Artist of the day-Alice in Chains.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist of the day-Alice in Chains.

Probably my favorite group from the 90's.

They had a little Heavy Metal , a little alternative, a little punk and lots of grunge to their sound. This is the group that gets it right. Nirvana had it on a few tracks, Pearl Jam is close but too "classic rock" sounding. Stone Temple Pilots don't quite measure up. Soundgarden was closer to Heavy Metal.

I am not quite sure if it's the playing , the singing or the writing, but this is the complete package of what the "Seattle sound" was all about.

This was a group that never quite made it big in terms of fame, but for me they really had the right formula and flew under the radar as far as the general population is concerned, but to fans of hard rock they were giants of the decade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artist of the day-Alice in Chains.

Zilla - definitely my favorite band to emerge in music over the last 20 years. Musically, they were the best of the big 4 from Seattle. They leaned more towards the darker side. The lead vocal harmonies with Layne and Jerry were amazing. Man in the Box hooked me and Rooster just blew me away.

I heard the singer they recruited a few years back sounds amazingly like Layne, so I am hoping they will continue.

Great choice Zilla.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't know this band too well, but Rooster is a very cool, dark song.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Definitely my favorite band from the 90s, and the best to hail from Seattle, IMO, with Soundgarden being my other favorite. STP is from San Diego IIRC.

They had it all...great hooks, the heaviest grooves, and vocal harmony that is instantly recognizeable and perfect for a hard edged band, even with their more mellow stuff. Their Unplugged disc is probably my favorite unplugged ever. Layne was a tortured soul, and while I wasn't shocked by his passing, it was devastating. Their new vocalist, William Deval, sounds so much like Layne it's eerie. I got their latest as soon as it came out, and I love it. They were touring earlier this year and stopped in Boston and then again in Lowell (I think it was Tsongas Arena).

The Mass. band Staind did a great tribute song called "Layne" sometime in the mid 2000s, with the classic "perfect fourth" vocal harmony interval that Layne and Jerry made part of their trademark sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trBHjJJcX-Q&feature=related

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Not a huge grunge fan, but I always liked these guys from afar because Staley could really sing and write and Cantrell is a great guitar player. They were orginal, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I never went that crazy foe AIC, it's not that I dis-liked them or any thing, they just did not get me all that over the top.  Now as far as best band of the '90s I have to go with Radiohead.  The Bends and OK computer were so different from every thing that was out at that time. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I like Radiohead but I always thought them to be over-rated. But a good band none the less.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day-Alice in Chains.:
    [QUOTE]I like Radiohead but I always thought them to be over-rated. But a good band none the less.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

1995's The Bends is one of the best records of the 90s, and their best. 

People look to OK Computer, and I'll always pass off a copy of The Bends as an intro.

Overrated band, sure, but that record is as complete as you'll find.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Definitely one of my top ten of the 90s.  They had an ability only a few bands since Zeppelin could accomplish - play just as well heavy AND light.  Their acoustic sessions were marvels to behold and set the standard for that whole 'unplugged' revival.  My fave AIC tunes:

Got Me Wrong
    We Die Young
    Again
    Down In A Hole
    Man In The Box
    Would?
    Hate To Feel
    Brother
    Put You Down
    Sickman
    Nutshell
    I Stay Away
    Grind

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day-Alice in Chains.:
    [QUOTE]Zilla - definitely my favorite band to emerge in music over the last 20 years. Musically, they were the best of the big 4 from Seattle. They leaned more towards the darker side. The lead vocal harmonies with Layne and Jerry were amazing. Man in the Box hooked me and Rooster just blew me away. I heard the singer they recruited a few years back sounds amazingly like Layne, so I am hoping they will continue. Great choice Zilla.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Ewf.  Couldn't disagree more about Layne's "replacement."   The new guy can't hold a candle.  Frankly, I think he sound for the most part like Layne on the very last songs like "get born again" and "died"  -- higher pitched, little range, little depth, barely hanging on.

As for AIC itself?  I think it's more or less best bands from the 90s - though I think early Tool was outstanding, through Aenema at least.

AIC was one of those very few bands where the singer is better live than on albums.  And with such a clarity and power of voice.

Hell, even the Rio '93 concert (on youtube), he's got severe laryngitis but still comes through very powerfully.   Best version of "Godsmack" sung at that concert, imo.

For a 100% contrast, compare Axl Rose from any album with any post-1988 performance...    with very few exceptions, clean on the album, squaky/scratchy live.  Too bad he couldn't keep on singing live like he did at the Ritz '88 show.

...back to AIC/Layne...

Also, a fantastic performance "Live at the Moore" with Mad Season, in 1995, when he was supposedly too messed up to tour.  Particulalry the first 5 songs, which in order of performance were Lifeless Dead, River of Deceit, I don't know anything, long gone day, x-ray mind.  This is all on youtube, and the sound quality is perfect.

Apparently there's a VHS out, but never a DVD.... 

Frankly, I think some of the later peformances by Layne were among the best, (not the 98-99 recordings; he was done by then).  ie, the few concerts they managed in '96 and, of course, the unplugged show.   I think a couple of the last few live recordings ended up on their live album, ie, "God Am" "Again" and "A little bitter"; not so sure of the third, but DAMN was his voice good for the first two.  His voice is strong but wavering on "Again" and comes off as downright ghoulish.

Sections
Shortcuts