Artist of the Day - QUEEN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Artist of the Day - QUEEN

Blame Tcal - he put me in a Queen mood and I have been listening to them all morning.

By now, everyone here knows that I am a Queen and Freddie junkie. From the first time I heard Liar and Keep Yourself Alive on the radio, I was hooked. They took the best that Zep had to offer and added this pomp and circumstance to it like it had never been done before.  And vocal ranges on Freddie, Roger and Brian that no one else could touch.  I saw them open for Mott way back when and I was so utterly devastated by their live show that they became the first band that I would go see and want to see the show straight. They made me high. Their second album - "The original Black album"; sorry Metallica was a masterpiece. Their 3rd album, Sheer Heart Attack, introduced the world to speed metal, "Stone Cold Crazy". And I cannot even put into words the beauty of Killer Queen. Even Dave Mustaine who has little regard for anyone has been quoted regarding his love of Freddie and the music him and the boys gave the world. And then there is Bohemian Rhapsody. Fan, unfan - doesn't matter. Everyone knows this song. If you look at the words "musical innovation" in a musical guide, you will see a picture of Queen and a write up on this classic. They followed up Night at the Opera with so many more classic albums. Tie Your Mother Down was as heavy as anything before it, but it kept that unique soul that was Queen. Even their foray into disco was so far superior to anything actual disco bands released. I am very proud to say that my "Disco S*cks" t-shirt had Queen emblazened on the back. In the end, Queen's appeal in America waned, but grew stronger everywhere else.

The best part about Queen was not the music that filled the radio airwaves, it was the music that got little fanfare from AOR radio. Ogre Battle, Lap of the Gods, Father to Son, White Queen, Drouse, Far and Away and so many others.

And as for their live show - sorry Mick, Roger, Robert, Axl and all the rest - if Freddie was onstage, their was no one better. Didn't matter where you sat, Freddie brought the show to you, even those in the nose bleed seats at MSG. Brian May doesn't get the credit he should as a master musician and Roger Taylor just plain rocked. And I will not forget John Deacon - the man could lay serious bass lines down. And if you saw clips of Live Aid - there is no doubt of who the stars of that concert was. Just you tube Radio Ga-Ga and you will see the audience and Freddie as one.

One more thing - now I don't know about Fenway, but "We will Rock You lives at Yankee Stadium and our season is never complete unless we hear, "We are the Champions".

I have ranted enough. Cause I can go on forever. In fact, I did in college as I minored in music and Queen was my year end paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ti2P_z5IPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkpNwI2XMpY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ&feature=related

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Artist of the Day - QUEEN

Well, I don't have to clean up after myself when I'm done listening . . .

but you have to admit Queen was a rare combination of talent and personality that lived out on the cutting edge.

One caveat, though . . .  and this surely must have been mentioned in one of the "Done to Death" threads . . .

If I never hear "We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions again . . .

that will be one time too many.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I still remember the first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody. I must have been 11 and still living in Hyde Park. A teenager lived next door and he must had it cranked up with the window open because I was outside playing and heard it coming from his house. I didn't know who sang it -- not even sure I knew who Queen was. But he played it a couple of times, and I rmember thinking it was a cool song.

I think it was a couple of years later when I started listening to FM album rock stations when I heard it again and remembered that was the song I heard a few years ago.

As for other songs, I like to joke that Queen sings my theme song: "I Want It All (And I Want It Now).

My absolute favorite Queen song is "The Show Must Go On." It's a great song in its own right from lyrics, the opening music riff, a great Brian May lead guitar solo. I still get chills listening to his solo.

