday...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Make sure you nudge me when we are going to start.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    If nudging you is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
    Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]i'm here every weekday...
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    And I look forward to your smart alec presence every day, too.  :)

I'm mulling over how we can make this game thread work for us with a limited number of people.   It's only fair to ramp up the speed somehow, by making a change to the rules that are normally used.

Let me think about it a little more (I do have other things I need to think about, believe it or not!  ha ha).  

It's a really fun process to watch, and it's different from anything we've done around here, that's why I would love to give it a shot.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are You Game? : And I look forward to your smart alec presence every day, too.  :) I'm mulling over how we can make this game thread work for us with a limited number of people.   It's only fair to ramp up the speed somehow, by making a change to the rules that are normally used. Let me think about it a little more (I do have other things I need to think about, believe it or not!  ha ha).   It's a really fun process to watch, and it's different from anything we've done around here, that's why I would love to give it a shot.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

ditto :)

i am ready to go with this game...let's make it happen!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga - nudge me a little and I will follw you forever.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like fun, and the only way to do it is to start it and see what happens. I don't like rule 2 though.  I HATE scrolling endlessly through history, and if you hit Reply to THIS Post, you automagically get the post you are responding to. Or is the actual chronology what you are looking for?  If thats the case, NEVER hit Reply to this Post, always go to the bottom and a new one. But its your football, and thanks
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Okay, I've been pushed off the fence.  I'll set it up asap. 

Greg,

The reason we have to copy and paste every time is that it's like a "ballot" that has to be copied verbatim so we're always voting off the most recent copy of the ballot.   

The "reply to this post" isn't possible because it "smushes" the previous post together so you can't really read it.  And yes, it has to be in chron order to make sense.   

Trust me.  For a normal posting routine, it would be a PITA, but for this thread, it's not that bad.   

It's like this: (this is just a sample, it will be a RnR topic!)
    Baseline starts thus: every name has 5 pts.

jessey - 5
    yogi   -  5
    greg   - 5
    DD     - 5
    Hfx    - 5    

I copy and paste that list, then my comment box looks like this:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

yogafriend's comment:

jessey - 4
    yogi   -  6
    greg   - 5
    DD     - 5
    Hfx    - 5 

yogi +
    jessey -
    (this tells everyone I vote yogi up a point, jessey down a point)

Next person copies and pastes my list so it looks like this:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Greg's comment looks like this

jessey - 3
    yogi   -  7
    greg   - 5
    DD     - 5
    Hfx    - 5 

yogi +
    jessey -

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (see, in this example, jessey would be history if the next few people keep voting him off -- so he'd be removed from the list.   ha ha.  

It's veeeery easy breezy.   I'll set it up.   
    Thanks.  :)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

well just click on latest post on the main music forum page and you won't have to scroll

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Greg,
    I'm workin' on it, darlin.  

You have to trust me, Greg.  BDC has pages.  You won't have to do a scroll down.  This is why the copied and pasted ballots are necessary.

And no offense to other threads, but this is why I can't deal with other threads where there is no "history" of what has been posted.   Gets one repeat after another, gets so redundant after a while, it's like being a treadmill.  

And yes, when this is done right with a lot of people, it can go on for hundreds and hundreds of posts.   I warned of this at the beginning. 

But you're right.  If it tanks, it tanks.  Reward comes from taking risks.  ;)

But this will just mean that if I keep voting all by myself, my favorite artist will end up on top.  mmmmm.

I wanted to talk about Pearl Jam first ... and I'm not getting paid for this, sadly, so I have other obligations.

For someone who knows a lot about the music industry, I would think you of all people would understand there are no short cuts to success ... Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]well just click on latest post on the main music forum page and you won't have to scroll
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    So intuitive. 
    Smile

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are You Game? : But doesn't that defeat the purpose!?! And hell, aren't we musicians rather proud of breaking rules :-) I'm on board man.  Lets do it
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

yeahhhhhh buddy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, okay.   Got it.   Give me until tomorrow, please. 

The pressure is intense around here.  Greg is smokin' again. 
    Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

okay, i'll give it til tomorrow. greg never waits for me!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sorry to be such a girl about this, but I wanted your input for the final list of Favorite Female Rocker game. 

Please remember that if we don't want this to go on forever and a day, the list should stay a reasonable length.

Also, I left off some of the greats, as I would like to stick with rockers (Joni Mitchell is not on the list, for that reason, for example).

Post adds if you see any glaring omissions or if you think any of the names are a complete waste of space.
     Thanks!! 

Alanis Morissette

Ann Wilson

Annie Lennox

Bjork

Cass Elliott

Chrissie Hynde

Christine McVie

Courtney Love

Debby Harry

Grace Slick

Gwen Stefani

deleted name

Janis Joplin

Joan Jett

Johnette Napolitano

Kate Bush

Linda Ronstadt

Lisa Loeb

Melissa Etheridge

Pat Benatar

Patti Smith

PJ Harvey

Pink

Stevie Nicks

Tina Turner

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

that's a big list! i think it's pretty subjective as to whether or not i think some are a waste, so i'm just gonna let this one play out. great job, friend!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Are You Game? - Update / Your Input: Please check list - Thanks

We might need to delete a few of them.

That's why I am asking.   The whole thing is subjective, but I have no problem knocking a few of them off the list and I don't think anyone else would mind, either.

So I'll wait / see if anyone wants to speak up.  Otherwise, I might have to knock a few off myself and let you know.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

wendy o williams ... I have always had a thing about electrical tape

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Are You Game? - Update / Your Input: Please check list - Thanks:
    [QUOTE]wendy o williams ... I have always had a thing about electrical tape
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Really - you are sicker than me. I was She was insane and I loved her.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry to be such a girl about this, but I wanted your input for the final list of Favorite Female Rocker game.  Please remember that if we don't want this to go on forever and a day, the list should stay a reasonable length. Also, I left off some of the greats, as I would like to stick with rockers (Joni Mitchell is not on the list, for that reason, for example). Post adds if you see any glaring omissions or if you think any of the names are a complete waste of space.  Thanks!!  Alanis Morissette Ann Wilson Annie Lennox Bjork Cass Elliott Chrissie Hynde Christine McVie Courtney Love Debby Harry Grace Slick Gwen Stefani deleted name Janis Joplin Joan Jett Johnette Napolitano Kate Bush Linda Ronstadt Lisa Loeb Melissa Etheridge Pat Benatar Patti Smith PJ Harvey Pink Stevie Nicks Tina Turner
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I see Ann, but not her sister Nancy Wilson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Aretha and Chaka Khan for sure.

Sections
Shortcuts