Artist of the day-Robin Trower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Artist of the day-Robin Trower

I'll admit I have picked this one based on my own admiration for this artist.

Many of the other artists and bands we have discussed were groups that have had good to moderate success on the charts.

Some facts about Robin Trower:

Was not at Woodstock.
    Never has an LP mentioned as "greatest album ever."
    Does not have a frequently played song on classic rock FM stations.
    Never had a hit single.
    Still records and performs to this day.
    Often mentioned in the top 10 of all-time great rock/blues guitarists.
    Hardly anyone who casually listens to rock music knows who he is.

I group Robin Trower( the group) as one of my favorite groups to listen to, and Robin Trower ( the man) as one of the top 10 guitarists of Rock history alongside of Clapton, Hendrix, Santana,Van Halen, Blackmore, Vaughn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Artist of the day-Robin Trower

One of the best shows I ever saw in the 70's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bridge of Sighs was one of the great albums of the Seventies and Day of the Eagle was one of the best songs. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I've never heard of Robin Trower before, but "Bridge Of Sighs" sounds very good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d1HilfLxA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Artist of the day-Robin Trower:
    [QUOTE]I've never heard of Robin Trower before, but "Bridge Of Sighs" sounds very good to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d1HilfLxA
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Please make sure you check out the 'Day of the Eagle' video put up by 'rodrigovet'-it's just the album track.  Then you will also see a bunch of the other album tracks from Bridge of Sighs listed:

The Fool and Me
    Little Bit of Sympathy
    In This Place
    Too Rolling Stoned
    Lady Love

A phenomenal album that has stood the test of time.  The first time my wife heard it a few yeears ago she couldn't believe how good it was or that she had never heard him before.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day-Robin Trower : Please make sure you check out the 'Day of the Eagle' video put up by 'rodrigovet'-it's just the album track.  Then you will also see a bunch of the other album tracks from Bridge of Sighs listed: The Fool and Me Little Bit of Sympathy In This Place Too Rolling Stoned Lady Love A phenomenal album that has stood the test of time.  The first time my wife heard it a few yeears ago she couldn't believe how good it was or that she had never heard him before.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

You're lucky to have a woman who appreciates Robin Trower. Mine thinks KC and the Sunshine band is good music...everytime she says this a part of me dies a slow death. Thankfully she likes Clapton and Dylan, so it's not a total washout talking music.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Artist of the day-Robin Trower : You're lucky to have a woman who appreciates Robin Trower. Mine thinks KC and the Sunshine band is good music...everytime she says this a part of me dies a slow death. Thankfully she likes Clapton and Dylan, so it's not a total washout talking music.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

My wife's tastes are diversified-she loves Deep Purple and Guns N Roses, but she also loves Kool and the Gang and that stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Back to Trower - let's not forget that he was instrumental in the success achieved by Procol Harum - one of my all-time favorite bands. And he also recorded two albums with Jack Bruce. (BLT and Truce)

Trower must be considered one of the greats.

Nice choice Zilla

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There is a really excellent book about Robin Trower, Rory Gallagher, Steve Marriott & Rick Derringer.  It tells the stories of their lives and their recording careers mainly through interviews with the artists or with the people who know/knew them best.  Thanks to this magical internet I found out the author was living here in Hfx and we get together for coffee from time to time.  I do his tax return and I can testify he didn't make a pile of money off the book, but it's a great read.  Here's the link to the Amazon listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallagher-Marriott-Derringer-Trower-Their/dp/0634029568/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288829848&sr=1-1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Trower always flies under the radar. He's forgotten like a Kosoff or a Marc Bolan usually is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Trower always flies under the radar. He's forgotten like a Kosoff or a Marc Bolan usually is.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Although I know many people do not know Kossoff, it is understandable as he died about 35 years ago.

Trower not only is still alive, but he still plays and records.