Innovative - Yes
    Influential - I believe so
    Muscially tasteful - definitely
    Exciting - One of the great live shows in RnR History
    Hitmakers - they had their share
    Heavy - when they wanted to be, they could be the heaviest
    Technique - Perhaps the greatest keyboard player and drummer in RnR history
    Memorable albums - everything right up to Love Beach

So why doesn't this band come up in the conversation with the other heavyweights?

What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer

The fact that ELP is not in the R&R Hall of Fame is just flat out ridiculous. As musicians they were just phenomenal. There was a time when ELP was the biggest band in the world, which many people seem to forget. I remember my older brother waiting days to buy tickets to see them. The hysteria surrounding their concerts rivaled anything the music world had seen up to that time.  In fact, I remember one DJ referring to them as picking up where the Beatles had left off. I think too often they get lumped in with other progressive rock acts of the 70's such as Yes, and Kansas, and that may work against them.

As song writer's they were just brilliant. "Take A Pebble," is still my favorite ELP song. It is just a musically imajinative piece with it's combination of major/minor notes, and changes. Lake's opening solo to "From the Beginning ," is one of the most recognized classic rock riffs ever, and every guitar players dream.  The fact that they were able to pull of Copeland's "Fanfare For the Common Man, " and make it sound new just spoke to how great of musicians they really were (are).

They are one of R&R pantheons and were extremely influential. They have been credited with keeping Rock alive in the 70's when a lot of folks were going disco, or punk., or worse. They deserve their due.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well said Polar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Awesomely talented group.  Greg Lake had one of the great voices, a thing of beauty.  Emerson was arguably the supreme master of rock keyboards.  Palmer was a brilliant drummer.  

I love the huge concept pieces like Tarkus and Karn Evil 9.  Both among the masterpieces in rock history.  And they were also capable of exquisite short pieces like From the Beginning.

The only downside would be Emerson's occasional tendency toward excess, and the inclusion of some silly stuff like Jeremy Bender and Benny the Bouncer.  But I love these guys.  One of my ten favorite bands.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I loved Jeremy Bender

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer:
    [QUOTE] They have been credited with keeping Rock alive in the 70's when a lot of folks were going disco, or punk., or worse. Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

First of all, what's worse than disco?

Secondly, Rock was very much "alive" in the 70's and was in no danger of dying. If you look at the quantity and quality of Rock groups in history, the 70's had both.

Thirdly, Punk is an offshoot or subgenre of Rock itself.

I enjoyed reading your post and agree with all but this statement, as I have been a huge fan of rock since the 60's and quite a collector (the overwhelming majority of my collection is from the 70's) and I have never heard where ELP was considered the prime Rock group at the forefront of saving Rock in the 70's. We still had a number of "heavyweights" such as Jethro Tull, Ted Nugent, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Neil Young and ZZtop making great albums around that time...I am perplexed by this "ELP saved the music statement".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer : First of all, what's worse than disco? Secondly, Rock was very much "alive" in the 70's and was in no danger of dying. If you look at the quantity and quality of Rock groups in history, the 70's had both. Thirdly, Punk is an offshoot or subgenre of Rock itself. I enjoyed reading your post and agree with all but this statement, as I have been a huge fan of rock since the 60's and quite a collector (the overwhelming majority of my collection is from the 70's) and I have never heard where ELP was considered the prime Rock group at the forefront of saving Rock in the 70's. We still had a number of "heavyweights" such as Jethro Tull, Ted Nugent, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, Neil Young and ZZtop making great albums around that time...I am perplexed by this "ELP saved the music statement".
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

What I probably should have said is they were just one of a handful of groups responsible for keeping Rock relevant and in the mainstream when groups like the Bee Gee's, Barry Manilow and KC and the Sunshine Band. etc. were gaining in popularity along with more top 40 oriented music. I agree that all the artists you listed, among others, were quite innovative, popular and important, but it just seemed to me the hysteria surrounding ELP in the early to mid 70's was something special, sort of like when Springsteen exploded after Darkness in 78. I saw the "works" tour in 1977, and the atmosphere was electric.  Whether that qualifies as saving Rock, probably not,  but it certainly didn't hurt either.

I stand corrected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Love the Trilogy album. From the beginning is a classic. My only chance to see them was 12 summers ago at the E-centre in Camden NJ and the concert was cancelled when Emerson was taken sick. I'm prety sure it was Kieth and not Greg Lake that got sick. It was all 3 members and not Powell this time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer : What I probably should have said is they were just one of a handful of groups responsible for keeping Rock relevant and in the mainstream when groups like the Bee Gee's, Barry Manilow and KC and the Sunshine Band. etc. were gaining in popularity along with more top 40 oriented music. I agree that all the artists you listed, among others, were quite innovative, popular and important, but it just seemed to me the hysteria surrounding ELP in the early to mid 70's was something special, sort of like when Springsteen exploded after Darkness in 78. I saw the "works" tour in 1977, and the atmosphere was electric.  Whether that qualifies as saving Rock, probably not,  but it certainly didn't hurt either. I stand corrected.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

When stated that way, I can see your point much clearer.