Then what makes it so poignant is that he recorded it when he knew he was dying of AIDS. The song just blows me away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - QUEEN:
    Well, I don't have to clean up after myself when I'm done listening . . . but you have to admit Queen was a rare combination of talent and personality that lived out on the cutting edge. One caveat, though . . .  and this surely must have been mentioned in one of the "Done to Death" threads . . . If I never hear "We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions again . . . that will be one time too many.
    Posted by p-mike

Agree Mike -except when the Yanks win it all. Then it is allowed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Top 10.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I still remember the first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody. I must have been 11 and still living in Hyde Park. A teenager lived next door and he must had it cranked up with the window open because I was outside playing and heard it coming from his house. I didn't know who sang it -- not even sure I knew who Queen was. But he played it a couple of times, and I rmember thinking it was a cool song. I think it was a couple of years later when I started listening to FM album rock stations when I heard it again and remembered that was the song I heard a few years ago. As for other songs, I like to joke that Queen sings my theme song: "I Want It All (And I Want It Now). My absolute favorite Queen song is "The Show Must Go On." It's a great song in its own right from lyrics, the opening music riff, a great Brian May lead guitar solo. I still get chills listening to his solo. Then what makes it so poignant is that he recorded it when he knew he was dying of AIDS. The song just blows me away.
    Posted by royf19

I agree about that song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADh8Fs3YdU

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I find many Queen songs enjoyable. I don't love them as much as most do , but I would never knock them. They were unique and that in itself was not an easy feat in the early 70's

The song "Another One Bites the Dust" was just another song to me until I heard the Weird Al Yankovich parody "Another One Rides the Bus"...now I can't think of one without the other. Weird Al really outdid himself on this one. It is still hilarious after all these years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

During the 86 playoffs, Larry Bird went nuts when they started playing "Another one bites the dust" in Houston.  He said afterward, "I HATE that song" and went on a rampage scoring about 30 pts in the second half to shut them up.

And then, when we won the final game in Boston, WBCN played "We are the champions" 16 times in a row with no commercial interruption. 

Never paid much attention to their music until years later but then became a fan. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

As a child, I vividly remember listening to and staring at the cover of my big sister's News Of The World LP, with the killer giant and screaming mob, and thinking, these must be some pretty scary guys.

My mom used to play the intro to "Bohemian Rhapsody" on our little stand-up piano...until I started taking lessons and doing the same.  Later, I overheard the schoolyard arguments that there was NO way "Another One Bites The Dust" was sung by a white guy...it was just way too funky.  My cousin would play "Dragon Attack" over and over again. 

Suffice it to say that there was and never will be a band quite like Queen.  They brought out the spectacle in rock, the majesty of power chords and vast arenas.  They took the most accessible parts of prog rock, added hard rock riffs and piano chops and impeccable vocal delivery from one of the greatest frontmen ever to grace the stage.  Regardless that their excesses were partly the reason for the emergence of punk-rock, nobody did excess like they did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This is one of those bands who I'm not a huge fan of but I recognize their talent (especially Brian May) and influence.

"Keep Yourself Alive" and "You're My Best Friend," two very different songs, are my faves. On the other hand, "Bicycle Race" couldn't stink any more. Ditto "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."

Oh, and Jess, if I might make a nomination for a future Artist of the Day: Pretenders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

My Queen mix:

Keep Yourself Alive
    Great King Rat
    Sheer Heart Attack
    Brighton Rock
    Killer Queen
    Fat Bottomed Girls
    Get Down, Make Love
    Stone Cold Crazy
    I'm In Love With My Car
    Tie Your Mother Down
    The Seven Seas of Rhye
    Somebody To Love
    Play The Game
    Under Pressure (w/ Bowie)
    I Want It All
    A Kind Of Magic
    Princes Of The Universe (Highlander geek)
    I Want To Break Free
    The Show Must Go On

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - I am a Highlander geek myself.

Good list, but except for Seven Seas of Rhye, you have competely bypassed Queen II. My list would include every song on that LP.

