Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO.

These guys got kind of lost in the shuffle. Maybe some of you will say "with good reason"...but I always liked the innovative nature of this group.

They broke away from the guitar bands and created
    New Wave" without guitars. The theme of the band was about "De-Evolution, which I think is very real. Our culture has been going steadily down the toilet since the early 80's and DEVO seemed to know in advance that this was going to happen.

Along with other "innovative" bands of this time, Talking Heads, Blondie, Dire Straits , Thomas Dolby , Wall of Voodoo , I think we were seeing the early stages of 'Alternative Rock."

It was kind of refreshing , to hear some new groups who weren't just copying Bad Company, Rolling Stones and Styx but were going in a new direction. DEVO was at the forefront of this "New Wave." And I really loved it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO.

I would certainly consider DEVO as an alternative. I thought the music was more condusive to the club scene as opposed to just listening to it in the car or at home. I very much liked the turn they made with popular music. As far as I can tell, they are more than just a footnote in American music. They have their spot in history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I agree with Jessey. Devo is what you listen to in a club, where the lights change all the time, and movements don't look fluid, muck like their music.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Are we not men?"

I would consider Devo more "new wave" that "alternative," though I admit I can't really articulately explain the difference. This is a personal thing, but I've always considered "new wave" to be bands that emphasized synthesizers more than the electric guitar -- like Devo, Human League, Berlin, Blondie to an extent, Gary Numan, etc.

Devo has its place in history, but I was never a fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO.:
    [QUOTE]"Are we not men?" I would consider Devo more "new wave" that "alternative," though I admit I can't really articulately explain the difference. This is a personal thing, but I've always considered "new wave" to be bands that emphasized synthesizers more than the electric guitar -- like Devo, Human League, Berlin, Blondie to an extent, Gary Numan, etc. Devo has its place in history, but I was never a fan.  
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

According to exdodger fan, you are a closet Yankee fan. Where does your true fandom lie?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'll never forget my first exposure to these guys, singing the Stones' "Satisfaction" on Saturday Night Live. That was a colossal W-T-F? moment in my life. Certainly different than anything I had been used to seeing to that point. I think novelty carried them a long way and would certainly agree that they were a band that was designed to be seen and not simply heard.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Yeah!  Devo from Akron, Ohio.  I loved the songs: Whip It and Freedom of Choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Who's laughing?!

Devo is a legend in the electronic music world, and subsequent movie scoring by Mark Mothersbaugh has proven that his work with Devo was not just a flash in the pan.  Working in the Coalmine, Freedom Of Choice, Beautiful World, Through Being Cool, Whip It - all classics of the genre.

For better or worse, they were a arty, dominant new wave group with a solid base of influences (Brian Eno, Kraftwerk) and very influential in the 80s re: sampling and synthesizers.  Eurythmics, Soft Cell, Flying Lizards, Moog Cookbook and the aforementioned synth-pop groups all owe a little something to Devo.  I also think of bands like Ministry and Nine Inch Nails as following in their wake, eschewing guitars in favor of manufactured sounds.

Plus, they had an incredibly wry and edgy sense of humor and were big at the dawn of the technological revolution.  A very underestimated group, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO. : According to exdodger fan, you are a closet Yankee fan. Where does your true fandom lie?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

He judges me by the company I keep ... namely, you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

He judges me by the company I keep ... namely, you. (Lloyd)

I agree with him. You should be careful of the company you keep here in the cyberworld.

And really, a nice respectable gentleman as yourself should not be seen with the likes of a long-haired, screw authority, Italian American from the Bronx. It is not becoming.

Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

http://www.examiner.com/generation-x-in-national/devo-is-making-a-comeback-new-wave-band-performs-on-colbert-report-video

They aren't washed up either.  Looks like a comeback is in the works.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

ZILLAGOD, I'd like to see a monster flick where Godzilla is whipping his tail at skyscrapers while the music in the background is Whip It by Devo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Even though I wasn't a fan when they first came out. My brother later became a fan and influenced me to give them a listen and I liked some of what I heard. I like novelty music anyway, so that kind of helps. I do get a kick out of some of their music and I don't dismiss them. Some of my faves are "Whip It" (obvious choice), "Girl U Want" and "Mr. B's Ballroom." Actually, the album those songs come from, Freedom of Choice is a pretty good one. "Beautiful World" is another song I like.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Glad you all feel as I do, that they were more than a "novelty act."

Personally I like "Speed Racer" and their remake of "Secret Agent Man."

Being a huge Science Fiction reader and movie watcher, I also like "Space Junk."

By the way , a side note to jesseyeric and Lloyd, the guy who calls himself exdodgerfan does not appear to be playing with a full deck. But , then again, my deck has 52 cards in it but I've replaced the 7's, 8's and 9's with all jokers. It is a common thing on "front burner" to be called a closet Yankee fan(or worse) the minute someone doesn't agree  with you're opinion(I had a guy 'IvanDrago', who was contradicting everything I said, and getting real nasty about it, I tried to explain  that it's only in good fun and it's 'AN OPINION'...he didn't listen and I finally had to report him).I discovered this a few ago when I was new. At first I would get into heated arguments, but that didn't last long. I decided many of these people aren't worth it, so now I keep it light and just laugh, I just have lots of fun with serious people who don't comprehend that sports, music and movies are for our entertainment , not something we should be get all agitated and cursing each other out over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]Glad you all feel as I do, that they were more than a "novelty act." Personally I like "Speed Racer" and their remake of "Secret Agent Man." Being a huge Science Fiction reader and movie watcher, I also like "Space Junk." By the way , a side note to jesseyeric and Lloyd, the guy who calls himself exdodgerfan does not appear to be playing with a full deck. But , then again, my deck has 52 cards in it but I've replaced the 7's, 8's and 9's with all jokers. It is a common thing on "front burner" to be called a closet Yankee fan(or worse) the minute someone doesn't agree  with you're opinion(I had a guy 'IvanDrago', who was contradicting everything I said, and getting real nasty about it, I tried to explain  that it's only in good fun and it's 'AN OPINION'...he didn't listen and I finally had to report him).I discovered this a few ago when I was new. At first I would get into heated arguments, but that didn't last long. I decided many of these people aren't worth it, so now I keep it light and just laugh, I just have lots of fun with serious people who don't comprehend that sports, music and movies are for our entertainment , not something we should be get all agitated and cursing each other out over.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Your comment about a deck with 52 cards reminds me of a line from the Statler Brothers song, "Flowers on the Wall" that goes: "Playin' solitaire till dawn, with a deck of fifty-one". I think  a lot of the posting that goes on at the Sox forum is the moral equivalent of that. You just can't win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1di8sGxWc&feature=related

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO. : Your comment about a deck with 52 cards reminds me of a line from the Statler Brothers song, "Flowers on the Wall" that goes: "Playin' solitaire till dawn, with a deck of fifty-one". I think  a lot of the posting that goes on at the Sox forum is the moral equivalent of that. You just can't win. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1di8sGxWc&feature=related
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I remember "Flowers on the Wall", it was played on the old Soupy Sales show many years ago when I was a tike.

Very possible that I accidently stole the joke about the cards, not many jokes are original anymore. There have been so many great comedians it is almost impossible to have an "original" joke. But I don't care most of the great ones are dead, somebody has to carry the torch...and I make no money with it , so who cares, right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day- and please don't laugh....DEVO. : I remember "Flowers on the Wall", it was played on the old Soupy Sales show many years ago when I was a tike. Very possible that I accidently stole the joke about the cards, not many jokes are original anymore. There have been so many great comedians it is almost impossible to have an "original" joke. But I don't care most of the great ones are dead, somebody has to carry the torch...and I make no money with it , so who cares, right?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

"Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo now don't tell me...I've nothing to do" Great song.