And would say you are 100% correct, funny you mention Bruce Springsteen , I think maybe HE is the one who Time magazine put on the cover of their magazine in the mid 70's and nominated the "saviour" of Rock'n'Roll music from the vast evils of such horrible inventions such as disco "soft rock"(never understood that one!) and Funk ( which had some good moments (Brothers Johnson and Johnny "Guitar" Watson, {who was a kind of Rock/Blues/Funk hybrid}, but was basically an offshoot of disco)

But, I have rambled on and strayed from the topic. So with all apologies, I will comment on ELP.

ELP were prog rock heavyweights, the album "Brain Salad Surgery" is an alltime fave, the song "From the Beginning" is perhaps my favorite of all prog rock tunes. "Nutrocker", "Still You Turn Me On", "Take a Pebble" and "Knife Edge" are other great songs. Groups they inspired such as Asia have a very ELP feel to their music without copying it exactly, but instead drawing inspiration from the group ( not coincidently Palmer was an early member).

The world of Prog Rock would have been robbed of one of it's finest members had there been no ELP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer : When stated that way, I can see your point much clearer. And would say you are 100% correct, funny you mention Bruce Springsteen , I think maybe HE is the one who Time magazine put on the cover of their magazine in the mid 70's and nominated the "saviour" of Rock'n'Roll music from the vast evils of such horrible inventions such as disco "soft rock"(never understood that one!) and Funk ( which had some good moments (Brothers Johnson and Johnny "Guitar" Watson, {who was a kind of Rock/Blues/Funk hybrid}, but was basically an offshoot of disco) But, I have rambled on and strayed from the topic. So with all apologies, I will comment on ELP. ELP were prog rock heavyweights, the album "Brain Salad Surgery" is an alltime fave, the song "From the Beginning" is perhaps my favorite of all prog rock tunes. "Nutrocker", "Still You Turn Me On", "Take a Pebble" and "Knife Edge" are other great songs. Groups they inspired such as Asia have a very ELP feel to their music without copying it exactly, but instead drawing inspiration from the group ( not coincidently Palmer was an early member). The world of Prog Rock would have been robbed of one of it's finest members had there been no ELP.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QU

I seem to remember that Springsteen cover, as well as the one Time did in the 80's proclaiming U2 as the new saviors of Rock. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - Emerson Lake and Palmer : When stated that way, I can see your point much clearer. And would say you are 100% correct, funny you mention Bruce Springsteen , I think maybe HE is the one who Time magazine put on the cover of their magazine in the mid 70's and nominated the "saviour" of Rock'n'Roll music from the vast evils of such horrible inventions such as disco "soft rock"(never understood that one!) and Funk ( which had some good moments (Brothers Johnson and Johnny "Guitar" Watson, {who was a kind of Rock/Blues/Funk hybrid}, but was basically an offshoot of disco) But, I have rambled on and strayed from the topic. So with all apologies, I will comment on ELP. ELP were prog rock heavyweights, the album "Brain Salad Surgery" is an alltime fave, the song "From the Beginning" is perhaps my favorite of all prog rock tunes. "Nutrocker", "Still You Turn Me On", "Take a Pebble" and "Knife Edge" are other great songs. Groups they inspired such as Asia have a very ELP feel to their music without copying it exactly, but instead drawing inspiration from the group ( not coincidently Palmer was an early member). The world of Prog Rock would have been robbed of one of it's finest members had there been no ELP.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I had that Springsteen cover on my dart board.

As for ELP, even my father gave them a nod. The old man hated RnR with a passion but he enjoyed good musicians. ELP along with Jeff Beck were the bands my father wouldn't scream to turn down.

Does anyone recall the rumor that if Hendrix had not died, he was going to join up with ELP when they were first discussing formation and they were going to go by the name of H.E.L.P.

I always thought that it was pure fantasy, but it certainly would have been interesting if it was true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't know if Rolling Stone magazine controls the R and R Hall of Fame or what, but it's interesting to note that the Rolling Stone Album Guide I own, 2002 edition, completely omits any entries for ELP or Deep Purple.  The sheer effrontery of that is amazing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if Rolling Stone magazine controls the R and R Hall of Fame or what, but it's interesting to note that the Rolling Stone Album Guide I own, 2002 edition, completely omits any entries for ELP or Deep Purple.  The sheer effrontery of that is amazing.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That is hard to believe, but I'm not surprised. After all this is the same magazine that just put out It's list of the top 100 beatles songs.  I know it was to coincide with the "40th anniversary of "Let It Be," but how does one choose the best Beatles song ever. That is like Chocolate or Vanilla, or Red Sox -Yankees, everyone is sure to have a different opinion.  Don't get me wrong I love the Beatles, and I've always liked Rolling Stone, but I just find it hard for any one magazine to choose the best beatles song. Just my opinion and sorry for going a bit off-topic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if Rolling Stone magazine controls the R and R Hall of Fame or what, but it's interesting to note that the Rolling Stone Album Guide I own, 2002 edition, completely omits any entries for ELP or Deep Purple.  The sheer effrontery of that is amazing.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, it's not a printer's error is it (i.e. pages missing)?  I just wonder, because I've unwittingly bought remanded books in that condition.

It just seems like way too egregious to me....

Edit:  Sorry, I didn't mean to question your thoroughness...I looked online a bit and realized that such blatant omissions are commonplace for the most pretentious (and exceedingly irrelevant) culture magazine ever.