Queen II
    Tarkus
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Court of the Crimson King

Greatest prog. rock albums ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think you could make a great album out of some of the lesser-known tracks from the first three albums:

Doing All Right
    Great King Rat
    Modern Times Rock'N'Roll
    Jesus
    Procession/Father to Son
    Ogre Battle
    March of the Black Queen
    Seven Seas of Rhye
    Brighton Rock
    Tenement Funster
    Flick of the Wrist
    Now I'm Here 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think you could make a great album out of some of the lesser-known tracks from the first three albums: Doing All Right Great King Rat Modern Times Rock'N'Roll Jesus Procession/Father to Son Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen Seven Seas of Rhye Brighton Rock Tenement Funster Flick of the Wrist Now I'm Here   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

You can't have Ogre Battle without Fairy Feller's Master Stroke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I do like The Master Stroke...consider it added.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Now I'm Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OSd17ko3O4

Liar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7rqB9E_0M&feature=channel

Keep yourself Alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg&feature=channel

Good Old Fashioned Lover boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI3LAgGBxqU&feature=related

Save Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3izcZd9zU&feature=related

Play The Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5O-nUiZ_0&feature=channel

Fat Bottomed Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0&feature=related

Imagine what this band could have done with their early music and videos now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Matty - I am a Highlander geek myself. Good list, but except for Seven Seas of Rhye, you have competely bypassed Queen II. My list would include every song on that LP. Queen II Tarkus Dark Side of the Moon Court of the Crimson King Greatest prog. rock albums ever.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Fair enough.  But except for "Night At The Opera", I never really considered Queen in terms of complete albums, so I picked my favorite songs.  At your suggestion, I will definitely give Queen II another listen from front to back.

Even so, IMO, it doesn't hold up as well as a total package than the others you mentioned...or, for that matter, other prog rock long-players like Selling England By The Pound2112, or even Fragile.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - QUEEN : Fair enough.  But except for "Night At The Opera", I never really considered Queen in terms of complete albums, so I picked my favorite songs.  At your suggestion, I will definitely give Queen II another listen from front to back. Even so, IMO, it doesn't hold up as well as a total package than the others you mentioned...or, for that matter, other prog rock long-players like Selling England By The Pound ,  2112 , or even Fragile.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Matty - You have to give it another listen.Although not when it was first released,  most music publications  believe it to be their best work and it is the one and only time that I have ever agreed with critcs. It flows smoothly from one song to the other. The issue with II is that except for Seven Seas of Rhye, it didn't really have that perfect single on it. Personally I think it blows away everything including Fragile and I know every word to every song on Fragile. But that is what makes music amazing - everyone can draw different opinions from the same thing.

Quote from Wiki: Queen II is the second album by British rock group Queen, released in March 1974. It was recorded at Trident Studios, London in August 1973 with co-producers Roy Thomas Baker and Robin Cable, and engineered by Mike Stone. Released to an initially mixed critical reception, the album has since been cited by a number of music publications, fellow musicians and fans as one of the band's finest works.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the Day - QUEEN : Matty - You have to give it another listen.Although not when it was first released,  most music publications  believe it to be their best work and it is the one and only time that I have ever agreed with critcs. It flows smoothly from one song to the other. The issue with II is that except for Seven Seas of Rhye , it didn't really have that perfect single on it. Personally I think it blows away everything including Fragile and I know every word to every song on Fragile. But that is what makes music amazing - everyone can draw different opinions from the same thing. Quote from Wiki : Queen II is the second album by British rock group Queen , released in March 1974. It was recorded at Trident Studios , London in August 1973 with co-producers Roy Thomas Baker and Robin Cable, and engineered by Mike Stone . Released to an initially mixed critical reception, the album has since been cited by a number of music publications, fellow musicians and fans as one of the band's finest works.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Oh, I will...have no fear. 

That's part of the reason I like this board - to remind me of music I may have overlooked or dismissed the first time and/or to turn me on to something new and exciting...not to mention getting ideas to augment my collection.

And, for what it's worth, I rarely, if ever, pay much heed to what "the critics" say (unless it's to bolster my own opinions)...especially about more progressive music.

I'd much rather hear the opinions of true music fans....