Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers

I'll just give you folks the name and let you make the comments.

I don't think there is any doubt that they are awesome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Unapologetic bar-blues band, and though lacking a certain amount of finesse, George is a very good blues guitarist and has an instantly recognizable style. 

In some ways, he was a forerunner to Stevie Ray - as were the Destroyers to Double Trouble...they recorded some of the same songs.  He re-introduced many blues classics to a younger audience and filled the smoky air of many a barroom and pool hall.

With George, there's no confusion...you always know what you're gonna get...and it's pretty good, too.  Always loved his versions of "Who Do You Love" and "Madison Blues".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

His solo acoustic take of Robert Johnson's 'Kind Hearted Woman' on their debut was one of the first tunes I ever learned to play on guitar by listening to it over and over.  Before that if I didn't have tab or the sheet music or someone else showing me how it's done I was toast. 

He was also my direct link to John Lee H-o-o-ker (way to go BDC, I can't spell his name straight.  You guys remind me of that Jimmy Kimmel skit where they take a politician talking straight and bleeping out innocent words and letting the viewer think otherwise). 

He didn't age well for me though and I hit the button on my car radio anytime the one or two songs they occasionally play come on now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Hard Stuff is a nice sounding song.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Oh my . . .

How many years has it been since we used to pack the Stone Balloon in Newark, DE to see these guys?

Simply outstanding.

"Scratch my back, baby."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The song that 'hooked' me was "It Wasn't Me"

Yes Slim, the pun is intended.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have to say, even to this day, when I walk into some gin mill, I am always hoping that it will be George and the boys coming out of the Juke Box.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers:
    [QUOTE]His solo acoustic take of Robert Johnson's 'Kind Hearted Woman' on their debut was one of the first tunes I ever learned to play on guitar by listening to it over and over.  Before that if I didn't have tab or the sheet music or someone else showing me how it's done I was toast.  He was also my direct link to John Lee H-o-o-ker (way to go BDC, I can't spell his name straight.  You guys remind me of that Jimmy Kimmel skit where they take a politician talking straight and bleeping out innocent words and letting the viewer think otherwise).  He didn't age well for me though and I hit the button on my car radio anytime the one or two songs they occasionally play come on now.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

I stll can't wrap my arms around the fact that BDC has deemed H-oo-ker a bannable word.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'm probably going to delete this post, but since I have a connection to George, I feel compelled to mention it.

George hit on me in a bar in Cambridge!   He is the most "famous" person to have ever hit on me, so it's special!   Seriously!

I was at the bar and my BF went to talk to some friends, and shortly after, George sat down next to me!  Ok, full disclosure: I did not recognize him, and therefore, did not know who he was, which made it VERY easy for me to talk to him, laugh and get a kick out of this "older guy" hitting on me.  He was a lot of fun to talk to! 

When George finally left, my BF came back and said "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS??????????"   ---   OMG!   I could not stop laughing!!

So ever since,  I've been a bit of a fan!   Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I'm probably going to delete this post, but since I have a connection to George, I feel compelled to mention it. George hit on me in a bar in Cambridge!   He is the most "famous" person to have ever hit on me, so it's special!   Seriously! I was at the bar and my BF went to talk to some friends, and shortly after, George sat down next to me!  Ok, full disclosure: I did not recognize him, and therefore, did not know who he was, which made it VERY easy for me to talk to him, laugh and get a kick out of this "older guy" hitting on me.  He was a lot of fun to talk to!  When George finally left, my BF came back and said "DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS??????????"   ---   OMG!   I could not stop laughing!! So ever since,  I've been a bit of a fan!  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I love stories like this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers : I stll can't wrap my arms around the fact that BDC has deemed H-oo-ker a bannable word.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Only in Boston.  On one of the Guitar message boards I visit, if you type in a cuss word it gets automatically replayed with the word 'banjo'.  To our way of thinking that's one of the dirtiest words you can come up with.   If BDC had a sense of humor they'd do something similar.  Hook-e-r gets replaced with 'Yankee Fan', etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day- George Thorogood and the Destroyers : Only in Boston.  On one of the Guitar message boards I visit, if you type in a cuss word it gets automatically replayed with the word 'banjo'.  To our way of thinking that's one of the dirtiest words you can come up with.   If BDC had a sense of humor they'd do something similar.  Hook-e-r gets replaced with 'Yankee Fan', etc.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

It's really funny some words you can and can't say.

It was very hard to discuss an ex-Yankees pitcher Chien-ming W--- as you can't say his last name.

Occasionally , I try to make a point and find there is a word I can't use. I really don't mind as I feel my vocabulary is good enough so I can still get the point across, and we don't need these boards turning into gutter-speak. But when the word is someone's last name , all you can do is leave out letters or sub in various symbols.