Artist of the Day - David Bowie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - David Bowie

Agreed ... but you forgot what he did for '80s pop with his "Modern Love" period which was also top notch IMHO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Bowie rocks.  Lots of good tunes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I know jkj. If I was to list them all, I would still be at it.

As for me, nothing beats the early 70's with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Starman (off ziggy) ,which I have heard aprox 1 billion times, is one of those rare songs that can still raise the hairs on the back of my neck when I hear it on the radio

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I was actually checking out the youtube for Starman last night which led me to start this thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One of the all-time greats: creative, intuitive, influential, outstanding musician/songwriter/mentor and one of the few who actually set trends instead of following them.  (If this was baseball, he would be a five-tool player.)  He's even a decent actor (check his turn as Warhol in "Basquiat).

"Hunky Dory" is high on my list for favorite albums.  "Ziggy..." and "Low" are not far behind.  I always encourage people to listen more to his late-70s work with Brian Eno - which to me is a bit more challenging and therefore more rewarding.

"Let's Dance" (full version), to me, is one of the best tracks of the 80s (with Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar).  And even his 90s output has some bright moments ("Jump They Say", "Heart's Filthy Lesson", "I'm Afraid Of Americans").  The latter stuff, to me, only makes sense when considered with his Berlin records.  His tour with NIN around that time was exhilarating stuff - not for the timid.

It's hard to know what to say about Bowie that hasn't already been said.  The man's a musical genius - a true artist in every sense of the word with a brilliant volume of work to his credit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Early Bowie is great stuff.. Post 90's.. not so good stuff

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I've logged many hours listening to Bowie.

I love that he is a chameleon ( I like reptiles). He doesn't stay in any one style long enough to get stale ( Neil Young does this too).

Among my Bowie highlights :

Diamond Dogs (LP)
    Five Years
    Sweet Thing/Candidate
    Ashes to Ashes
    Cat People ( Putting Out Fire With Gasoline)
    Sound and Vision
    Starman
    All The Young Dudes ( live version)
    1984/Dodo
    David Live (LP)
    China Girl ( although I also like Iggy's version...it's more raw and unpolished)
    Station to Station
    TVC15

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Hard to add much to what hasn't already been said. The 70s would be my favorite period of his, and for some reason, Young Americans stands out as the disc I played the most. Something about a skinny, chameleon limey capturing the Philadelphia soul sound and making it out as if he's done it for years. The lineup for that record is pretty incredible...Luther Vandross, Carlos Alomar, David Sanborn, Earl Slick, and of course Lennon. Fascination is just an amazing track. Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that when I really dug into that record I was working like a rescue dog as cook and deck hand on a deep sea fishing boat, far away from everything I knew and loved...it was my anchor after working a sixteen hour shift. That and Steely Dan kept me sane.

I like almost everything he's done, with the exception of Tin Machine; that just didn't work as well as it could have. Maybe it was the timing. And it's hard to go wrong working with Brian Eno...the man is a wizard, and it seems like everything he touches turns to gold, although his ambient stuff isn't for everyone. Eno deserves his own thread. Having Robert Fripp on guitar didn't hurt either (Scary Monsters). You can clearly hear Fripp's manic sound on "Fashion". Bowie is one of the few musicians that I haven't seen live but would gladly travel to do so, as long as it's not at a freakin' stadium...guess I'm too old for the stadium concert scene. Wink

I need to check out Aladdin Sane...not sure I've ever really listened to it, and didn't realize it was all covers. Snow storms are a good time to catch up on lost tracks of the past....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I think you made a mistake on Bowie LPs ... Aladdin Sane is mostly original material (with the exception of "let's Spend The Night Together").  The LP you are thinking of is Pin Ups.... That being said I think Aladdin is amazing and one you should listen to ... on the merits of Panic In Detroit alone, every other song is just a bonus... the title track is also stand out Bowie

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - David Bowie:
    [QUOTE]I think you made a mistake on Bowie LPs ... Aladdin Sane is mostly original material (with the exception of "let's Spend The Night Together").  The LP you are thinking of is Pin Ups.... That being said I think Aladdin is amazing and one you should listen to ... on the merits of Panic In Detroit alone, every other song is just a bonus... the title track is also stand out Bowie
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

You are correct. That's what happens when I go without sleep for a few nights. Insomnia is no fun. Thanks for straightening that out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - David Bowie:
    [QUOTE]I think you made a mistake on Bowie LPs ... Aladdin Sane is mostly original material (with the exception of "let's Spend The Night Together").  The LP you are thinking of is Pin Ups.... That being said I think Aladdin is amazing and one you should listen to ... on the merits of Panic In Detroit alone, every other song is just a bonus... the title track is also stand out Bowie
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder, "Panic in Detroit" belongs on my list.

Sections
Shortcuts