Artist of the Day - Aerosmith

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Artist of the Day - Aerosmith

We haven't had an artist of the day for a couple of weeks and since this is Boston.com, why not disect the bad boys of Boston - Aerosmith. A very long career filled with ups, downs, highs, lows and everything in between.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - Aerosmith

Not a fan of anything they did since Joe Perry returned to the group in the early eighties. If fact I find them kind of boring.

Watching Tyler keeps your eyes from turning away, but the music is mediocre at best. I'm sure there were threads for overrated bands, and they come to mind quickly if the question was posted.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

I think they are a solid rock band with a career to be proud of. 

However, Tyler is doing his best to damage their legacy with his current antics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Aerosmith is a complete enigma. Now I do not expect a band (artists/songwriters) to write the same way in their 40's and 50's as they did in their 20's. But the 80's version of Aerosmith, except for a handful of songs became a dull, lifeless band. That being said; Albums 1 - 5 are a blueprint for all hard rocking bands to follow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

They set the bar so high with those first 4 or 5 records that given what the band has gone through, cannot be repeated. They have done some pretty bad stuff, Night In the Ruts comes to mind. I think it's pretty amazing that they are still together, all 5 original members, given all the personal struggles and drama (Tyler). The recent show at Fenway got a lot of mixed reviews; older fans felt let down, while fans of their later stuff seemed very content with it. I wasn't there, but thought the whole skirmish with Peter Wolf about not going out on the cat walk was childish, and a let down for everyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I actually liked Night in the Ruts or Right in the Nuts - whichever is preferred.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

It may not be the most proper thing to say, but I think they were better before they "cleaned up".  If they had stopped after Night In The Ruts, they would have had a reputable classic rock legacy intact, but - with a bare few exceptions - their output since has been below average.

That said, both Toys In The Attic and Rocks are classic rock gems of a high quality, and Get Your Wings is pretty close behind.  Through the first 5 or 6 albums, there were many more good tracks than bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Classic example of a band that should have quit (and stayed that way) while it was ahead.

Outstanding in its infancy. As good as anybody out there. Virtually unlistenable in the last 30 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I won't completely throw away everything they have done since the 70's. Janie's Got a Gun is a very good track and touches on a very sensitive subject. Although I thought they did it better with Uncle Salty.

I also like Living on the Edge, Jaded and about half the Pump album. But that song, Love In An Elevator - along with Dude Looks Like a Lady are two of the worst songs ever recorded in RnR history.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Aerosmith:
    [QUOTE]I won't completely throw away everything they have done since the 70's. Janie's Got a Gun is a very good track and touches on a very sensitive subject. Although I thought they did it better with Uncle Salty. I also like Living on the Edge, Jaded and about half the Pump album. But that song, Love In An Elevator - along with Dude Looks Like a Lady are two of the worst songs ever recorded in RnR history.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I agree on Janie's Got a Gun, it's there best song IMO that the so called new not old Aerosmith put out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If these guys had flamed out after Draw the Line, they would have gone down as a highly regarded and potent hard rock band who succumbed to their excesses.  But the endless stream of crappy tunes they have cranked out starting with Dude Looks Like a Lady has dragged their legacy into the mud while making them oodles of money.  I suspect that most of the blame lies with Tyler.  Lead singers of successful bands are supposed to be egomaniacs, but I think Steve has taken it to the next level.  The guy is insufferable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Steve Tyler sang the National Anthem for the Bruins hockey home opener last week, and he got a very good ovation. Of course his rendition of the National Anthem wasn't that great.

I'm not so sure that this band fell off the cliff post 70's though. Their overall albums were probably better in the 70's, but they had more hit songs in the 80's and 90's, with "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" being their only song to hit #1 on the Billboard 100. Their album sales were also better in the 80's and 90's.

They probably are America's greatest Rock and Roll Band, although they probably should retire now. And yes, they're in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I have to say they put out some good material in the late 80s and early 90s. I don't think being clean hurt them. It was a different sound than what they did in the 70s, but fans frankly need to accept that bands have a right to change over time like anyone else. I think they had two highs, in the early 70s and in the late 80s early 90s. The stuff in between I am not terribly interested in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Aerosmith:
    [QUOTE]Steve Tyler sang the National Anthem for the Bruins hockey home opener last week, and he got a very good ovation. Of course his rendition of the National Anthem wasn't that great. I'm not so sure that this band fell off the cliff post 70's though. Their overall albums were probably better in the 70's, but they had more hit songs in the 80's and 90's, with "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" being their only song to hit #1 on the Billboard 100. Their album sales were also better in the 80's and 90's. They probably are America's greatest Rock and Roll Band, although they probably should retire now. And yes, they're in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Oddly there only #1 hit song "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was not written by them, the writer's name is Diane Waren. She is a song writing #1 hit machine for artists like Mariah Cary and Celine Dion. They became more commercial during the 80's and 90's along with the help of MTV.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Wouldn't part with any of the Aerosmith CD's I own.

