Artist of the day: Eric Clapton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Artist of the day: Eric Clapton

We haven't had an artist of the day in a while, and I think we should show slowhand some love. Here's a couple of my favorite youtube clips.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSHNW96fEQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBeerUD-zc&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2eAEhtXvE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8uk7vlk0sE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Tiqv4Irjs&feature=related

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artist of the day: Eric Clapton

This is a difficult one for me. As much as I am a big fan of Clapton, I admit that I have not always liked the direction he has gone with his music.

As for his playing, there is no question as to how great he is. He can go in several directions and always sound great. Clapton plays tasty! he took up the mantle of bluesman and stuck with it.

That being said, I really have not enjoyed much of his stuff since the mid - late 70's. I wish he had never recorded I Shot the Sheriff. I think his rendition of Cale's Cocaine is an over bloated piece of music. And I don't even want to discuss his longe music act.

I did appreciate the reunion gig with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. Those Cream shows rocked and Clapton was on his game.

I respect him for who he is & for doing what he wanted to do. But I admit that when it comes to Clapton - I am stuck in the 60's and early 70's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Great guitarist but I find his music to be very boring.. Not a fan

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ever since he won over pattie boyd from harrison, he hasn't had any motivation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Interesting comments, jessey, and well said.  I'd like to hear from others who know more about Clapton's legacy.   Is he gaining a new audience, and losing part of his old audience?  Or are they merging? 

For me, the meaning of the songs notwithstanding (death of his son for the first song, and Boyd for the second), "Tears in Heaven" and "Wonderful Tonight" were songs that totally turned me off.  Some of his other signature songs are not much better.   So I'd like to hear more about how great he was before he started to write songs that were in that league, if anyone else has comments to share.

carnie: Awesome clips.  Nice. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

his solo on while my guitar gently weeps by the beatles is my favorite thing he has ever done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I Love Layla for a couple of reasons. First it's just a great song that to me is one of those songs that you can say defines a decade, i.e. the 70's.

Moreover, my wife plays the piano, and I play the drums to the second half of the song where the piano chord's predominately kicks in. Every now and then I'll break down the kit in the basement and bring it up to the family room where the piano is, and we'll play together. That piece is one that we both love to play and one we've practiced the most. Even though it's missing clapton's guitar it still sounds pretty good to me. Even my little kids like it! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I think "The Core" is an excellent tune, but do agree he lost that edge when he stopped doing heroin. (good for him, bad for us)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It'll be interesting to hear his work on the new Robbie Robertson album.  I think I read that Clapton co-wrote and plays on 7 of the 12 tracks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day: Eric Clapton:
    [QUOTE]Interesting comments, jessey, and well said.  I'd like to hear from others who know more about Clapton's legacy.   Is he gaining a new audience, and losing part of his old audience?  Or are they merging?  For me, the meaning of the songs notwithstanding (death of his son for the first song, and Boyd for the second), "Tears in Heaven" and "Wonderful Tonight" were songs that totally turned me off.  Some of his other signature songs are not much better.   So I'd like to hear more about how great he was before he started to write songs that were in that league, if anyone else has comments to share. carnie: Awesome clips.  Nice. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I always liked "Wonderful Tonight" and I am not sure why.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]It'll be interesting to hear his work on the new Robbie Robertson album.  I think I read that Clapton co-wrote and plays on 7 of the 12 tracks.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Google "AOL new Music Releases" and that is one of this weeks LPs available to listen to

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I got reamed last year for this ( I think it was Zilla) but I'm not a fan of Clapton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'll admit when I started this thread I was primarily thinking of his blues stuff, as well as his work with delaney and bonnie, as well as j.j. cale. I agree that his music took a real downturn from the late 70s and on into the 80. I really liked the unplugged turn he did on mtv, as well as the album that came out of it. Since then he's done some nice stuff with stevie ray vaughn, and some good acoustic stuff as well imo. I don't know how many here have seen Scorsese's film The Last Waltz, but Clapton turns in one of the better guitar solos I've heard on Further On Up The Road there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]I'll admit when I started this thread I was primarily thinking of his blues stuff, as well as his work with delaney and bonnie, as well as j.j. cale. I agree that his music took a real downturn from the late 70s and on into the 80. I really liked the unplugged turn he did on mtv, as well as the album that came out of it. Since then he's done some nice stuff with stevie ray vaughn, and some good acoustic stuff as well imo. I don't know how many here have seen Scorsese's film The Last Waltz, but Clapton turns in one of the better guitar solos I've heard on Further On Up The Road there.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    I was impressed with Robbie Roberson taking over for Clapton (he snapped a string).  I don't know if it was staged or it just happened but he took the lead for a bit and played very Claptonish...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day: Eric Clapton : I was impressed with Robbie Roberson taking over for Clapton (he snapped a string).  I don't know if it was staged or it just happened but he took the lead for a bit and played very Claptonish...
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]He did sound good right there. Of course Robbie was on fire that whole night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

"Crossroads 2" Is a 3 disc set of him live through out the '70s.  There is some intense playing on these discs.  He has a jam with Carlos (in Providence RI) that is well worth the price of admission.