Wouldn't waste any money on anything they did after 1979.

They obviously enjoyed much success with younger fans in the 80's and 90's...but I think it came at a cost. They alienated the older fans.

Unlike the Stones, the Who and , say, Neil Young who always retained their legion of loyal fans, Aerosmith did not "grow up" with their longtime fans, choosing instead to make music for teenagers when they were in their 40's.

Right or wrong isn't the issue. They took a different road, that's all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well put, Zilla.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I actually liked Night in the Ruts or Right in the Nuts - whichever is preferred.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]The version of Walking in the Sand they had on that album was probably my favorite version of that song.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Wouldn't part with any of the Aerosmith CD's I own. Wouldn't waste any money on anything they did after 1979. They obviously enjoyed much success with younger fans in the 80's and 90's...but I think it came at a cost. They alienated the older fans. Unlike the Stones, the Who and , say, Neil Young who always retained their legion of loyal fans, Aerosmith did not "grow up" with their longtime fans, choosing instead to make music for teenagers when they were in their 40's. Right or wrong isn't the issue. They took a different road, that's all.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Aerosmith grew up, it was their fans who didn't. Sorry but its the truth. This is like Metallica fans who wouldn't give them an inch on antyhing that didn't sound like traditional metal. The best musicians evolve over time and don't limit themselves to a single style. Trying to sound the same over the years is a flaw, not a virtue. And Aerosmith suffered that flaw for years, until the 80s, when they actually tried out some new sounds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Carnie - agree with you on "Walking in the Sand".

FC - I don't think it had anyting to do with the band growing up and the fans not growing up. You can tell by their record sales that they did manage to keep much of their core audience.

The sound did change although much of the subject matter of the music didn't. It was just in the delivery where you can hear the differences. They wanted hit records and that is what they got. For someone like me, I was not a fan of those specific songs (mentioned above) where the attempt was so blatant. But then, who am I? Who knows what I would do when a few million $ were at stake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]Carnie - agree with you on "Walking in the Sand". FC - I don't think it had anyting to do with the band growing up and the fans not growing up. You can tell by their record sales that they did manage to keep much of their core audience. The sound did change although much of the subject matter of the music didn't. It was just in the delivery where you can hear the differences. They wanted hit records and that is what they got. For someone like me, I was not a fan of those specific songs (mentioned above) where the attempt was so blatant. But then, who am I? Who knows what I would do when a few million $ were at stake.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Got to disagree. The band had been aiming for, and achieving hits, before in the 70s. Their goals never changed, the style of their music evolved with the times. Again, nothing worse than trying to sound the same forever. That is death for a real musician.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Not a fan of anything they did since Joe Perry returned to the group in the early eighties. If fact I find them kind of boring. Watching Tyler keeps your eyes from turning away, but the music is mediocre at best. I'm sure there were threads for overrated bands, and they come to mind quickly if the question was posted.   
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

I agree. Disturbing run from 1986-Present.  They went from a rock band to a pop band.

Love their 70s material. Too bad they couldn't keep it together back then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Aerosmith : Oddly there only #1 hit song "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was not written by them, the writer's name is Diane Waren. She is a song writing #1 hit machine for artists like Mariah Cary and Celine Dion. They became more commercial during the 80's and 90's along with the help of MTV.    
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Basically, that toad John Kalodner (Sony Consultant with ZERO taste) got a hold of them and once their "hits" sold big, they got addicted to the recipe that made them money.

That's it in a nutshell for them.

It happens to most bands, but what's sad is, their more recent career is what more people know them as.  1979 was a long time ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

aerosmith were, are, and shall always be a band for their time.  In the '70s the took the rock and roll style of the day and created some fine music in the shadow of the bands of that era. (the stones, led zep, the who)  their music was never cutting edge.  You never think of them and say wow what innovators.  They never took music in a different direction.  They followed the same formula for the '80s and beyond.  It's just that the direction of popular music changed.  I think that they were very good at what they did and produced some really good music along the way but they never pushed the envelope as it were. They produced music for the time which they in. (80's - bon jovi, van halen, etc)